Thread: County Workers Take Off 30 Minutes Early: And Still Get Paid

County Workers Take Off 30 Minutes Early: And Still Get Paid

County Workers Take Off 30 Minutes Early: And Still Get Paid

Posted by: Stefan Mychajliw, Reporter
    Created: 5/9/2007 7:36:48 PM
    Updated: 5/10/2007 12:01:16 PM

When the sweltering summer sun sets in Western New York, Erie County workers get to go home 30-minutes early everyday.

WEB EXTRA,
    Visit our 'You Paid for It' webpage.

"I think every County Executive going back to Ed Rath would like to not have summer hours. But somehow this has been included in contracts years ago," said Control Board Executive Director Ken Vetter.

But they don't come in any earlier and still get paid for a full day of work. That's all thanks to union contracts.

"Just about all of the rank and file in Erie County get summer hours. They get 1/2 an hour off early each day," added Vetter.

According to a source within Erie County government who is familiar with personnel matters, the County loses an estimated $2.9-to-$3 million in lost productivity because of summer hours.

"It wouldn't necessarily save the County money, it would create a more efficient government, by ensuring our employees, are there for that extra hour, half-hour in the summertime," said Erie County Comptroller Mark Poloncarz.

So what would happen in the private sector?

At the Eastman Machine company in downtown Buffalo, workers do get to go home 30-minutes early. But they also have to come *in* a half an hour early.

Eastman Machine President and CEO Robert L. Stevenson: "What we try to do is adapt to the employees needs based on the season so we still get the same work out of our people."

2 On Your Side's Stefan Mychajliw: "Could you be that competitive if you gave the same or equivalent perks that certain public employees get?”

Stevenson: "I don't think so. We cannot afford to give the types of leaves or absences that government employees get. We are very careful of our costs, we are continually monitoring it."

As for Erie County Comptroller Mark Poloncarz, he believes the Giambra Administration should do something about this.

Mychajliw: "If it was up to you, and you had the decision to make, would you eliminate summer hours?"

Poloncarz: "Well, it makes sense from a financial standpoint. You would be getting a more efficient workforce."

2 On Your Side tried to get an interview with the County on the issue of summer hours.

Initially, they refused because Erie County Executive Joel Giambra's Communication Director said he was unhappy with a story we did in the past.

So, 2 On Your Side went to one of the County Executive's press conferences to get you answers.

Mychajliw: "What has the administration done to potentially save that $3 million lost in productivity, for Erie County?"

Erie County Executive Joel Giambra: "Stef, it's hard to project a number for productivity savings. It's very difficult because we're not in the business of making 'widgets.' So it's very difficult to measure and quantitatively put a number of that. But it's ridiculous. It was put into these contracts many, many, many years ago when buildings did not have air conditioning. It makes no sense today. It's something that is very symbolic, though. Any proposals we've ever made with the bargaining units about changes in terms and conditions of employment, have always included the elimination of summer hours. Recently, unions have been willing to talk about giving up summer hours. But obviously, they want something in return. Summer hours isn't going to save a lot of money. But symbolically, if you're into symbolism, it's a very important piece."

Symbolic, ridiculous, whatever the adjective starting July 1st all the way to the second Monday in September, most Erie County workers will go home 30 minutes every day, putting in 37-and-a-half hours per week.

And you're paying for 40-hours worth of work.
    Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

By all means, as long as we're violating whatever contract clauses we like, let's violate this one.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Who's violating what?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Well, then they should turn off the damn airconditioning for those floors and make up the difference in cost savings that way. If work prpoductivity declines because of the heat then hire non Union replacements and watch Union cry foul on the streets.

BULL **** on that pal Joel.

Actually, I think Giambra makes a valid point. The union isn't going to give up summer hours without getting something else in return. I'm betting it would end up being a financial wash........or even more costly if the unions wanted wage or benefit increases.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Actually, I think Giambra makes a valid point. The union isn't going to give up summer hours without getting something else in return. I'm betting it would end up being a financial wash........or even more costly if the unions wanted wage or benefit increases.
    SCREW THE UNIONS!!! This is about common sense, you get paid for 40 then you work for 40. If that is how everyone feels then the community should get baseball bats and visit these Unions and see who would win in a clubbing match. Betcha the Union folk will work 40 and then some.

It is obvious you have three forces at work in WNY. The local Gov, the Unions, and pure stupidity by the citizens for putting up with all the above crap. The end result you have Erie County which is not to great.

Don't you think it is time for change??? Real change???

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer
    SCREW THE UNIONS!!! This is about common sense, you get paid for 40 then you work for 40. If that is how everyone feels then the community should get baseball bats and visit these Unions and see who would win in a clubbing match. Betcha the Union folk will work 40 and then some.

It is obvious you have three forces at work in WNY. The local Gov, the Unions, and pure stupidity by the citizens for putting up with all the above crap. The end result you have Erie County which is not to great.

Don't you think it is time for change??? Real change???

You want real change? Then figure out how to re-write state law regarding public unions because that's the only way anything will change.

Actually by letting the employees leave a half hour earlier a few months a year versus giving them an equivelent of money as a raise keeps costs down somewhat because then the employer does not have to pay the employer portion of FICA, Meidcare and pension contributions.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    Actually by letting the employees leave a half hour earlier a few months a year versus giving them an equivelent of money as a raise keeps costs down somewhat because then the employer does not have to pay the employer portion of FICA, Meidcare and pension contributions.
    Also true. I think getting rid of the practice would be very nice symbolically. But financially? I doubt the taxpayers would see a benefit.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Also true. I think getting rid of the practice would be very nice symbolically. But financially? I doubt the taxpayers would see a benefit.
    That was put in place because of the heat of summer? If so can we then leave the AC off? Electricity is expensive in NYS

However, if they had in place a process methodology like six sigma that provides metrics and benchmarks we could be engaged in a much more practical discussion and would have the answer to this question rather than dealing in speculation and theories.
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

When you are put on hold to get something answered it will benefit. Bad enough that 10 to 5 minutes before quiting time they will not answer the phone but now you have 30 minutes plus the 5 to 10 minutes..........

You pay for 40 then I want to see 40 not 37.5.

Over this time persiod you have 22.5 hours of poof time. It is not ok and it should be adjusted a 40 hour work week.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer
    Well, then they should turn off the damn airconditioning for those floors and make up the difference in cost savings that way. If work prpoductivity declines because of the heat then hire non Union replacements and watch Union cry foul on the streets.

BULL **** on that pal Joel.
    Biker and I went over this a few years back, it's nothing new. The half-hour was given as a contract item during the 1930s in lieu of pay raises that the County couldn't afford anyway.
    If you think that they're so important, buy them back, or estimate the number of jobs that this money equals (Civil Service, not Giambra Service) and guarentee them for the duration of the contract.

Oh and BTW, don't worry abouyt the air conditioning. Joel had one of his cronies install it and it's (not) working perfectly. A friend told me that last Thursday at 8:00AM the temperature on the 11th floor was 78 degrees.
    Let's hear it for no-bid contracts.

Just remember, when Giambra has something to hide, he usually leaks something about how bad the employees are and how they're stealing all that money in the County Treasury.

Think you can trust the government?
    Ask an Indian!

Even if they make them give back the half hour, well it doesn't mean that you will get a half hour of work back.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    By all means, as long as we're violating whatever contract clauses we like, let's violate this one.
    Well Said Hey its all for the chumps who are supposed to work for us.I am going on summer hours right now. Public service what the hell does that mean.The way I see it Bonnie and Clyde were public servents the stole money too.

Thread Information