Thread: Rift between Republicans, Conservative party on display

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Rift between Republicans, Conservative party on display

Rift between Republicans, Conservative party on display as EC Legislature names a new member

The Erie County Legislature on Thursday, as expected, approved the appointment of a new member who will take the seat previously held by Conservative Joseph C. Lorigo. But in doing so, Legislature Republicans sparked a diatribe from Lorigo's father, County Conservative Party Chairman Ralph Lorigo, who wanted the officials to name his daughter-in-law to the post and suggested that their failure to do so will cost those who seek his party's backing in the future.

All this took place as Republican legislators talked about ushering in a period of improved cooperation, communication and collaboration with the Democratic majority, who hold a 7-to-4 advantage in the Legislature.

The elder Loroigo's comments came as the three Republican legislators who compose the minority caucus were preparing to name Elma Councilman James Malczewski to the Conservative-held 10th District seat, even though Malczewski was a Republican until Joseph Lorigo's seat became available.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/r...GsKEHd3rOz6SyY

I understand why they had to put a Conservative in that post because the previous official was a Conservative.
    I never could understand when the Republicans outnumbered the conservatives in the legislature
    why a conservative was their leader. Even when the Republicans outnumbered the democrats and the
    conservatives the majority leader was of a minority party.

Was that all due to threats from the erie county conservative party chair?
    it seems to be a common trait with the conservatives. I belong to mu local conservative party because I'm a fiscal conservative.
    It seems that our local conservative officials haven't been to conservative. I will stay with the party as I want my vote to count.

Georgia L Schlager

The former Town of Hamburg supervisor candidate, Stefan Mychajliw who loved his town so much that when he lost the election, he moved to Elma.
    Wonder of he will be appointed to the empty Elma town board seat?

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The former Town of Hamburg supervisor candidate, Stefan Mychajliw who loved his town so much that when he lost the election, he moved to Elma.
    Wonder of he will be appointed to the empty Elma town board seat?
    He loved it so much he moved. That is like when you see town board members involved in their town for years..."Working for the seniors" etc... When they become senior you'd think they would like what they created. Many tend to move.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I understand why they had to put a Conservative in that post because the previous official was a Conservative.
    I never could understand when the Republicans outnumbered the conservatives in the legislature
    why a conservative was their leader. Even when the Republicans outnumbered the democrats and the
    conservatives the majority leader was of a minority party.

Was that all due to threats from the erie county conservative party chair?
    it seems to be a common trait with the conservatives. I belong to mu local conservative party because I'm a fiscal conservative.
    It seems that our local conservative officials haven't been to conservative. I will stay with the party as I want my vote to count.
    I see how these people think they are royalty.

Appointing his daughter in law seems a bit odd. Then to threaten others if she's not appointed means his position has gone over his head.

I find his argument a little specious in that Joe Lorigo changed from a Democrat to a Conservative in order to get nominated to run for that seat without petitioning or a chance of a primary in the first place.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

That's interesting. When they do that in Lancaster, they're looked at as demons but when a Conservative gets an early Conservative endorsement and switches parties to Republican, it's ignored or accepted.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren View Post
    I find his argument a little specious in that Joe Lorigo changed from a Democrat to a Conservative in order to get nominated to run for that seat without petitioning or a chance of a primary in the first place.
    It's amazing that he was deemed "not recommended" to serve on the State Supreme Court by the Erie County Bar Association, which is the lowest rating that can be given in a judicial election and the people still voted for him.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information