Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bishop's Mansion is a misfit in poor diocese

Unregistered

Bishop's Mansion is a misfit in poor diocese

Below is Donn Esmonde's commentary on the Catholic Bishop living in a pretentious mansion on Oakland, once assessed by the city at $1.1 million, as the Diocese is closing schools & churches area-wide.

What Esmonde does not say is that the Diocese does not pay taxes on 79 Oakland, where a bonafied rich owner would pay about $21,750 annual city-county taxes.

And the bishop could simply move to another largely-empty rectory already tax-exempt.

COPY:
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/84990.html

COMMENTARY
    Esmonde: Mansion is a misfit in poor diocese

Donn Esmonde, Updated: 05/27/07 9:01 AM

The grand home’s entry vestibule [has] walls of stone and a diamond-patterned coffered ceiling . . . The library extends the entire depth of the house . . . Large casement windows at either end have transoms with antique stained glass roundels . . . The dining room is classically detailed [and] features an elaborate black and white marble fireplace . . . A beautiful plaster ceiling includes a border of painted fruit.

The above paragraph is not a description of the Trump mansion. It is not the place where Paris Hilton lives or where Brad and Angelina kick back.

No, it is the home of the Catholic bishop in a job-starved region. The Buffalo Diocese has been merging or closing schools and parishes to accommodate a shrinking flock and to stem a river of debt. The ironic backdrop for the sacrifices asked of parishioners is the mansion in which their spiritual leader lives.

The home at 79 Oakland Place has nine bedrooms, six bathrooms and plenty of space for Bishop Edward Kmiec, his secretary and the diocesan chancellor. The descriptive paragraph above comes from the 2006 book, “Gracious Living in Buffalo; Oakland Place,” by Martin Wachadlo. As the school and parish closings mount, the question from parishioners grows louder: Why does the bishop live in a million-dollar mansion?

Jesus Christ taught that true riches are found in our souls and spirits. The ostentatious abode of the bishop of Buffalo — and, in fairness, of many others around the country — seems to contradict Christ’s basic teachings.

Kevin A. Keenan, the diocesan spokesman, says that the mansion is used extensively for pastoral meetings, as well as social functions.

“We see great value in maintaining this residence as a base of operations . . . There’s no other place like this where [the bishop] can conduct the kind of business that’s conducted there,” Keenan said. But there is another view.

“Christ said, ‘I have no place even to lay my head,’ ” said the Rev. Roy Herberger of St. Columba & St. Brigid Parish, at the tattered edge of downtown. “He sacrificed his life to do for others.”

Herberger’s comfortable body — he is a chocoholic — and kind eyes hide a fierce conscience. His calling is in saving the neediest souls — from running city parishes to a prison ministry to work with the late Sister Karen Klimczak.

Herberger raised the issue of the bishop’s mansion 20 years ago. He has not budged since. He has no illusions. If the bishop’s residence sold for $1 million, it would not solve the diocese’s financial ills. But it helps a little and would send a big message.

Whether in business, politics or religion, leadership sets the tone. If the flock has to sacrifice, the shepherd should lead.

“For the bishop to sell the residence sends the message that we’re all in this together,” Herberger said. “It would be great, as a symbolic gesture, to show that, ‘I, the bishop, am also willing to make myself more uncomfortable.’ ”

My point is not to embarrass Kmiec. Just the opposite. He is navigating a tough downsizing as peacefully as possible. Of all the diocese’s bishops in recent years, he seems most like a “regular guy,” able to personally relate to folks.

Under Kmiec, the diocese restored St. Stanislaus in a tattered East Side neighborhood. Herberger’s inner-city church was rebuilt after fire destroyed it several years ago. Unlike his predecessors, Kmiec told The News he “would not rule out” the possibility of selling the mansion and moving to more modest digs.

“I think the world of Bishop Kmiec,” said Herberger. “He is the best gift the diocese could have in a troubled time.”

The current mantra among Catholics, when faced with a difficult decision, is to ask: What would Jesus do?

When it comes to 79 Oakland Place, I think I know.

desmonde@buffnews.com

I would bet that both you and Donn are not Catholic. I am. Church and school closings are natural and needed. There were enough churches to serve the Catholic % of 600k, now there are less then 300k. Logic would that when this happens, YOU CLOSE THINGS. Sure it is hard and some are upset but it is needed.
    The home on Oakland is a SYMBOL just as much as it is a home. Unless you and Donn are kicking money in the basket every Sunday, you need to STFU. This is just my humble opinion.

FYI, every religion get the tax breaks the Catholics do!

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    I would bet that both you and Donn are not Catholic. I am. Church and school closings are natural and needed. There were enough churches to serve the Catholic % of 600k, now there are less then 300k. Logic would that when this happens, YOU CLOSE THINGS. Sure it is hard and some are upset but it is needed.
    The church has not learned (Buffalo Diocese) yet in the art of saving money and using it wisely.

The home on Oakland is a SYMBOL just as much as it is a home. Unless you and Donn are kicking money in the basket every Sunday, you need to 1 STFU. This is just my humble opinion.
    As one who grew up a RC, but is of no organized religion, still a Christian. I work with the Diocese as a volunteer.

The Diocese should sell the mansion, as other Diocese have done (ie. Rochester), Move out of the builkding at 795 Masin Street and into space at one of the parishes - either rent or sell the building at 795 Main.

Yes, they do do that.

By the way, the Dioces could consol;idate the many offices that they have into using building on Parish lots that are not being used and are boarded up, thus freeing other building that they lease or own to be used commercdially.

This does not include getting the Priests out of these offices along with the nuns and putting them at the parishes to serve the parishwenors and the local communities. If staff is needed at other occifes get volunteers or hire lay staff.

Micheal

The home on Oakland is a SYMBOL just as much as it is a home. Unless you and Donn are kicking money in the basket every Sunday, you need to STFU. This is just my humble opinion.

"YOU CLOSE THINGS" THATS RIGHT!! You consolidate, cut back, economize.
    SACRIFICES are and should be made at the TOP, to set example for the followers to understand and accept. Just how long do you expect parishoners , who are facing higher taxes, gas prices , food prices, should I go on ??, dole out weekly donations, as they find it harder to make ends meet themselves, tolerate the Bishop to living in the lifestyle of the 'rich & famous" mansion??? The Bishop , if he expects to be a good leader, can set the tone for his followers and show all the all are treated the same .... from the schoolchildren who's school is closing, to the closed church where families of generations have worshipped, to the clergy who must face their followers without the GUILT OF HYPOCRISY

Ok Im gonna catch some flack for this but I saw the article and it just didnt add up.

If the home is used as a meeting center, conference center as well as home to visiting dignitarys then it would seem to me it would be cheeper to keep the mansion.

Note: I am not a catholic.

Also please note:Please do not post articles in there entirety on the message board.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the Catholic Church spends its money on. It relies on voluntary donations, not tax dollars. Let them spend away . . .
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by DelawareDistrict
    Personally, I couldn't care less what the Catholic Church spends its money on. It relies on voluntary donations, not tax dollars. Let them spend away . . .
    That to
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Then why bother to respond???

Micheal

Quote Originally Posted by joe d.
    "YOU CLOSE THINGS" THATS RIGHT!! You consolidate, cut back, economize.
    SACRIFICES are and should be made at the TOP, to set example for the followers to understand and accept. Just how long do you expect parishoners , who are facing higher taxes, gas prices , food prices, should I go on ??, dole out weekly donations, as they find it harder to make ends meet themselves, tolerate the Bishop to living in the lifestyle of the 'rich & famous" mansion??? The Bishop , if he expects to be a good leader, can set the tone for his followers and show all the all are treated the same .... from the schoolchildren who's school is closing, to the closed church where families of generations have worshipped, to the clergy who must face their followers without the GUILT OF HYPOCRISY

You make some good points. What happens in the Catholic church in Buffalo is the business of Catholics who go to church in Buffalo. Not Donn Esmond, Not Ken in MN, not the readers of the Buffalo news.

When the Jews, Baptists, Protestants, Lutherans and Christians do as much as Catholic charities does for WNY, THEN THEY CAN TALK ABOUT THE MANISION.

That home is a SYMBOL for CATHOLICS. If this commentary was coming from the parishes then we would have something. BUT IT IS NOT.

Like I said before, unless you are Catholic, going to church in Buffalo and active in the church, you need to STFU. If you are a Catholic, active in the church and have an issue with this, then a MB is not the place. Take it up at your parish.

You make some good points. What happens in the Catholic church in Buffalo is the business of Catholics who go to church in Buffalo. Not Donn Esmond, Not Ken in MN, not the readers of the Buffalo news.

Being a past RC and a volunteer to an organization at the Diocese Office, and working with parishes as a volunteer, I'm going to put my 2 cents in again.

The Buffalo Diocese Mansion is a past experience. Other Diocese including the Rochester one, has given up there mansions and have put the proceeds to better use for the3 Diocese they are in. Buffalo is still a backwards run Dioces compared to others in NY State and the rest of the Nation. They need to come into the 21st century, and their thinking also needs to come into todays weorld.

In other words Kevin Keenans' explanation is BS.

When the Jews, Baptists, Protestants, Lutherans and Christians do as much as Catholic charities does for WNY, THEN THEY CAN TALK ABOUT THE MANISION.

Two different things. Buy the way, did you know that some of the Catholic Charity money raised pays for the main office departments?

That home is a SYMBOL for CATHOLICS. If this commentary was coming from the parishes then we would have something. BUT IT IS NOT.

What symbol? Ask any RC what the mansion stands for and they will not be able to tell you. They will not even know that the Dioces has a house and staff (over 1.1 million valued) that is used by the Bishop.

Like I said before, unless you are Catholic, going to church in Buffalo and active in the church, you need to STFU. If you are a Catholic, active in the church and have an issue with this, then a MB is not the place. Take it up at your parish.
    The Dioces is more than the City of Buffalo. It covers the 7 or 8 COunties that make up Western NY and all parishioners have a right to know where their donations are going to. Matter of fact when I do attend a service at a RC church, I giuve a donation. All parishes are assesed a yearly fee that they pay to the DIocese.

Micheal

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Joseph
    Then why bother to respond???

Micheal
    Because I felt, after reading the story in the News, that there are much more important things to write about concerning money that is forcefully taken from us everyday, rather than how a private organization spends its contributions. At leasts Catholics can quit the Church if they don't like the policies. Try that approach at tax time . . .
    The path is clear
    Though no eyes can see
    The course laid down long before.
    And so with gods and men
    The sheep remain inside their pen,
    Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Because I felt, after reading the story in the News, that there are much more important things to write about concerning money that is forcefully taken from us everyday, rather than how a private organization spends its contributions. At leasts Catholics can quit the Church if they don't like the policies. Try that approach at tax time . . .
    If the News was interesdted in really reporting the news, then the paper woul;d be a lot thicker and with a lot more stories in it.

Yet it gets thinner everyday..
    Bring back the Courier Express, Please????

Micheal

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Joseph
    Being a past RC and a volunteer to an organization at the Diocese Office, and working with parishes as a volunteer, I'm going to put my 2 cents in again.

The Buffalo Diocese Mansion is a past experience. Other Diocese including the Rochester one, has given up there mansions and have put the proceeds to better use for the3 Diocese they are in. Buffalo is still a backwards run Dioces compared to others in NY State and the rest of the Nation. They need to come into the 21st century, and their thinking also needs to come into todays weorld.

In other words Kevin Keenans' explanation is BS.

If you are no longer a member of the Catholic church, your comments are just as relevant as mine on a mosque in Iran. Not at all.

Two different things. Buy the way, did you know that some of the Catholic Charity money raised pays for the main office departments?

The money for Catholic CHARITIES is for the most part raised by Catholics. The point being that in such a "poor" city, the Catholics GIVE the most back. This is not that big of a deal as a lot of religious groups GIVE BACK NOTHING. Therefor, until all groups give back to the amount the Catholics do, then members of those groups need to look at themselves first.

What symbol? Ask any RC what the mansion stands for and they will not be able to tell you. They will not even know that the Dioces has a house and staff (over 1.1 million valued) that is used by the Bishop.

LOL. A former Catholic you are telling a Current Catholic why he sees as symbols. Buddy you need to stop reaching.

Like I said before, unless you are Catholic, going to church in Buffalo and active in the church, you need to STFU. If you are a Catholic, active in the church and have an issue with this, then a MB is not the place. Take it up at your parish.The Dioces is more than the City of Buffalo. It covers the 7 or 8 COunties that make up Western NY and all parishioners have a right to know where their donations are going to. Matter of fact when I do attend a service at a RC church, I giuve a donation. All parishes are assesed a yearly fee that they pay to the DIocese.

Micheal
    First and foremost before you critique the diocese you need to learn how to spell it correctly. You are a diet Catholic, you do not make the church and your $10 on Christmas eve or Easter Sunday does not make the church.

If you should have any say in the matter, which you do not, you would know that a MB is not the place. This is just another example of people in Buffalo focusing on things that do not matter instead of focusing what they should.

The Church is a PRIVATE organization that can do what it chooses with it's donations and revenue. It gets the same tax exempt status that EVERY other church does.

At least the Catholic church has something to show for it. Just where does all of the money go in WNY that is donated in the other churches?

First and foremost before you critique the diocese you need to learn how to spell it correctly. You are a diet Catholic, you do not make the church and your $10 on Christmas eve or Easter Sunday does not make the church.
    Your right, I should have used a spell checker, but it seems such a small picky thing to complain about instead of addressing the other points I have made in previous posts.

Actually I am not a diet Catholic. I grew up as a RC, did the whole thing and was even an Altar Boy. I happen to know quite a bit as I spend a lot of time at the Diocese office (795 Main Street), and when I travel I stop in at other Diocese offices to see how they do their volunteer work and compare it to Buffalo's (the organizations that I am involved in).

If you should have any say in the matter, which you do not, you would know that a MB is not the place. This is just another example of people in Buffalo focusing on things that do not matter instead of focusing what they should.
    Then why are you responding to my posts. This message forum was in regards to the Diocese Mansion and the value of it. Therefore it is relevant to those who wish to discuss it.

But I do have a say in what the Church does, as I do donate money to it, along with considerable time and out of pocket expenses. And by the way, the parishioners should also demand to know where their money goes, and how it is spent, but most do not. The Buffalo Diocese

The Church is a PRIVATE organization that can do what it chooses with it's donations and revenue. It gets the same tax exempt status that EVERY other church does.
    Wrong. It has an obligation to the parishioners and those who donate their money to it. The church is not above the law, and they have certain legal responsibilities as a non-profit. The detonators can and should ask if their donations are being spent wisely. Unfortunately they do not do this.

At least the Catholic church has something to show for it. Just where does all of the money go in WNY that is donated in the other churches?
    Good question. I ask before I donate to a private concern, and I want to see a return for my donation, instead of just throwing money out there.

By the way, when the church collects every year for the Priests and Nuns retirement, do you know that most of the money goes to other Diocese, instead of staying at the Buffalo Diocese? This past year, Diocese collected over 750,000 and approx. 350,000 stayed in the area to help support the retired nuns and priests, while the rest was shipped out of town.

If you need more info on it, contact Keven Keenan. His office is in the communications dept., located on the 1st floor at 795 Main Street, Buffalo NY

Or look on the Diocese web site to get his e-mail and/or phone number.

Micheal

Unregistered

I understand what everyone is saying (both sides) but the crux of the issue is

I understand what everyone is saying (both sides) but the crux of the issue is:

That these catholic churches, many of which include rectories and schools and residences.....in very poor and unstable neighborhoods these are incredible anchors of stability and hope...as well as architecturally and historically significant...many crafted of skilled immigrant masons and carpenters...many with imported stained glass from the best Europe had to offer

and these social anchors of stability and hope....which represent so much value to catholics and non-catholics are not just being closed but being closed, stripped, flipped and left to rot

and when people see that the catholic church is playing a role in the abandonment of the poor with its own buildings....there is valid concern from catholics and non-catholics alike, after all, what is wrong is wrong.

Yes the catholic church does much good....and deserves respect....but when it abrogates its responsibilities as in these church closings...everyone pays a price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information