Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting under the skin of drunk drivers

Getting under the skin of drunk drivers

Drunken drivers here soon will face another roadblock that’s meant to stop them from drinking and operating a motor vehicle: an ankle bracelet that can tell when they have had a drink.

The electronic device — which measures through the skin how much alcohol someone has consumed — is intended for persistent felony drunken drivers.

Authorities will monitor the devices and bring in for questioning anyone who is caught drinking. Violations could get the offender booted out of the new program and sent to jail.

“If we can stop them from drinking, then half of the drinking-and-driving issue is taken away,” said Jeffrey D. Smith, principal court analyst for the 8th Judicial District.

Violators here will wear the devices as part of a new DWI Court for Erie and Niagara counties. Offenders who enter the court program agree to wear the device, swear off alcohol and meet with counselors and probation officers.

Although the local courts are the first in New York State to use the devices, offenders across the country have worn them, including celebrities such as “30 Rock” star Tracy Morgan and former “Lost” actress Michelle Rodriguez, according to published reports.

A $320,000 grant — federal money funneled through the state — will pay for 60 monitoring devices and the operation of the DWI Court.

“This is wonderful. We have to look at every way available in technology today to keep the drunk driver off the road,” said Elizabeth A. Obad, president of the Erie County chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
    The DWI Court is not only the first of its kind in the state, but the first to use the devices full time.

“It’s not just monitoring. It’s monitoring and counseling. It’s treatment,” said Buffalo City Judge Patrick M. Carney, who will oversee Erie County cases.

The judges could begin in mid-June to require offenders to wear the ankle monitors

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/82863.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I would just make special warning lincense plates....

Yellow when it's one DWI and then like Bright orange when it's multiple times....

Unregistered
    Now if we could only find a way to keep underage kids from drinking and driving.

I hear increasing reports of teenage deaths from MVA's more and more .... especially at this time of year when school proms and graduations are in full swing.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    Now if we could only find a way to keep underage kids from drinking and driving.

I hear increasing reports of teenage deaths from MVA's more and more .... especially at this time of year when school proms and graduations are in full swing.
    Well, as long as we don't require PARENTS to have to be educated on the subject, I guess we can look at other measures...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Well, as long as we don't require PARENTS to have to be educated on the subject, I guess we can look at other measures...
    Do you have teenagers at home?

Sometimes, it's not the parent's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginTaxpayer
    Do you have teenagers at home?

Sometimes, it's not the parent's fault.
    Byron Brown would agree.
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    Byron Brown would agree.
    I don't mean it that way.

Of course, parents are responsible when they don't discipline their kids after they mess up or continuously make excuses for them.

but there comes a time when we won't be standing next to them and teens will have to make their own decisions, esp. against peer pressure. Hopefully they will make the "right" choices.

Like it or not, teenagers will find ways to get alcohol.

Yes, It is up to parents to instil in their kids a sense of responsibility and self-restraint.

But ultimately, it's up to the teenager to use the tools that we've given them.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Yellow when it's one DWI and then like Bright orange when it's multiple times....
    As a nurse, I would like to see orange for the first and Jaundiced Yellow for multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    This is the only time in recorded history when teenagers have been consider to young to be reponsible for their actions.
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Where do you draw the line though? How about different colors for speeders? Aggressive drivers? Next thing you know they'll be a color for different misdemeanors and felonies too...

problems with drinking

We all want a REAL solution to the problems of underage drinking,DWI,DUI,etc. I wish there was a "magic" or sure-fire way to prevent it all. But, alcohol is so socially acceptable in our society. I drink...had a martini last night, as a matter of fact.

The core of the problem, in my opinion, is basic. Enforce laws presently on the books with no way out of it! If the DWI and DUI laws were strictly enforced I believe there would be less of a problem. And, I think...if people were mandated to enter AA or rehab -- at the very least after one incident --there just might be a decline...possibly. When I say enforced...I mean no one gets out of it the "easy" way. This society has too many "easy" buttons (lawyers). No reducing fines or penalty.

Educators and parents can discourage it but kids are still gonna do it! But, that should never stop parents and educators from nagging and nagging. Better role models. (Be the "bad guy".) The programs to educate parents may or may not produce the instant results, but people need to have the information reinforced over and over again.

I wonder how precise these ankle bracelets are? Alcoholics are a driven bunch, and I bet they could come up with ways to easily defeat the technology.

"Oh, I spilled a bottle of mouthwash on the monitor by accident so it gave off a bad reading."

The problem behind this is that the courts are allowing persistant, multiple repeat felony offenders to be out of jail. The goverment has no right to interfere with whether or not a citizen drinks alcohol except for when that citizen chooses to get behind the wheel. I consider this to be an invasion of privacy. Not that the intentions behind doing it arent legitimate. But still, invasive to a persons right's.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV
    I consider this to be an invasion of privacy. Not that the intentions behind doing it arent legitimate. But still, invasive to a persons right's.

They volunteered for the program. Nobody invaded their privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    They volunteered for the program. Nobody invaded their privacy.
    Yeah, I see that now. I was under the impression they were being forced to wear the monitors as part of court mandates.

I guess it could be considered "forced volunteer enrollment" since its an easy get-out-of-jail-free card if you join the program!

If you want to stop the problem provide *alternate* transportation, freely available and frequent. Then the problem *would* stop guaranteed. Fact of the matter is, we don't consider life worth the expense it would create. I can bet you the incidence of DWI in NYC is nearly zero. Look at Texas, it's outrageous, because people don't have an alternative.

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information