Thread: Lancaster BOE adopts $127.27 million spending plan for 2022-23 school year

Lancaster BOE adopts $127.27 million spending plan for 2022-23 school year

Lancaster Bee

The Lancaster Central School District Board of Education meeting on Tuesday, April 19, was brief in nature, with the entire meeting lasting 16 minutes, during which the board addressed 13 agenda items, including the adoption of a $127.27 million 2022-23 spending plan.

The main item of the night was the adoption of the final version of the 2022-23 budget plan, which stands at $126,268,735. The final version was an overall expenditure reduction of $50,000 from the draft that was presented to the board just two weeks ago at the April 4 work session.

With this expenditure reduction, the 2022-23 budget plan comes to a 3.69% budget-to-budget increase, a slight decrease from last year’s 3.73%. This increase calls for an estimated tax levy increase of 2.58%, which is 1.56% – $902,158 – below this year’s maximum property tax levy cap.

The proposed budget for next school year maintains all of the district’s current educational offerings, instructional programs, staffing, and student opportunities, as well as accounts for the district’s contractual salary increases and the rising cost of utilities, gasoline, and supplies.

The annual budget meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Monday, May 9, in the Lancaster High School auditorium, 1 Forton Drive.

Amazingly I posted this thread several days ago and there have been only 71 reads and no comments – especially concerning the Lancaster Bee report was incorrect in declaring the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) adopted 2022-23 budget at $127.27 million, and later at $126.27 million after an adjustment.

The LCSD website posted:

At the April 19, 2022, board of education meeting, trustees adopted a $122.27 million spending plan that maintains all current educational offerings and instructional programs while remaining within the property tax levy cap limit.

The budget reflects an increase of 3.69 percent and calls for an estimated tax levy increase of 2.58 percent, $902,158 (1.56 percent) below this year's maximum tax levy cap.

My absentee ballot, Proposition No. 1, lists the budget at $122.7 million. Fortunately, the remainder of the data presented in the Bee report was accurate.

Interesting is no one has commented whether the budget increase is reasonable considering all the stimulus money received from the federal government and generous state aid funding that took place. Something to investigate.

And what’s with the chatter about the district’s running a day care center now with all the associated program costs?

Haven’t received the LCSD budget report card yet

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Haven’t received the LCSD budget report card yet
    Property tax report card is on their site.
    https://www.lancasterschools.org/cms...Accessible.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks, but the report I was referring to is the one we receive by mail from LCSD which presents revenues and appropriations by category, and estimated property tax rate increase.

Hopefully, I will receive something soon as the Budget Public Hearing is May 9th, and the budget vote is May 17th.

Oh, I know which one now. That's usually.on the district site too but isn't there this year yet

Georgia L Schlager

Posted in error, see Had Enough Yet, post #3450.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

They do have this up on their site but not the community pamphlet

https://www.lancasterschools.org/cms...dget-SBM-1.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Excellent find, Gorga, thank you.

Without this information I was reticent in filling out and mailing my absentee ballot. Looking at the estimated 3.69% increase in tax rate as being reasonable, but seeing the significant percent increase on some line items, and considering the significant increase in state aid* this year, some research is needed before submitting my ballot

*Not listed in the budget summary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Excellent find, Gorga, thank you.

Without this information I was reticent in filling out and mailing my absentee ballot. Looking at the estimated 3.69% increase in tax rate as being reasonable, but seeing the significant percent increase on some line items, and considering the significant increase in state aid* this year, some research is needed before submitting my ballot

*Not listed in the budget summary.
    State and federal aid 2022-23

State and fed aid 2021-2022

Georgia L Schlager

I love how taxes we paid to the state and fed are returned to the town in the form of "Aid"

What a scam

2022-23 Lancaster Central School District Budget Details

https://www.lancasterschools.org/Page/26035

Lancaster Central School District 2022-2023 Budget Vote Results:
    2022-2023 Budget
    Yes: 1689
    No: 650
    Proposition 2: Buses
    Yes: 1851
    No: 485
    Proposition 3: General Capital Reserve Fund
    Yes: 1779