Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: A penny here but not there is nonsense

  1. #1
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    64,346

    A penny here but not there is nonsense

    A penny here but not there is nonsense

    Here’s the absurd state of taxation our broke state has us in these days:
    • Buy a sliced bagel, pay a tax. Buy a whole, untoasted bagel, it’s tax-free.
    • Buy a Twix bar in the candy aisle, pay a tax. Buy a package of Twix from the cookie aisle, your goodies are tax-free.
    • Buy a potted aloe vera plant, pay a tax. Buy an aloe vera leaf, it’s tax-free.
    Our tax-obsessed state has taken tax collection to a new level.
    The state — not willing to give up any extra penny — periodically sends out dispatches from Albany parsing the various ways the state’s sales tax should be applied.
    Some are just plain laughable, if it weren’t our hard-earned dollars they’re talking about.
    Tang, that orange drink developed for astronauts and sent to the moon, remains free of sales tax along with V-8 and natural fruit juices. But Kool-Aid and Hi-C rack up sales tax.


    Read the Full Story in the Buffalo news

  2. #2
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    64,346
    Do you know the extra burden "NYS government services" places on businesses? Just the money wasted on implementing their rules is money that makes the non-government laborer/non-government business owner less competitive against other states and countries.

    When did it truly get out of hand?

  3. #3
    Member FMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,737
    non-government laborer/non-government business owner
    do you have this phrase permenantly on your clipboard?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

  4. #4
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    64,346
    Nope. People need to realize who generates real money. All government does is churn the money we earn. If it wasn't for the non-government laborers/non-government business owners there would be no services for the government to provide.

  5. #5
    Member Bioguy231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Nope. People need to realize who generates real money. All government does is churn the money we earn. If it wasn't for the non-government laborers/non-government business owners there would be no services for the government to provide.
    Churn? Don't you mean Burn?????
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    A penny here but not there is nonsense



    Read the Full Story in the Buffalo news
    I'm paying school district taxes on my Verizon Cell Phone now...As well as State sales tax, and County sales tax.....Plus alll the other charges.

  7. #7
    Member nogods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    This such a trite story.

    The reality is that if you are going to have a sales tax and are going to have non-taxable items then you have to draw lines, some of which may appear ludicrous but are actually well reasoned.

    Klein's been passing this story off as humor for 20 years. He needs a new schitck.

  8. #8
    Member FMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsofatkat View Post
    I'm paying school district taxes on my Verizon Cell Phone now...As well as State sales tax, and County sales tax.....Plus alll the other charges.
    how are u paying school taxes on your cell phone bill?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Buffalo
    Posts
    5,041
    60% of the property tax is for schools. If you want lower taxes, stop using the lousy "services" the politicians offer. Pull your kids out.

    Direct action is our best chance.

  10. #10
    Member nogods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    60% of the property tax is for schools. If you want lower taxes, stop using the lousy "services" the politicians offer. Pull your kids out.

    Direct action is our best chance.
    All four of my children got a fantastic education in the Amherst Central School district. We, the people of the Amherst Central School district, funded and operated one hell of a great school system.

    Too bad wherever it is you live people are so impotent.

    What we should do is privatize the GI bridges and the 190. I don't use them and I don't see why i should have to pay for them. instead of taking down toll booths we should be putting more up to make the people who use them pay for them.

  11. #11
    Member Linda_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    God's Own Country ... the Southern Tier
    Posts
    8,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    60% of the property tax is for schools. If you want lower taxes, stop using the lousy "services" the politicians offer. Pull your kids out.

    Direct action is our best chance.
    Best chance at what??? Turning the US into a Third World country?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Buffalo
    Posts
    5,041
    It doesn't matter where I live. The thought of dumping my kids into some government-run daytime prison, political propaganda center staffed by left-wing Democrats, C-students in college, who can't be fired unless they commit a serious felony is loathsome to me, truly unimaginable.

    But I guess, if your parents dumped you there, you feel you can pass the hurt on, eh?

  13. #13
    Member Rhiannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    kenton
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    All four of my children got a fantastic education in the Amherst Central School district. We, the people of the Amherst Central School district, funded and operated one hell of a great school system.

    Too bad wherever it is you live people are so impotent.

    What we should do is privatize the GI bridges and the 190. I don't use them and I don't see why i should have to pay for them. instead of taking down toll booths we should be putting more up to make the people who use them pay for them.
    Instead the people who live there and work there get a discounted toll rate... they only make the "Non Islanders" pay the full amount.. and the truck traffic... I always said it was a gated community..

  14. #14
    Member nogods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    It doesn't matter where I live. The thought of dumping my kids into some government-run daytime prison, political propaganda center staffed by left-wing Democrats, C-students in college, who can't be fired unless they commit a serious felony is loathsome to me, truly unimaginable.

    But I guess, if your parents dumped you there, you feel you can pass the hurt on, eh?
    Wow, you must have a sad experience in school. Your parents should have moved to a better school district. Do you still hate them for it?

  15. #15
    Member Rhiannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    kenton
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ostrowski View Post
    It doesn't matter where I live. The thought of dumping my kids into some government-run daytime prison, political propaganda center staffed by left-wing Democrats, C-students in college, who can't be fired unless they commit a serious felony is loathsome to me, truly unimaginable.

    But I guess, if your parents dumped you there, you feel you can pass the hurt on, eh?
    Well LA DI DA..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why did americans believe this nonsense
    By Bringthetruth in forum USA Politics and Our Economy - President Joe Biden
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: February 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
  2. School Bus Stops nonsense
    By Save Us in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 29th, 2008, 09:29 AM
  3. The Penny
    By ReformWNY in forum Erie County Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
  4. Give me the penny........
    By mynikeballs in forum Morning Breakfast - Breaking News
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: October 28th, 2003, 12:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •