Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Store anti theft devices: when the bell rings do YOU stop?

Exclamation Store anti theft devices: when the bell rings do YOU stop?

Personally I dont stop. Most people do and turn around and are all set to allow the store, which has no legal grounds, to search them. Seriously what is up with that?

If you bought something, and are holding the receipt, those items are now yours and are now in YOUR possession. Just cause their bell rang doesnt give the store or its employees to search your stuff or your person.

Its a constitutional right, as american citizen to be secure in your person from unlawful searches and siezures.

It is also up to the courts, and the plaintiffs to prove that your guilty of a crime. By turning around and saying 'search me im guilty!' you are giving up a fundamental right as an american citizen. WHat evidence do they have besides a bell ringing that you MIGHT have 'stolen' something? did someone see you pocket an item? maybe caught it on film? wheres the evidence that you broke the law?

99.99% no such evidence exists, yet every day millions of people acrossed our country, willingly, and unknowingly give up their right to NOT be searched.

It would be like me, walking up to your front door, ringing your door bell, then walking into your home to search your home. What would give me the right to do such? Nothing.

infact, that would be illegal.

Same thing goes for a store which employs such 'tactics'

A private company can not search you, or your stuff. That is illegal, and a violation of your constitutional rights. A police officer could search you, but only with probable cause, and a bell ringing as probable cause? come on... thats pretty weak.

Yet, we are being conditioned, to give up our rights, to be secure in our person and allow ANY form of 'authority' (store employees) to search us, and our belongings with out any protest, or legal grounds to do such.

Walking into a store, doesnt magically make all your rights as an american citizen vanish into thin air. You didnt leave the country, and the company and its employees expect to be able to take advantage of their constitutional rights, so why cant you, as a patron, a customer of said store?

Also, its not about being evasive or guilty of a crime. Its about standing up for the rights, our constitution gaurentees every citizen of our nation, and if you wont stand up for your rights, then no one will.

The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures. The amendment specifically also requires search and arrest warrants be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

If the device is avtivated, it's probably only because the clerk forgot to remove it. And a clerk can be fired for this. It's polite to stop, if this happens, and let security remove it.

If any of the help in a retail place of business tries to frisk you based on the security device alarming, you have a lawsuit in the making. And you'll win it.

Most stores have very sophisticated monitoring systems and the pictures can be as good as a television screen. Theft accounts for sometimes 15% of the cost of merchandise, so we all pay for the thieves.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If the device is avtivated, it's probably only because the clerk forgot to remove it. And a clerk can be fired for this. It's polite to stop, if this happens, and let security remove it.
    100% correct. FMD they put those devices for a reason.

Personally I dont stop. Most people do and turn around and are all set to allow the store, which has no legal grounds, to search them. Seriously what is up with that?
    Your stopping because it's the correct thing to do. Too many people do shop lift otherwise they would not have to install those in the first place.

Its a constitutional right, as american citizen to be secure in your person from unlawful searches and siezures.
    What ever.

In this case you should just stop because the store is trying to cut down on the people that "DO" shoplift. Your not being accused, they are just checking becaues the BUZZER did go off after all. it would be different if they were just randomly check without hte buzzer going off but they are not.

Learn not to be a dick.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Walking into a store, doesnt magically make all your rights as an american citizen vanish into thin air. You didnt leave the country, and the company and its employees expect to be able to take advantage of their constitutional rights, so why cant you, as a patron, a customer of said store?
    The buzzer went off. simple as that. no one is taking your constitutional rights away.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Also, its not about being evasive or guilty of a crime. Its about standing up for the rights, our constitution gaurentees every citizen of our nation, and if you wont stand up for your rights, then no one will.
    The buzzer went off. No big deal. This is the bull**** stuff people bring up that is just a waste of time. You walked into the store seeing the device at the door and you gotta go out the same way.

You should be happy the business owner is doing what they can do to keep their prices low. Shop lifting hurts all consumers.

IF you are going to complain about something pick something valid.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    You're assuming it's unlawful. If you set off the alarm, it's within reason that they can re-check your bag for tags they forgot to remove. That is probably within the law.

In the case of an exit alarm, most stores have a 'no chase' policy. You're not required to stop or even pretend to hear if someone asks you to walk back in.

Or you could just use your freedom of choice and not shop at Wal-Mart...
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Keep walking. If they really care they can send someone into the parking lot after you. Your level of compliance at that point should depend on your mood.
    Most of all I like bulldozers and dirt

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    In this case you should just stop because the store is trying to cut down on the people that "DO" shoplift. Your not being accused, they are just checking becaues the BUZZER did go off after all. it would be different if they were just randomly check without hte buzzer going off but they are not.

Learn not to be a dick.
    its called invasion of privacy. Ever heard of it? Polite to stop? No. Just cause their buzzer went off doesnt mean squat. For all you know, their buzzer could be programmed to go off randomly. You dont know that.

Its not about being a dick Res, its about standing your ground. This is how it starts. First they get you used to having to 'politely stop' cause their stupid buzzer went off... then they move on to bigger and better things, like strip searching you at the air port.

something that would have been a massive outrage just 10 years ago.

Its an invasion of privacy. and they dont have that 'right' to search your stuff. Period.

But hey, if you want to waive your rights to big business that is 'just trying to cut down on theft' then go for it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    its called invasion of privacy. Ever heard of it? Polite to stop? No. Just cause their buzzer went off doesnt mean squat. For all you know, their buzzer could be programmed to go off randomly. You dont know that.
    it's called you set off the buzzer because for the most part it's set off if something wasn't cashed out. For all we know your just complaining because you don't wanna get caught shop lifting. It would be a waste of time for them if it was going off randomly. most people have morals and don't shop lift. Quite a few don't though and that is why they have buzzers.

I've never had an employee try and search ME, only look into the SHOPPING bags that I am carrying out so I would hardly put it on the slippery slope of governmental oppression (by a non governmental agency)

Of course this same store could also deny you entry to their establishment under threat of trespassing laws too.

I always joked that the way you could tell a person who was shoplifting is they were the ones who RUN when the alarm goes off. Honest people stop!

b.b.

Its an invasion of privacy. and they dont have that 'right' to search your stuff. Period.

But hey, if you want to waive your rights to big business that is 'just trying to cut down on theft' then go for it.
    If you're still in the store, or in their foyer then technically you're on private property and I'm fairly certain their ability to re-check your shopping bag after you set off an alarm would hold up in a court of law. If they were not able to do that legally, then what would be the point of those doorway detectors anyway?

Besides that, do you really think it's such a Win for your rights to go home with an ink tag still attached to your jeans that you can't even take off without destroying the clothes??

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob View Post
    I've never had an employee try and search ME, only look into the SHOPPING bags that I am carrying out so I would hardly put it on the slippery slope of governmental oppression (by a non governmental agency)

I always joked that the way you could tell a person who was shoplifting is they were the ones who RUN when the alarm goes off. Honest people stop!

b.b.
    Honest people also allow the police to enter their homes with out a search warrant too I geuss... or to search their vehicles. Cause they have 'nothing to hide'

the slippery slope of Govt intrusion on ones rights, goes hand in hand with big business.

And I am not saying 'run away' I am simply saying why stop?

If you bought everything in your bag, that stuff now belongs to you. It is now YOUR STUFF. Yet cause their buzzer went off they are demanding to look thruogh YOUR stuff.

they already know everything about me thruogh information sharing and data mining, atleast allow me the decency to not dig thruogh all my stuff as I walk out the door.

I personally, never stop I just keep right on walking. I dont see why I should. Who is to say I set it off? or that I stole something. they have security cameras... if I stole something they can call the police.

Its not about being a dick Res, its about standing your ground. This is how it starts. First they get you used to having to 'politely stop' cause their stupid buzzer went off... then they move on to bigger and better things, like strip searching you at the air port.

something that would have been a massive outrage just 10 years ago.

We all pay such a hefty price for shoplifters. They are truly the people you should be angry with.

Wow---I'm so amazed that someone sees those alarms
    the way you do, FMD.
    Some of those little snap on alarms are full of indelible ink, and if someone tries to remove them, they can spray all over everything. Some are just harmless alarms amd some will go off in other stores and draw attention to the customer who carries it.

The place of business has the right to attach these, FMD, but not to frisk you or infer you're a thief.

I'm guessing he DID set off an alarm yesterday or recently.

b.b.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information