Thread: HELP!! Sparky has been sprayed in the face by a skunk!

Exclamation HELP!! Sparky has been sprayed in the face by a skunk!

He is not a happy camper... I let him out and walked around the yard and then came back to the house and smelled almost like burning rubber... and called him to the house, he comes running shaking his head, comes up to the door reaking of skunk, shaking his head eyes watering mouth drooling... spraying skunked drool everywhere... i left him outside, got online... and washed him 3x right away with puppy shampoo in my garage... he doesnt seem to smell now... but he is soaking wet, drying off in the garage, i laid down some towels on the floor and stuff... i towelled him as well but hes still wet, hopefully i got it all... i think he startled the skunk, and got an indirect shot right in the snout....
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

anyones neighbor
    I've also heard that tomato juice will neutralize the smell. Good luck!

Tomato juice. He'll have to soak for a while. It doesn't completely get rid of it, but it will make him more tolerable. When it rains you will smell skunk for about the next 3-4 months. I don't know if shaving him will help, but it's hot enough out that it may be worth a try. You still would have to soak, but I wouldn't recommend shaving then soaking as the acid in the tomato juice would be irritating.
    Also, he will try to get that skunk for the rest of his life. If you don't keep an eye on him he will go after every skunk he sees and get sprayed again.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

I bottle of peroxide
    1/4 cup of baking soda
    2 teaspoons of liquid hand soap
    Put it all in a spray bottle and shake.

Spray your pet .... rub it into their fur ... wait 20 minutes and then give them a bath. Spray it on a cloth and wipe around their eyes. The smell will be gone almost instantly. You can also spray the area that your pet was in (in my case the mud room) ... I sprayed floors, walls etc ... no more smell!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Or just exchange sparky for a new dog that doesn't stink.

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    He is not a happy camper... I let him out and walked around the yard and then came back to the house and smelled almost like burning rubber... and called him to the house, he comes running shaking his head, comes up to the door reaking of skunk, shaking his head eyes watering mouth drooling... spraying skunked drool everywhere... i left him outside, got online... and washed him 3x right away with puppy shampoo in my garage... he doesnt seem to smell now... but he is soaking wet, drying off in the garage, i laid down some towels on the floor and stuff... i towelled him as well but hes still wet, hopefully i got it all... i think he startled the skunk, and got an indirect shot right in the snout....
    It is the smell of burning rubber and garlic mixed together... I feel your pain , last year i had a 20 lb skunk living under my house and he or she used to spray at least 2 times a week in our crawlspace! The dog got hit once and I found a good home remedy of peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap.. it neutralizes the skunk smell. It doesnt work perfectly especially if your pet has alot of fur... and depending on how big the dog is you will need alot of this stuff.

I noticed the recipe is already posted so I will be a witness to its effectiveness!! Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by anyones neighbor View Post
    I've also heard that tomato juice will neutralize the smell. Good luck!

Yep. Dogs got sprayed a couple of times when I was younger. This works.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Yep. Dogs got sprayed a couple of times when I was younger. This works.
    Tomato juice doesnt work as well as the peroxide remedy.. and if your dog is light in color.. he will be pink when your done lathering him in tomato juice...

I will also attest to the peroxide/baking soda remedy. My Yorkie got nailed at close range. She was actually dripping wet from it!!
    I had to shave her first (try that and wretching into a garbage pail at the same time ewwwwww!!!!!) because she had so much hair.
    One thing to remember is to bathe your pet with some good conditioning PET shampoo after because the solution is very drying to their skin.

And in case you have a dog that manages to get in the house before you know what's going on and rubs itself all over the carpets and bed, Dobmeiers (sp) Janitorial supply store sells ozone bombs to clear the smell from your house. They work pretty well. They also suggested a solution to use for washing clothes that were stinky. I don't remember the name, but it also worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    he will try to get that skunk for the rest of his life. If you don't keep an eye on him he will go after every skunk he sees and get sprayed again.
    More proof that the average dog is as dumb as a box of rocks
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

From an article I found years ago:

So. You or your dog or even a part of your house has been sprayed by a skunk, and now you want to get rid of the smell.

These tactics WILL NOT work very well:

Bath in tomato juice
    Spray with lemon or orange citrus
    Masking agents like perfume or Fabreze

How do you eliminate the odor once you have been sprayed by a skunk? Well first of all, you or your dog should have known the warning signs ahead of time. A skunk will give many clear signals before it sprays. If threatened, it will stamp its front feet, arch its back, and shuffle away. If you don't leave right away, it will turn its posterior toward you, raise the tail, and release the smelly musk, a sulfur-alcohol compound, from special glands near the anus. This spray not only stinks, but burns and can cause temporary blindness if it is sprayed directly into the eyes. Since you didn't take heed and got sprayed, here is how to get rid of the smell:

Here is the secret recipe that WORKS. Mix the following:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent

Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.

Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.

Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.

For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.

If you can't go to all of the trouble of buying hydrogen peroxide at your local drug store, then a 2% vinegar solution will help a bit. But please, don't bother with the old tomato juice tactic unless you want to smell like skunk + tomato.

[QUOTE=nogods;664266]

Here is the secret recipe that WORKS. Mix the following:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent

QUOTE]

The best remedy! The only thing that has ever worked with my dogs, and usually one gets sprayed yearly.

I found another solution, salt water... seemed to work well. sparky recieved a total of 5 baths in my garage, and now he smells like a dog.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thread Information