Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help ->lawnmower

Need help ->lawnmower

I have a lawnmower that shuts off like 30 seconds after it starts, its a push lawnmower. Where can I get it fixed?
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Unregistered
    Sounds like either a bad sparkplug, dirty carburetor/fuel lines or old gas. If fresh gas and a new sparkplug don't cure the problem, remove the air cleaner to expose the carburetor, start the lawnmower and spray Gum-out in it until the lawnmower starts to bog-down. Let the engine come back up to idle speed and repeat the process a few times. If this works, add one capful of liquid
    carburetor cleaner to a full tank of gas. This will help to clean the fuel lines.

If all else fails take it to a repair shop, but don't expect to get it back for at least a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by steven
    I have a lawnmower that shuts off like 30 seconds after it starts, its a push lawnmower. Where can I get it fixed?
    Steven, but I hear you are so good at organizing Xmas parties. How could you not know how to repair a lawn mower or not know how to go about getting it fixed??? .

Surfer, it is not a spark plug issue. It sounds like it is starving for fuel which would lead to a carburation problem. Then again telephone pages do the talking while your fingers do the walkin...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer
    Steven, but I hear you are so good at organizing Xmas parties. How could you not know how to repair a lawn mower or not know how to go about getting it fixed??? .

Surfer, it is not a spark plug issue. It sounds like it is starving for fuel which would lead to a carburation problem. Then again telephone pages do the talking while your fingers do the walkin...

I agree it sounds fuel related, but I, as well as my father, have had the same symptoms with small engines in the past and a sparkplug resolved the issue for both.

It certainly doesn't hurt to try.

I remember about thirty-years-ago when my brother tore his engine apart, insisting the problem was fuel related. After dumping a small fortune in parts and many hours of labor into it, my father finally convinced him to take it to a real mechanic. He dropped it off at a garage about one half mile from home. Upon his return home, the phone rang. It was the mechanic calling to inform him that the problem had already been resolved. It turned out to be a corroded battery cable. Needless to say, my brother won the bonehead of the year award that year.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    How many people here acutally do yearly maintance...

like changing the oil at least once a season? greasing/oiling where needed.... sharpening/changing the blades?

I can't wait until I fire up the chain saw varoooommmm ....

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

like changing the oil at least once a season? greasing/oiling where needed.... sharpening/changing the blades?

Me.... How many people here who bought generators in October who starts it up at least once every three months and run them under load for 20 minutes......

Clean the old gas out of the tank and the fuel lines. There's a deblocker on the market and it takes many tries to clean the lines out. Actually you have to have one person start the mower while another sprays the intake or carburator or whatever and then the engine has to run for awhile to get it up to snuff. Just went through this with a neighbor and he also bought a new spark plug to boot, but it worked. Sounds like the same scenario. Clean the gas tank out before you store it.

Walczaks hardware on William St in Cheektowaga. They fix anything.
    "I know the man. he is not using a theasuarus."

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Did you do your end of the year maintance on the mower in the fall? Did you leave gas in the mower over the season?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by speaker
    Clean the old gas out of the tank and the fuel lines. There's a deblocker on the market and it takes many tries to clean the lines out. Actually you have to have one person start the mower while another sprays the intake or carburator or whatever and then the engine has to run for awhile to get it up to snuff. Just went through this with a neighbor and he also bought a new spark plug to boot, but it worked. Sounds like the same scenario. Clean the gas tank out before you store it.
    This advice sounds familiar. I've done it enough times where I'm able to do it without assistance. No need to waste money on a special "deblocker" though. Any carburetor cleaner will do the trick.

I guess that answers your question regarding yearly maintenance WNYresident. I, for one, am guilty of small engine abuse.

Hector's Hardware and Sears.
    I have an electric lawn mower. Plug it in, starts every single time!
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Year end maintenance

According to my husband, who has various equipment here...boat motors, atv and lawn motors the prime machines.....you can choose to empty the gas and oil or leave it in. He feels if you leave it in you start the next season use with contaminated fuels. Gas breaks down and becomes less effective over time. Then there is the change in temperatures which allows water to accumulate in it. He spends alot of time in the garage doing "stuff" to the lawnmower but it's worth it....starts every time. He starts every season with new oil and gasoline.
    On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.
    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

I must admit that I do.

Lawn mowers - Clarence Hectors. The service guy really knows what he is doing and tries to save money for the customer.

Chain sawws - Main street in the Village of WIlliamsville - Main & Mill, can not think of the name at the moment. DO excelent job and reasonable rates.

Micheal

Unregistered
    Did you do your end of the year maintance on the mower in the fall? Did you leave gas in the mower over the season?
    Steven can't answer that question cause it was my mower. It's been sitting idle in my garage for the last 4 years. IIRC we last used it in the summer of 2003, prior to moving to our new home, and it ran out of gas at that time.

Im getting some stuff to spray in it later. Will keep u guys updated on my very lame attempts at being a handy man
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information