Thread: What does Welfare total out to?

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    So, all this talk about NYS being the welfare state and all and I read that welfare cases in NYS have been cut 40 percent in the past 11 years and that the costs of welfare represent less than two percent of the state budget.

What am I missing here???

I think the word welfare has been adopted by many as a descriptive term for any type of assistance.

You have housing programs, Food Stamps/EBT, HEAP, Medicaid and Welfare. This 5-pack is enough to have someone live 100% of the government and what some refer to simply as welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    I think the word welfare has been adopted by many as a descriptive term for any type of assistance.

You have housing programs, Food Stamps/EBT, HEAP, Medicaid and Welfare. This 5-pack is enough to have someone live 100% of the government and what some refer to simply as welfare.
    Personally i consider welfare any gov't payout you haven't paid into payroll deductions... so everything but SS and medicare.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

I posted this on another thread:

I would like to just clarify a couple things. I believe that when people use the label "welfare" they most often mean "cash assistance". But I have seen that different people also attach different meanings to that label-meaning medicaid food stamps, subsidized housing etc. NYS does not use the label "welfare" anymore and hasn't for a long time.

The programs are Temporary Assistance (aka cash assistance or public assistance). If you are eligible for cash assistance then you are most likely eligible for medicaid and food stamps. However a person can be eligible for medicaid only or food stamps (aka non-temporary asstance food stamps or non-public assistance food stamps) only without having to apply for the cash. Also a person can be eligible for daycare, heap and subsidized housing seperately without being on cash assistance.

Medicaid is the state medical program. Medicare is the Social Security program & can only be receieved if one is receiving social security benefits like SSI, disability or retirement. Those receiving social security depent benefits are not eligible for Medicaid.

Food stamps also has a new name as per the feds: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP. Again people can apply for this program alone.

Hope this helps
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

So, I am hearing that "cash" welfare is temporary under federal rules and are linked to jobs (workfare) but other assistance, medicaid, food stamps and such are not.

Medicaid isn't such a problem here except for the "enhanced" benefits offered to NYS "clients" which go beyond what is required or reimbursed by the federal government.

Food stamps...I wonder sometimes if I am the only one paying for groceries with my own money sometimes.....

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    So, I am hearing that "cash" welfare is temporary under federal rules and are linked to jobs (workfare) but other assistance, medicaid, food stamps and such are not. Maybe I didn't explain it well. The labels of "cash assistance", "temporary assistance" and "public assistance" are used by people to usually mean "welfare"--those people receiving money,medicaid and food stamps. In NYS the proper name for this is Temporary Assistance. Follow me so far?

There is a separate medicaid program and a separate food stamp program. People can receive food stamps only or medicaid without the money if they qualify for those programs

Medicaid isn't such a problem here except for the "enhanced" benefits offered to NYS "clients" which go beyond what is required or reimbursed by the federal government.

Food stamps...I wonder sometimes if I am the only one paying for groceries with my own money sometimes.....

b.b.
    I know that most people get confused about the difference in the entitlement programs so I hope I helped to clarify this.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Thread Information