Thread: Shameful Jan 3, 2023, Lancaster Town Board Meeting

Shameful Jan 3, 2023, Lancaster Town Board Meeting

Politics at its worse!

The debacle begins at the opening of the ‘work session’ that precedes the regular town board meeting. Supervisor Ronald Ruffino introduces representatives from EBC (Payroll, HR & Payroll Solutions, Inc.) and Lumsden & McCormick, LLP (Finance) declaring he came up with a proposal to save the town money – to take over Payroll and to be our Finance Director and handle HR (Human Resource as well. “It will save the town a lot of money and we won’t have to pay employee benefits as well, declared Ruffino.

Ruffino asked the board whether they had any questions. Councilman Robert Leary declared his first question was: “Why weren’t we notified they were going to be here this evening and first seeing this suspended resolution right now. I would have been better prepared. This is unacceptable.”

Ruffino declared it was suspended because there are some issues in the Attorney’s Office. After Leary declared he didn’t understand what Ruffino was doing bring this up tonight; asking whether the town had a copy of all the contracts. Ruffino said the Town Attorney had a copy of all the contracts.

Attorney Fowler interjected that he had a copy of the contracts but did not bring them with him. Leary asked Fowler how long the contracts were for and was informed for one year and that Fowler thinks there was an out-clause contract agreement, if he was not mistaken (later affirmed by the firm representatives), that the contract could terminated by either party without cause (revocable).

The firms were asked to make their presentations and while doing so expressed that Supervisor Ruffino reached out to them and they assured the board that they were able to handle payroll, finance, and HR in all its needs, as they do for other towns and villages.

Supervisor Ruffino interjected that they came in at the worst possible time to help us out; at the end of the year and when some people left office. “My whole office basically left,” said Ruffino. Ruffino turned to Leary and declared: “Thanks to you because they were sick of being harassed by you.”

Leary responded: “Ron, that is an utter lie.”

Ruffino: “It is not.”

Leary: “It is a lie and since you want to go on the record here, I am going to recognize our Town Clerk, Ms. Terranova, who I know happened to speak to all the people that left.”

Town Clerk Terranova: “I spoke to every person that had left your office (resigned). The reason I was told for their leaving had nothing to do with the four council members.”

Ruffino: “Anyway, I have to make sure we make payroll, and that the people get paid.”

Suspended Resolutions

Both firms were retained by the town at a flat fee of $8,200 each to provide payroll, finance, and HR services. Councilman Leary voiced he would vote ‘yes’ on the need to continue providing town services and making payroll.

Public Comments

Resident Greg Sojka addressed the board and reminded Supervisor Ruffino that upon his taking office he was quoted in a 2020 news report declaring improving employee morale was a top priority for the new town boss. “That would be you, Mr. Supervisor. “Right now the town is short an Accountant, an Assistant to the Supervisor, a Director of Administration & Finance, Pay Roll Supervisor, and a Pay Roll Supervisor Part-time. Why are so many people leaving your office? Why are so many people leaving your department? The town is not being represented and the workers are not being protected.”

Ruffino: “I was told by some of these employees they were not leaving because of me, leaving because of the bully tactics of a council member.”

Leary: “A total lie and again I will turn it over to Town Clerk Terranova. I have nothing to do with these people. It is your office; you are the Supervisor.”

Sojka: “So you just blamed Councilman Leary for everyone leaving your office. Is that correct?’

Ruffino: “I did. That’s what I was told by the employees.”

Leary: “This is ludicrous. I again call on the Town Clerk to respond.”

Town Clerk Terranova: “I spoke with every person…

Ruffino: “Did you talk with Pam (Cuviello, Director of Administration & Finance)?”

Terranova: “I spoke with everyone that left and was told it was not because of the board members.”

Leary: “Pretty serious allegations here, Mr. Supervisor. You are lying and playing politics.”

Resident David Rinow addressed the board and asked the Town Attorney whether it was a crime to harass someone until they quit their job. Fowler responded that it can be. Rinow addressing Ruffino said that is what you just accused him (Leary) of doing.

Next: Organizational Meeting Resolutions

The circus is still in town!

If you listen to the 2022 chairman of the LIDA at their last meeting of the year, you'll hear that Mr Leary's harassing extends to the LIDA members as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYz04d1uQhM#t=18m40s
    Last edited by gorja; January 5th, 2023 at 05:20 AM.

Georgia L Schlager

Bullying tactics

I see Psycho, oops I Sojka ( damn autocorrect) is up to his usual antics again. At a time where we need to reduce government spending this clown along with his lemmings continue to use their bully tactics to continue to force their way on the resident. Saving money to tax payers is where we should be looking, not adding more payroll unless you got more patronage jobs to fill. BTW how many more patronage jobs have been promised??? Leary is just a human megaphone for the Psycho, Rimrow & Roidoli clan who believe they can scare everyone into believing they know what’s best for the residents. They have been & continue to be an embarrassment to Lancaster residents & continue to allow the bull**** to go on regardless of the outcome as long as it fits their agenda. Can’t wait until these clowns start endorsing democrats AGAIN (Terranova) & if you don’t like it they will block, threaten & even go as far as attempting to take a swing at someone. Nobody wants to run against them as they spread vicious lies & rumors about the opposition but when one of their own does wrong (Dickman), they pass the blame on anyone with in earshot except where the blame should lie. Expect a clown show as long as these idiots think they can run Lancaster as their little own business.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    If you listen to the 2022 chairman of the LIDA at their last meeting of the year, you'll hear that Mr Leary's harassing extends to the LIDA members as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYz04d1uQhM#t=18m40s

Are you saying that Leary’s harassing extends to all the LIDA members? All of them or just Chair Fudoli? Didn’t Mayor Ruda say she didn’t receive any personal messages? I listen to all the LIDA livestreamed meetings and not have heard any mention of harassment or undue board influence by any outside individual until this last meeting of the year. I will be interested to hear from the other LIDA board members on whether they were harassed as well.

I was surprised by LIDA Chair Fudoli’s resignation and claim of doing so because of undue influence of a board member when considering LIDA appointees are sworn in to ‘serve at the will of the Town Board’. Surprised more so because Fudoli, as well as the rest of the board, made it openly known they were blindsided by the resignation of Supervisor Ruffino and its Chief Financial Officer Cuviello shortly after their appointments (immediately after Supervisor threw a hissy-fit that he was not elected Chair), and where the new board struggled through the year to correct policies, procedures and processes that were in violation of good government standards by past boards

For Fudoli to claim the current LIDA is anti-development after understanding and supporting the new board’s mission to ensure IDA’s that have merit and are in the best interest of the community are improved – unlike IDA’s that were approved through the years where there was no job creation, patronage and no identified revenue gain for the town, no claw back efforts, etc.

Fudoli not only threw Leary under the bus but his fellow board members as well. Anti-development, really! Or will developers finally be held accountable to come before the board with correct zoning, meeting all environmental impacts addressed and Town Board project approval before applying for an IDA. Not getting IDA approval first and cajoling the Town Board to get approval because the IDA thinks it’s a go.

Disappointed in hearing that Fudoli is leaving under duress. That is not the man I knew as Supervisor who would never walk away from fighting for what was he believed was right, and in the best interest of the community.

Honestly, I do not believe that there would be any reason for Fudoli to make the allocation up.
    Fudoli has nothing to gain by stating why he was not requesting reappointment.

Todaro did not ask for reappointment either.

Since Leary is a product of the Sojka/Lemaster regime, do you think the family members of the Sojka/Lemaster regime
    are going to admit any interference or discussion by or with him?

People have to have blinders on to believe that every accusation against the councilman whether from a democrat or republican is false.

He is a bully not an angel.

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=gorja;2078460]/QUOTE]

Honestly, I do not believe that there would be any reason for Fudoli to make the allocation up. Fudoli has nothing to gain by stating why he was not requesting reappointment.

So, the guy who was also labelled a bully, a liar, and a cheat when in office and later seeking re-election now becomes the victim and is to be believed as having no agenda - according to someone who also labelled him so at the time?

Todaro did not ask for reappointment either.

Are you inferring Todaro is also leaving the LIDA because of harassment from Leary? If so, where are you getting that from?

Since Leary is a product of the Sojka/Lemaster regime, do you think the family members of the Sojka/Lemaster regime are going to admit any interference or discussion by or with him?

People have to have blinders on to believe that every accusation against the councilman whether from a democrat or republican is false.

He is a bully not an angel.

Confused. By saying Leary is a ‘product’ of Lemaster and Sojka regimes are you inferring they are also bullies and not angels, scripting Leary’s agenda and/or defending his every activity? Leary has not performed up to my expectations as well – a ‘blank’. That’s politics. But I have not read or heard anything that would indicate Lemaster or Sojka interference or cover up.

You have turned this thread political. I will be editing my next post on coverage of the Organizational Meeting to reflect the political side; and we can continue there. Who is the real bully, reason for max exodus from Supervisor’s office, Ruffino’s public claim to be the only f’en conservative on the town board, the LIDA BS!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    So, the guy who was also labelled a bully, a liar, and a cheat when in office and later seeking re-election now becomes the victim and is to be believed as having no agenda - according to someone who also labelled him so at the time?
    I have not heard that Fudoli is seeking election to any office. So, what reason do you believe he would have to lie? There doesn't seem to be any political reason as you're indicating that he has an agenda..

Posted by Lee:
    Are you inferring Todaro is also leaving the LIDA because of harassment from Leary? If so, where are you getting that from?
    Just stating a fact.

Posted by Lee:
    Confused. By saying Leary is a ‘product’ of Lemaster and Sojka regimes are you inferring they are also bullies and not angels, scripting Leary’s agenda and/or defending his every activity? Leary has not performed up to my expectations as well – a ‘blank’. That’s politics. But I have not read or heard anything that would indicate Lemaster or Sojka interference or cover up.
    He's their candidate. They are family. Nothing political about it.

Georgia L Schlager

From what I've seen, read, and heard, I tend to agree with Leary being a bully. At the very least, he is rough around the edges, impolite and occasionally downright rude. He also seems to uses questionable political tactics and name calling quite frequently. That may have worked for him in his law enforcement career but I expect a higher standard of conduct from him, especially as an elected official.

Thread Information