Thread: Taxpayers Picked Up Tab For $500,000 Lawsuit

Unregistered

Taxpayers Picked Up Tab For $500,000 Lawsuit

Posted by: Stefan Mychajliw, Reporter

Created: 6/5/2007 10:46:02 PM
    Updated: 6/6/2007 11:40:40 AM

This investigation came from an email to our "You Paid For It" page on WGRZ.com.

Paul wrote: "If you really want to show a waste of taxpayer dollars you should report about the $500,000 settlement the State paid after Assembly Speaker (Sheldon) Silver's Chief Counsel was accused of drugging and raping two female assembly staffers."

But in a unique twist a fight is now on to get that money back.

Michael Boxley was arrested in June of 2003 and was indicted on two first degree and two-third degree rape counts.

An Assembly staffer accused Boxley of forcing her to have sex with him in 2001.

Another Assembly staffer came forward with a similar allegation two years later.

At the time Boxley was working as an aide to State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and eventually made a deal with prosecutors by pleading guilty to sexual misconduct, a lesser charge.

Boxley and Silver were hit with a civil suit by one of the victims.

She claimed the Assembly tolerated a "hostile work environment."

The case was settled for $500,000. Boxley had to pay $20,000. The rest, $480,000, was paid by the State of New York: taxpayers.

2 On Your Side's Stefan Mychajliw: "What do you think about the fact that taxpayers are stuck with this bill?"

New York State Assemblyman Mark Schroeder: "I know the people that I represent in my district will think it's ridiculous. And will be offended by it. It's wasting their taxpayer money."

Mychajliw: "Do you feel as though the person responsible should pay, and not taxpayers?"

Schroeder: "To answer that question in a simple way: yes. I really do feel that way."

A New York City taxpayer felt the same way and sued.

He wants a court to force both Silver and Boxley to pay the $480,000 out of their own pockets.

The suit claimed the State picking up the settlement tab was an illegal expenditure of state funds.

Mychajliw: "Is there anything that can be done now about this?"

Schroeder: "It will be interesting to see what happens on this particular case. Because I suspect what he's actually suggesting is that the State of New York paid money that they shouldn't have."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_articl...3&provider=top

Kind of funny that that every elected Democrat owes their job to Sheldon Silver and they would never do anything against him....pathetic really.

Schroeder tried to go against him and he got screwed...

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Kind of funny that that every elected Democrat owes their job to Sheldon Silver and they would never do anything against him....pathetic really.

Schroeder tried to go against him and he got screwed...
    So why don't we help Schroeder to get our money back?

This crap just has to stop for once and for all...

There are people out there that scrap by on far far less that we pay these people.

How did Schroeder get screwed on this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    So why don't we help Schroeder to get our money back?

This crap just has to stop for once and for all...

There are people out there that scrap by on far far less that we pay these people.

How did Schroeder get screwed on this topic?
    Schroeder couldn't get an office because he didn't vote for Silver as Speaker---but then later in his term in office he saddled up with Silver and voted the way Silver wanted for comptroller after Hevesi got booted---so Schroeder is really no better.

So do not be fooled, Schroeder has no backbone either.

Cool

Schroeder couldn't get an office because he didn't vote for Silver as Speaker---but then later in his term in office he saddled up with Silver and voted the way Silver wanted for comptroller after Hevesi got booted---so Schroeder is really no better.

So do not be fooled, Schroeder has no backbone either.
    Did you ever speak to Assemblyman Mark Schroeder about his Comptroller vote?

I'll bet you didn't, or haven't, or haven't tried.

I spoke to him about the vote.

Assemblyman schroeder supported Assemblyman Tom DiNapoli because he was qualified, had a budget background, and knew he was someone who he could talk to about the economic problems in his district.

DiNapoli called and wrote and emailed Schroeder with his plans for the Comptroller's office. He was never contacted by any of the candidates on the Govenor's "approved" list. Not even a post card.

Who would you vote for? Someone you had a background with, that you knew, or someone that somebody else told you that you should vote for?

Schroeder is my Assemblyman, and I congratulate him for his wise vote.

Maybe he and the Speaker agreed on the choice of Tom DiNapoli because it was the best choice!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Who would you vote for? Someone you had a background with, that you knew, or someone that somebody else told you that you should vote for?
    So that's how you look at it?

I would like to know why didn't he make a point to see who else was running for the position so he knew he was making a correct vote? If he only knew this very one person without knowing any other candidates for the job how is that a wise decision?

I would like to know why didn't he make a point to see who else was running for the position so he knew he was making a correct vote? If he only knew this very one person without knowing any other candidates for the job how is that a wise decision?
    That's easy, Shelly told him who he needed to vote for.

But that's not the point, the point is about the state paying the bills for the legal dealings because of the rapes that Boxley committed, that's the real problem.

As an aside---let us not forget the Economics 101 quiz that the so called "best candidate" failed miserably.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    That's easy, Shelly told him who he needed to vote for.

But that's not the point, the point is about the state paying the bills for the legal dealings because of the rapes that Boxley committed, that's the real problem.
    I agree with you 100%

So who should be liable for this? Boxley or Shelly

I agree with you 100%

So who should be liable for this? Boxley or Shelly
    Both.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So this wasn't something where the state was liable. This was actions held against these two people?

Why won't the attorney general step in??

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    Did you ever speak to Assemblyman Mark Schroeder about his Comptroller vote?

I'll bet you didn't, or haven't, or haven't tried.

I spoke to him about the vote.

Assemblyman schroeder supported Assemblyman Tom DiNapoli because he was qualified, had a budget background, and knew he was someone who he could talk to about the economic problems in his district.

DiNapoli called and wrote and emailed Schroeder with his plans for the Comptroller's office. He was never contacted by any of the candidates on the Govenor's "approved" list. Not even a post card.

Schroeder is my Assemblyman, and I congratulate him for his wise vote.

Maybe he and the Speaker agreed on the choice of Tom DiNapoli because it was the best choice!

What a crock. Tom Dinapoli couldnt find a balance sheet with a map.

Cool

OK, it is clear that I wasn't clear enough.

What I was trying to say is that I believe Mark Schroeder gathered info on all the Candidates for Comptroller, including the "annointed three" that were "approved" by the Committee appointed by the Governor.

My point was that only DiNapoli made a point of contacting the people that were going to make the decision, (the individual Assembly members and Senators), and presented his position to them.. Their only information on the others was indirect. I'm sure Mark Schroeder studied the qualifications of the others also.

Then he (and quite a few Republicans) voted for Tom DiNapoli. I don't think any of them did so because they were told to by Sheldon Silver!

But, I agree, the point of this thread was about Michael Boxley, and not Mark Schroeder or Tom DiNapoli. Enough said about the two latter.
    Last edited by BigGuy; June 8th, 2007 at 09:47 PM.

So the question remains of who will pay for this?

I am so happy that I voluntarily paid for this. Oh wait no the tax money was taken from me at the point of a gun.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Thread Information