Thread: Congrats chief gill

Congrats chief gill

Congradulations on the promotion.... Good Luck to you and the LPD.

I read that the current chief is retiring effective October 30. Is this retirement due to the Pension Padding scandal?

Also an unrelated question, what or who are the non-union white collar employees? There is an upcoming resolution to extend the white collar union benefits to the non-union white collar employees. Just wondering who that covers.

Georgia L Schlager

Lightbulb retirements not due to scandal?????

The employees retiring lately and in the near future aren't actually leaving "Due to" the pension padding scandal.

Yet they will enjoy the fruits of such actions! They feel its best to take their money now. Two things they know will change:

1) Over-time will be redefined as how its used in future retirement programs.
    2) Its doubtful those people padding now will be able to continue such behavior unnoticed.

Nothing will be done to correct this at a local level(because some elected officials share this perk). It will take the next Governor to help the States Attorney Generals Office to correct the loop wholes.

The vast majority of new hires will take the hit for the entitled ones who skip out now - leaving the new guys holding the bag (tax debt).

These guys and gals have been brain washed for years to believe - play the game - slide it up the seniority ladder - some day it will be your turn.

Well it ain't gonna be there when its "Your Turn" - taxpayers just cant sustain the increases any more.

NYS has lost to many private sector jobs, while the Controlling Political Party's keep inventing more patronage jobs.

You/We can't afford both!

Civil Servants - Patronage Party Players
    You choose!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Detective – Lieutenant Gerald J. Gill was appointed the new Police Chief by the Lancaster Town Board last night, effective October 30, 2010.

Supervisor Giza complimented Gill for being number #1 on the Civil Service list and made mention of his law degree. “We believe he will be a big asset to the police department. He has 26 years on the force. He was PBA president at one time, on the other side of the fence, and now he will be on the other side (of the fence) as an administrator. I hope the department will support you, as well as the board.”

When asked if he wanted to say anything, Gill replied that he wanted to thank the board for placing their confidence in him, that he looks forward with working with the board, and is happy to accept the position.

Council Member Mark Aquino spoke out declaring that the board interviewed three great candidates. “We asked the same questions of all three candidates and everyone was given a fair shake. I know Jerry for a number of years. He is an excellent individual with a lot of integrity. I believe he will bring a lot of new ideas to the department. While we had three great candidates I believe we got the best one and that will be proven in the long term.

Supervisor Giza spoke well of retiring Police Chief Gary Stoldt. After Giza declared that Gary and he had been friends for years, he commended him for the time and effort he put in making the Town of Lancaster and Village of Lancaster police department mergers a success in 2003.

“He took the department through a very tough time," declared Giza. "It was one of the largest mergers in New York State at the time, and maybe still is. He brought together two departments where there were a lot of emotions and stuff. He made the merger go smoothly and he left the department in great shape. I want to thank him, but he is not here this evening, but I hope he gets the message.”

Wink Sounds like a good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Detective – Lieutenant Gerald J. Gill was appointed the new Police Chief by the Lancaster Town Board last night, effective October 30, 2010.

Supervisor Giza complimented Gill for being number #1 on the Civil Service list and made mention of his law degree. “We believe he will be a big asset to the police department. He has 26 years on the force. He was PBA president at one time, on the other side of the fence, and now he will be on the other side (of the fence) as an administrator. I hope the department will support you, as well as the board.”

When asked if he wanted to say anything, Gill replied that he wanted to thank the board for placing their confidence in him, that he looks forward with working with the board, and is happy to accept the position.

Council Member Mark Aquino spoke out declaring that the board interviewed three great candidates. “We asked the same questions of all three candidates and everyone was given a fair shake. I know Jerry for a number of years. He is an excellent individual with a lot of integrity. I believe he will bring a lot of new ideas to the department. While we had three great candidates I believe we got the best one and that will be proven in the long term.

Supervisor Giza spoke well of retiring Police Chief Gary Stoldt. After Giza declared that Gary and he had been friends for years, he commended him for the time and effort he put in making the Town of Lancaster and Village of Lancaster police department mergers a success in 2003.

“He took the department through a very tough time," declared Giza. "It was one of the largest mergers in New York State at the time, and maybe still is. He brought together two departments where there were a lot of emotions and stuff. He made the merger go smoothly and he left the department in great shape. I want to thank him, but he is not here this evening, but I hope he gets the message.”
    This scares the hell out of me that this Board of idiots could do something right and not pick the parties choice. GOOD LUCK TO MR. GILL AND USE YOUR JUDGMENT WISELY. I meet Mr. Gill years ago and show good judgement and I hope the job doesn't screw him up . And a word to Mr. Gill the board picked you and that's all Do the Job and make the Town proud .

I for one was surprised to hear Chief Stoldt was retiring. He had actually told others he planned on being around for some time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ichingtheory View Post
    I for one was surprised to hear Chief Stoldt was retiring. He had actually told others he planned on being around for some time yet.
    That was a surprise to me also. Chief Stoldt had some health issues, but they seemed to have been resolved. It was not that long ago that I had asked him whether he was considering retirement and he told me that he planned to be around for some time.

He was up for reappointment and I was told he was nearing 70 years of age. Perhaps the board decised to go in another direction for whatever reason. As the process is closed to the public we will never know, will we?

Regardless, many individuals have good things to say about Gill and we hope that holds true in the future.

Cool The reappointment issue ???????

That was a surprise to me also. Chief Stoldt had some health issues, but they seemed to have been resolved. It was not that long ago that I had asked him whether he was considering retirement and he told me that he planned to be around for some time.

He was up for reappointment and I was told he was nearing 70 years of age. Perhaps the board decised to go in another direction for whatever reason. As the process is closed to the public we will never know, will we?

Regardless, many individuals have good things to say about Gill and we hope that holds true in the future.
    I was surprise buy the reappointment issue as the question on Stoldt, didn't he and Giza go to school together and didn't Stoldt cover his back for years and help Giza in taking care of some problems in the pass, with Giza's kid and some gambling and drinking issue and he turns his back on Stoldt. Well it doesn't surprise me 70 years old and they throw you out. This should be the same for Giza next year and he can have Gary Stoldt take him out. accidents do happen. Sorry to see the way the Town stuck it to Gary but if you hang with them they will screw you!

Originally posted by Hawkeye:
    I was surprise buy the reappointment issue as the question on Stoldt, didn't he and Giza go to school together and didn't Stoldt cover his back for years and help Giza in taking care of some problems in the pass, with Giza's kid and some gambling and drinking issue and he turns his back on Stoldt. Well it doesn't surprise me 70 years old and they throw you out. This should be the same for Giza next year and he can have Gary Stoldt take him out. accidents do happen. Sorry to see the way the Town stuck it to Gary but if you hang with them they will screw you!
    The Bee made it sound like it was Stoldt's intention to retire but then again they're the town's newspaper.

From the Bee-
    Last month, Giza discussed Stoldt’s intention to retire with The Bee, explaining that state law requires police to retire at the age of 70, unless a board requests a two-year extension. Lancaster officials requested and were granted such an extension for Stoldt in 2008. Council members conducted job interviews earlier this month once it was clear that Stoldt would be stepping down.

Giza expressed sadness at seeing his longtime friend and former high school football teammate leaving the force, and he thanked the 40-plus-year member of Lancaster’s police departments for his service, especially as chief through the merger of the village and town forces in 2003.
    “It’s going to be a sad day for me,” Giza said.

Georgia L Schlager

Cool The fact that Giza and Stoldt were buds for years !!

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The Bee made it sound like it was Stoldt's intention to retire but then again they're the town's newspaper.

From the Bee-
    Giza and Gary S. ex-chief were friends for over 50 years and to give him 2 years should have been a given but what goes on in the back room at Town Hall we can only guest. Gary S. was not happy with the status in the Police Station and delays buy the Board to spent the money they have been sitting on for years. We can't take this away from the new Chief Gill but he is going to learn to stand straight at the back of the room and bite his lip and smile. I hope
    his up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Giza and Gary S. ex-chief were friends for over 50 years and to give him 2 years should have been a given but what goes on in the back room at Town Hall we can only guest. Gary S. was not happy with the status in the Police Station and delays buy the Board to spent the money they have been sitting on for years. We can't take this away from the new Chief Gill but he is going to learn to stand straight at the back of the room and bite his lip and smile. I hope
    his up to it.
    I hate to be indelicate, but didn't the chief's son die recently? Maybe that played a role in his decision.

Anyway, he seems like a good guy. Then again, so does Gill. His favorite movie is To Kill A Mockingbird, so he's got my vote.

Originally posted by atotaltotalfan:
    I hate to be indelicate, but didn't the chief's son die recently? Maybe that played a role in his decision.
    I agree. That's a very plausible reason.

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information