Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Cansdale: coming to an end in Lancaster Village?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post

Wouldn't a friend be considered someone who helped get you elected? Isn't that patronage? Was this job posted for others to Interview for or was this just a thank you to Mike for helping out ?

I believe the person who was hired applied previously before the new board was in place.

No job posting, mmmmm.

Yet, the previous highway superintendent was put down for not having the job posted
    An open letter to the Lancaster Town Board
    Lancaster Town Board
    December 5, 2021
    RE: December 6, 2021, Highway resolution to recognize Highway laborer hiring

Town Board Members

This correspondence concerns the following resolution:

WHEREAS, Daniel Amatura, Highway Superintendent of the Town of Lancaster, by letter dated November 30, 2021, has appointed Noah Speyer to the position of Laborer - Highways in the Town of Lancaster Highway Department, pursuant to New York State Highway Law The hiring will be contingent upon approval by Erie County Department of Personnel.

Supervisor Ruffino is sponsoring the resolution. As Highway Supervisor, Amatura has the authority to hire within his department, this resolution merely recognizes the appointment of Noah Speyer as Laborer in the Highway Department.

Nevertheless, I would hope to hear an explanation why and how this hiring is needed and possible. An opening in the Highway Department is the result of the resignation of Highway Department Working Crew Chief Gerald Kocialski, effective November 30, 2021. The letter of intent to retire was entered into the Clerk’s Office on November 15.

In this short interval of time there was no job posting on the Town website that a position was open in the Highway Department. No resumes appeared in the communications.

A current Highway employee will be promoted to fill the Working Crew Chief position. It will take time to promote along the chain-of-command for there to be an opening in the laborer’s position. There is no opening now.

When there is no established reason for a Highway laborer position opening at this time, when there was no job posting, where a rush to fill a position in two weeks based on contingencies, this appears to be nothing more than an attempt to hire another Speyer.

The Board should not ‘recognize’ this appointment. Established protocols have not been followed.

Lee Chowaniec
    Lancaster, NY

CC Attorney Kevin Loftus
    No job posting for this position and none for the FT dog control officer but it's okay because it's the new board.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    No job posting, mmmmm.

Yet, the previous highway superintendent was put down for not having the job posted

No job posting for this position and none for the FT dog control officer but it's okay because it's the new board.

Good one. Gorga. However, unlike you I will admit and own up when I am wrong.

Had I received a reply from the town board or the then Highway Superintendent, I would know that the new Highway Superintendent is following the same protocol as his predecessor.

There have been no job posting in the past in the Highway Department because there is no Civil Service Exam requirement, it is an appointed position made by Highway Superintendent discretion, based on qualifications - whereby candidates are chosen by job request applications and included resumes.

The Town Board merely recognizes / authorizes the Highway Superintendent’s appointment. My inquiry and comments were entered concerning the hiring of Prowse by the former Highway Superintendent in December.

I am unable to attend Town Board meetings anymore. I am sure this would have been made clear at the meeting had I been there. You do attend meetings. You could have asked this in December and this crap about the new hire, job posting, and patronage would have been cleared up.

As far as the BS about Cicceralli, he and the other guy were promoted by seniority and found to be capable. Had he not been capable in all his years of employment why had he had not been terminated by the previous Highway Superintendent?

The new guys elected to office are neither Democrats nor the defeated endorsed Republican candidates. Cut them some slack and let them govern before you piss all over them in defense of your ousted Democrat cronies.

Your comment on Dog Control job postings is way off base and not worth commenting on. Bring it up at the next town board meeting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information