Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Off To Donate Blood Costs Taxpayers

Time Off To Donate Blood Costs Taxpayers

Time Off To Donate Blood Costs Taxpayers

Posted by: Stefan Mychajliw, Reporter
    Created: 5/10/2007 4:03:12 PM
    Updated: 5/15/2007 12:12:11 AM

Buffalo Cops get an extra day off when they donate blood. And the hundreds of days off every year mean less police on the streets.

It costs taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. And you paid for it.

"They're allowed up to two days per year for donating blood. They can give blood up to six times per year," said Buffalo Police Commissioner H. McCarthy Gipson.

Through a freedom of information request, 2 On Your Side obtained Buffalo Police Department records, that show officers took off a total of 707 days off last year for donating blood.

In 2005: 748 days off.

2 On Your Side's Stefan Mychajliw: "Do you feel as though the cost of having so many police officers off, during the year, outweighs the goodness of donating blood?"

Gipson: "If you look at the parent of a child with a rare blood tape, or anyone, who is in need of blood, and that blood is available through the Red Cross, and it was donated by a Buffalo Police Officer, they're not concerned with the fact that the officer took a day off for donating blood that particular time. They're grateful that blood was available to them."

Mychajliw: "Do you feel that's justified to have officers off the streets, at an average of two cops per day, to donate blood?"

Gipson: "I think it is justified. Yes."

Mychajliw: "In what capacity?"

Gipson: "How do you equate, how do you balance a life that received the blood, the life saving blood, compared to taking a day off. I don't find it to be an equitable balance between the two."

But this benefit also costs you money.

Records show the Buffalo Police Department spent approximately $201,637.65 last year to pay officers for days off for giving blood.

In 2005, it cost taxpayers $212,844.39

Mychajliw: "Would you rather hire, four or five officers for the beat, rather than using this money, this manpower, to donate blood?"

Gipson: "I would definitely like to hire officers. That loss of those dollars and that bit of manpower for that period of time, really doesn't equate to the benefit that's derived to the public, for the donation of that life saving blood."

Mychajliw: "I don't think anyone would argue that donating blood is a good thing to do. But should officers have an extra day off for doing that?"

Gipson: "They get two days a year for donating blood, and I don't see that as being exorbitant."

That's more than 200-thousand taxpayer dollars for police to get extra days off for giving blood. And you paid for it.

Mychajliw: "For the most part, private companies don't do this. Why should it be done in the public sector?"

Gipson: "I recently knew of a CEO who walked away from a local bank. And he had that golden parachute. And he landed very softly with seven figures cushioning his fall. Then, I look at the amount of money the CEO of the New York Stock Exchange got. We don't get those kinds of buyouts. Even I, as the CEO of the Buffalo Police Department, don't have a golden parachute that's going to cushion my fall when this ride is over."

2 On Your Side was contacted by one concerned viewer who wanted to encourage as many people as possible to donate blood and platelets, and how those donations save lives.

"We rely on our donors to provide us with blood and platelets for our patient population. Those officers who come in are true heroes. In fact, every person who comes in to donate is a hero. There simply aren't enough donors out there to keep up with the demands for product (blood and platelets)," wrote Connie Mulligan.

So, 2 On Your Side visited the Blood Bank at Roswell Park Institute and met Charlie Donner.

His 16-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia on Christmas Eve in 1996.

"She would get a donation of platelets from some selfless donor. And in a matter of minutes, her situation was transformed. The nosebleeds would stop, the bruising would stop," said Donner, whose daughter beat her nine-month battle with Leukemia.

Without blood and platelet donations, Roswell Park couldn't perform bone marrow transplants, run an operating room or treat Leukemia patients like Charlie's daughter.

"They (donations) do save lives. They allow us to treat the patients of Western New York. The units that get donated at Roswell Park are used by the patients at Roswell Park. So it's being used by your friends, your neighbors, your relatives, somebody that you know," said Roswell Park Blood Bank Director Dr. Joanne Becker.

To learn more about Roswell Park's Blood Bank, please call (716)-845-8275.

A pathetic excuse of a news station.

Not much of a story, Just so people know, you are not granted a "blood day" if it creates overtime. Anyone donating blood, I suggest doing so at Roswell, they treat you great, are very appreciative and it all stays in the hospital for use there.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by BFLOCOP
    Not much of a story, Just so people know, you are not granted a "blood day" if it creates overtime. Anyone donating blood, I suggest doing so at Roswell, they treat you great, are very appreciative and it all stays in the hospital for use there.
    Do they pay ya?

While I think it is great that you guys donate, you have to look at it from the outside in. Programs like this add up. Isolating a program like this makes it appear to be minimal, but when you add it up with everything else, it becomes a little ridiculous.

The fact that Gibson's reply to the average worker not getting a perk like this says so much about the mindset. He compares a question about average workers and turns it into a commentary on CEO's.

I also love how Roswell calls the cops "true heroes" who get paid to donate but do not mention the larger section of the population who donate on their own dime and time.

Once again, I think it is great that you guys do this but you have to look at the other side and see what they see. Don't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    While I think it is great that you guys donate, you have to look at it from the outside in. Programs like this add up. Isolating a program like this makes it appear to be minimal, but when you add it up with everything else, it becomes a little ridiculous.

The fact that Gibson's reply to the average worker not getting a perk like this says so much about the mindset. He compares a question about average workers and turns it into a commentary on CEO's.

I also love how Roswell calls the cops "true heroes" who get paid to donate but do not mention the larger section of the population who donate on their own dime and time.

Once again, I think it is great that you guys do this but you have to look at the other side and see what they see. Don't you agree?
    No. I don't. The benefits outweigh any drawbacks. And just so you know they have blood drives at the stations and we can donate on duty, and then have up to sixty days to use our day off. So when my cousin gets married in June, I'll give blood before and you'll be paying me to go to my cousins wedding. But I'll tell you what, when I get back my 30k that was stolen from me I'll give up the two blood days that are bankrupting the city.

Ch. 2 is ripping this community apart.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Ch. 2 is ripping this community apart.
    I agree, ignorance is bliss!!!!!

No. I don't. The benefits outweigh any drawbacks. And just so you know they have blood drives at the stations and we can donate on duty, and then have up to sixty days to use our day off. So when my cousin gets married in June, I'll give blood before and you'll be paying me to go to my cousins wedding. But I'll tell you what, when I get back my 30k that was stolen from me I'll give up the two blood days that are bankrupting the city.
    I bet if the City had a blood drive and offered people $20 a donation we'd get a much bigger response than what the PD gives. And the City would save quite a bit of money so I don't see the benefit vs. drawback?

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Do you live in the city or the burbs ?

You just threw out any logic to the day off for blood. I can see someone who says that after giving blood you should not be put in stressful situations. Heck, that was my thinking on why it was there in the first place. But now that you point our the days carry, all I can do is just shake my head.

Now a raise that was not given but was promised by a entity that is no longer in charge of the finances it was going to use to fulfill the promise it gave when it was in charge of said finances is stolen money? (run on sentence on purpose)
    Do you solve all of your crimes assigned to you under that logic?

Now a raise that was not given but was promised by a entity that is no longer in charge of the finances it was going to use to fulfill the promise it gave when it was in charge of said finances is stolen money? (run on sentence on purpose)
    Do you solve all of your crimes assigned to you under that logic?
    Yes and not anymore.

Yes and not anymore.
    You know I almost want you to get paid simply out of pity. For something like this to make you think and act like you do is just a shame. Really, how can I help? Can I set you up a pay pal account for donations?

You know I almost want you to get paid simply out of pity. For something like this to make you think and act like you do is just a shame. Really, how can I help? Can I set you up a pay pal account for donations?
    Surely.

You know what

You know what,....this is stupid,..the city offers us the day off for donating blood....up to TWO Days a year....not cash,...no,...JUST THE DAY OFF...WOW... If anyone has a problem with that your just plum stupid,....think about some of the MORALLY WRONG things your tax dollars go for and get back to me. Also because of the control board, these younger guys that are stuck at a much lower step in pay/ and VACATION TIME.....They should have alot more but aren't allowed to......So City saved MIllions,....yeah thats right Millions....Stephan Waterloo and Channel 2 can lick the back seat of my patrol car.
    We Work Jobs we hate, to buy crap we don't need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information