Thread: Buffalo’s no stranger to snow. Why was the storm so deadly?

Buffalo’s no stranger to snow. Why was the storm so deadly?

As an old guy born and bred in the City of Buffalo and fortunate enough to survive every major storm since the mid-forties, this was the most frightening I experienced. Worse than the blizzard of 77 regarding duration, wind velocity, sub-zero chill factors, and resulting deaths. I say worse than 77 even though I was stuck in traffic during much of the 77 blizzard and never made it home until it subsided.

Homebound for 5 days I was fortunate not to have lost power. I don’t believe I would have survived without it. I was awed by emergency responders and workers who saved numerous lives; too often risking their own lives to save those foolish enough to have ignored the warnings and/or travel bans.

The following is an excellent report on what can happen to a region experienced in such events and a city with a reputation of: “Its Buffalo, they can handle it!” Winter has just begun, and we have already had 100 inches of snow.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bu...ly/ar-AA15IItM

I believe it's a situation of, "I know better than they do. I'll do what I want." Then they ended up stuck or dead.

We had tons of warning and time to get supplies. In 77 there was little to no warning. People just went to the nearest house or business if they were stuck and just waited out the storm.

Work for most should have been called off on day one morning.

On the deaths - sad but the reality is people die everyday from one thing or another - to hype them now is sad.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

yaksplat
    I believe it's a situation of, "I know better than they do. I'll do what I want." Then they ended up stuck or dead.
    Not always the situation where individuals became victims of decisions based on personal circumstance – financial needs, employer directives and absence of paid absentee plans. 60% of workers declare living paycheck-to-paycheck.

There is that percentage of individuals, and always will be, who ‘know better.’ They continue to make poor decisions despite ample warnings and after experiencing storms that are becoming more frequent and intense. An individual arrested in Cheektowaga in shorts and sandals looking to score drugs. A young couple out and about with a disabled child to see for themselves how bad conditions were. Both having to be rescued and putting the lives of their rescuers in danger.

We had tons of warning and time to get supplies. In 77 there was little to no warning. People just went to the nearest house or business if they were stuck and just waited out the storm.
    Indeed, there was ample warning to get supplies and to hunker down when the driving ban was instated. There was no such warning in 77, and yes there was a lot more snow that blew in off the lake – 100 inches in certain areas. It is reported peak wind gusts of 69 mph were reached I was in and out of the storm from 12n on the first day, never getting home until 7:30 the following morning. I do not remember the wind screaming as it did with our 72 mph clocked gusts when out shoveling.

The death toll in 77 was 23. It has just been reported at 37, and there will be more. The blame game will continue. Poloncarz is now yapping at Brown for not clearing the city’s secondary roads fast enough. The city was locked down for over a week in 77.

Climate change is real. Our storms are becoming more frequent and intense. Perhaps we can free up some of that money we spend to help others in finding a solution to take care of our own issues by creating solutions.

BTW – I was interesting to hear from a few individuals renting apartments fully equipped with electrical appliances, grateful they did not lose power, as they would have lost heat, the ability to use their electric fireplaces, and the ability to warm their food or have a hot cup of coffee or tea. But hey, they are suffering the same in Ukraine and no one seems to give a ****!

Blizzard death toll grows; Poloncarz apologizes for criticizing Buffalo's snow removal
    Buffalo News

There have been 39 storm-related deaths in Erie County. Thirty-one of the deaths happened in Buffalo, including the last 13 confirmed deaths. Of the 39 Erie County deaths, seven happened in Amherst, Cheektowaga, Williamsville, and Depew. Officials are still trying to determine where one death occurred,

Seventeen of the people were found outside in Erie County, 11 were found in a home and four in a vehicle. Four of the deaths were cardiac events while a person was removing snow, and three died because of delayed emergency response during the blizzard.

Poloncarz apologized for comments he made Wednesday when he criticized snow removal efforts in the City of Buffalo, calling it "embarrassing" that the city "is always the last one to open" after a major storm. The county executive said he apologized "for letting my emotions getting the best of me."

"I basically lost my focus; I will say that" Poloncarz said. "And I do apologize to our community for doing it, because the focus needs to be on the recovery efforts, as well as, unfortunately, helping the community members who've lost a loved one grieve as a result of this terrible, terrible situation."

Poloncarz apologized to "the community," as well as families of those who lost a loved one and City of Buffalo Department of Public Works employees. Poloncarz on Thursday said he called Mayor Byron Brown on Wednesday night, as well as sent him text messages, but he said the two had not yet spoken

Thread Information