Thread: City wants owners to secure site of deteriorating former church

City wants owners to secure site of deteriorating former church

The owners of Transfiguration Church, a vacant and deteriorating East Side landmark, are under pressure from city officials to better secure the sprawling property.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/93232.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unfortunately, this church will end up being torn down. I have gone to multiple calls on Mills Street which borders the Church property. It's unfortunate because this German jewel has been allowed to elements to long.
    As well, the adjacent buildings have been turned it to whatelse, "rehab" facilities.
    I say take whatever is worth while out of the church, and then demo it. The building is beyond repair.

It's a crying shame. This church was absolutely magnificent. But you can't deny the fact that any attempt to secure it or refurbish it would be futile.

Just about every property within miles of it, in any direction, is delapidated. Nothing will ever flourish again in that area unless the whole neighborhood is demolished, rebuilt and different types of residents move in.

Just calling it like it is folks.

Your Thoughts On St. Agnes Church Closing?

I fear the Lovejoy neighborhood has just received the final nail in it's coffin.

The closing of St. Agnes school and church can't possibly be a good thing. I'm thinking there's going to be another vacant East Side church just waiting for vandals to find a new haven for their "activities".

Many parishioners don't want to join the nearest Catholic church, St. Francis, so I can see them putting the "For Sale" signs up and getting out of Dodge. Head for the suburbs and join a church there.

Some may disagree with this prediction, but we've seen church closings in other areas and we've seen what an impact that has on a tight-knit community.

Only time will tell, but Lovejoy is already in the frying pan, once St. Agnes closes, the burner is getting turned on.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I figured it was somewhat relevant to the topic at hand.

Thread Information