Thread: Fraudulent, specious campaign mailers: I’m shocked - NOT

Fraudulent, specious campaign mailers: I’m shocked - NOT

An interesting report considering we experience the same scenario every primary and election in Lancaster; disingenuous, scurrilous, deceitful, unidentified campaign mailers distributed with the intent to ruin an individual's character and integrity.

Would that the same fate falls on individuals / political parties in Lancaster who have likewise issued such mailers and found success in duping unsuspecting recipients unaccustomed to recognizing no ‘sender’ was on the political hit piece and no basis in truth and for acceptance.

Ronald Walker
    Chairman, City of Tonawanda Republican Committee
    November 22, 2022

Tonawanda, NY- As we near the one-year anniversary of the passing of, Thomas Newman, who served the City of Tonawanda as First Ward Councilman beginning in 2018 and served as Chairman of the Republican Committee beginning in 2020 after which I was elected to succeed him after being nominated by his Widow Kerrie, as the City of Tonawanda Republican Committee Chairman.

Our dear friend Tom was re-elected to serve the residents of the City of Tonawanda in November of 2021 after a very contentious race.

Tom prided himself on his honesty and integrity as Councilman and as then Chairman of the Republican Committee, which I wholeheartedly plan to continue.

During a City wide campaign he guided his candidates to not lower the high standards he had set. While Tom was running for re-election; a mailer was distributed within the First Ward that personally attacked Tom and his family. Tom and his wife suffered almost unbearable emotional stress, and high anxiety because of this. The mailer that was distributed clearly lacked the “Paid for by…” footer. The residents of the First Ward saw through this disingenuous and mis-information mailer, and overwhelming supported Tom Newman in his bid for re-election. Shortly after his re-election, Tom passed away in December of 2021.

On October 21, 2021, a complaint was filed with the New York State Board of Elections, Division of Election Law Enforcement (DELE) against the City of Tonawanda Democratic Committee (CTDC) and the Erie County Democratic Committee (ECDC). DELE investigated that complaint. “The piece was nothing but a slanderous attempt to ruin a man’s character and reputation in a community that he contributed to and loved,” said Ron Walker.

“The New York State Board of Elections, Division of Election Law Enforcement determined that the City of Tonawanda Democratic Committee was personally responsible for circulating this mailer”, added Ron Walker.

The Erie County Democratic Committee is led by Chairman, Jeremy Zellner, (City of Tonawanda Resident), also another familiar name on the Erie County Democratic Committee is Vice-Chair and current City of Tonawanda Democratic Committee Chair; Gayle Syposs. “These two are responsible for this hit piece that was circulated in our city. Tom and his family suffered a great deal of emotional pain and suffering after this mailer was sent. “This type of politics has no place in our city. That style of politics goes on at the national level and has no place in our close-knit community, personal attacks may have been popular 40 years ago. But it sure isn’t what our residents deserve or will tolerate now, and nor will I,” says Ron Walker.

The DELE thoroughly investigated this matter and decided that 103 pieces of campaign materials without any attribution were apparent violations of NYS Election Law, Section 14-106 (2). Each violation where a person knowingly fails to identify, any political communication shall be subject to a civil penalty up to one thousand dollars or up to the cost of the communication, whichever is greater.” said Ron Walker.

As a result of the violations, DELE and Erie County Democratic Committee settled on a $10,000 civil fine. Erie County Democratic Committee was responsible for paying the $10,000 fine for their blatant disregard to Election Law. “Tom stood for what was right and honest. He deserved to be treated with respect.”

“Our community has every right to know the findings of this investigation and will stand up against this kind of Big city politics, in our little City. Being that the ECDC was responsible for the mailing and whereas the CTDC was contacted and chose to condone it, and blatantly ignore it, is why, at this time, I am requesting the public apology from Mr. Zellner and Ms. Syposs, to, first and foremost, the Newman Family, also to the City of Tonawanda Republican Committee, and to the citizens of the City of Tonawanda. I know for sure Tom wouldn’t let his committee send anything like this out, and neither will I,” Mr. Walker said. “That’s not the type of politics our great city deserves.”

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    An interesting report considering we experience the same scenario every primary and election in Lancaster; disingenuous, scurrilous, deceitful, unidentified campaign mailers distributed with the intent to ruin an individual's character and integrity.

Clearly shows you the people in political parties we are dealing with.

Thread Information