Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A penny here but not there is nonsense

I guess I killed another thread.

Seriously, don't you feel guilty dumping your kids at a squirrely, government-union run prison?

Is your local high school called "Heroin High" too?

Stop being a cheapskate. Stop rationalizing. Pull your kids out!

Does your kids' day-prison have a cop?

Yuk!

My kids didn't go to a "day-prison" - perhaps your experience in school is the reason for your depression and anger. Perhaps you should seek treatment for whatever demons cause you to bemoan what the rest of us are enjoying.

The hardest working of my children went on to graduate from Johns Hopkins with honors in physics and applied math. After spending two years in the Teach for America program in Chalmette, LA, she enter Penn Law. I'm sure when she graduates she'll end up one of the political, social, and economic power brokers sad sacks like you rile against.

It isn't the schools Jim, it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    My kids didn't go to a "day-prison" - perhaps your experience in school is the reason for your depression and anger. Perhaps you should seek treatment for whatever demons cause you to bemoan what the rest of us are enjoying.

The hardest working of my children went on to graduate from Johns Hopkins with honors in physics and applied math. After spending two years in the Teach for America program in Chalmette, LA, she enter Penn Law. I'm sure when she graduates she'll end up one of the political, social, and economic power brokers sad sacks like you rile against.

My kids are out of school now but I can tell you the inner City school were terrible... BUT the suburban schools did have a security cop on board and they did when I was in school back in the 80's so why does that make it a bad thing? Not everyone can afford a private school. Im glad there is a police like presence in some schools inner city or not to possibly discourage kids fighting and doing other things that arent favorable in a school like setting. Look at all the hype about bullying these days?? Call it a prison atmosphere if you will, but this is the reality of many schools..

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    My kids are out of school now but I can tell you the inner City school were terrible... BUT the suburban schools did have a security cop on board and they did when I was in school back in the 80's so why does that make it a bad thing? Not everyone can afford a private school. Im glad there is a police like presence in some schools inner city or not to possibly discourage kids fighting and doing other things that arent favorable in a school like setting. Look at all the hype about bullying these days?? Call it a prison atmosphere if you will, but this is the reality of many schools..
    I've never considered the presence of security to be a determining factor as to whether an institution is a prison.

Security is provided for everything from Walmart to Harvard Medical School. Does that make them prisons? Apparently JO thinks so.

Stop shopping at prisons! Stop educating doctors in prisons!

The Thruway and the airports have security - stop traveling via prisons! Free yourselves now! Buy my book to learn how...

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

wow. that was cruel. i'll complain to rez, but i think it's hard for him to keep up. words hurt....ask any kid who has been the victim of a bully. words hurt.

my kids went to williamsville schools. their elementary school's motto was "character counts." i thought that was useless baloney -- until they entered the real world. they are in highly competitve creative fields, but they are doing well and are pretty good people. amazing....and they don't launch cruel personal attacks. on line or off.

actually, none of them spend much time on line...

p.s.

now that i'm retired, i can use my real name.it's niki cervantes, if anyone is interested (okay -- probably not). i worked as a reporter for the buffalo news for a long time but felt uncomfortwith using my name because i was so close to what ended up in the paper.

anyway......
    Last edited by atotaltotalfan2001; October 9th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    wow. that was cruel. i'll complain to rez, but i think it's hard for him to keep up. words hurt....ask any kid who has been the victim of a bully. words hurt.
    JO is a man not a child. I'm sure he has had much worse thrown at him and didn't even blink.

[QUOTE=nogods;682959]JO is a man not a child. I'm sure he has had much worse thrown at him and didn't even blink.[/QUO

rationalizations rock.

The children that successfully make it in our overpriced educational system, go to be productive members of other societies.

I wonder where Nogods kid is going to get a job after going to Penn??!!

I could write a book about some of the silly comments here.

For instance, the obsession with personal attacks and psychologizing is a symptom of the pragmatism that has infected American thought for 100 years.

The notion that I made assertions about the world that should be debated is ignored. No, since there is no objective truth (pragmatism), my psyche has to be ripped apart to explain my views.

That said, this person who is desperate to prove how smart they are makes silly arguments.

Using their children to prove the value of government schools is unscientific. It's anecdotal evidence. Further, since no one knows who this person is or who their children are, it's totally unverifiable.

Also, the real test would be how would this person's children would have developed in a free society as opposed to the statist one we live in. That point is not addressed of course.

BTW, I'm not depressed and I didn't attend a K-12 government school.

Anger? A natural human emotion when confronted by that which is inimical to life as it should be lived. No apologies there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    60% of the property tax is for schools. If you want lower taxes, stop using the lousy "services" the politicians offer. Pull your kids out.

Direct action is our best chance.
    wouldn't pulling the kids out simply result in the parents paying school taxes and then private tuition on top of that?

I can't see the gov't actually getting wise and closing public schools all together. In fact they'd probably find a way to spin people leaving into justification for more taxes to "make the schools better" to get people to come back to them
    Last edited by sharky; October 11th, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

I hear Clarence High School employs off duty cops for security and hall monitors. And the school itself is generally on 'lock down' most of the day.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

"wouldn't pulling the kids out simply result in the parents paying school taxes and then private tuition on top of that?"

If a lot of people do it, it can work. In the meantime, buy a home in the City to escape the school tax.

The main reason to pull your kids out is that Government Schools Are Bad for Your Kids. See my 2009 book.

Amherst, clarence and Williamsvile. If you have the cash, you can get ANY drug you want.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information