Thread: The New Conservative Town Council Majority: An Historical Perspective

The New Conservative Town Council Majority: An Historical Perspective

Republicans sweep Town of Lancaster elections for board and highway departments

November 04, 2021

By JAMES SINNER Editor

The Nov. 2 election saw the Town of Lancaster’s GOP regain an already occupied seat, while claiming new territory on both the town council and highway departments.

Republican Adam Dickman, a current board member, reclaimed his position with 6,318 votes from the electorate. Fellow Republican Mark Burkard, vying for a first-time position on the council, handily claimed his seat, gaining 6,315 votes from the electorate. Sitting Democrat councilmember Mike Wozniak and challenging cross endorsed candidate Paul Rudz each gained 4,330 and 3,791 votes respectively.

The Town of Lancaster’s Highway Superintendent race between sitting Democrat superintendent Daniel J. Amatura and the challenging Republican John R. Pilato saw Pilato take the win, receiving 6,251 votes or 57.4% of the electorate. Amatura brought in a total of 3,856 votes.

The Town Justice position was unchallenged, leaving the lone endorsed candidate Anthony J. Cervi to receive 8,937 votes.
    Reference: Lancaster Bee, November 4, 2021

The Democrat Party has held control of the Lancaster Town Board for all but four years since 1946.

So strong was its grip on power, from 1963-1979, with the exception of Receiver of Taxes, not one elected position in the town was held by a Republican, and the Receiver of Taxes position flipped Democrat, I believe in 1965.

These attachments are from the November 7, 1963 Lancaster Enterprise which reports the Democrat sweep of November 5, 1963.

(Click On Images To Enlarge)

To put that Election Day into historical context, 17 days later, President Kennedy would travel to Dallas, Texas.

To put election days 1963 and 2021 into historical perspective, it was an honorable time in Lancaster, because those 1963 Democrat candidates were men who always did their best to serve the overall interests of Lancaster, and faithfully tended to the needs of Lancaster's grassroots residents.

Those noble men elected on November 5, 1963 would share much, much, more in common with the Conservative candidates elected on November 2, 2021, than they would with the Democrat ticket defeated last Tuesday.

I am proud to write that I knew each of those icons, and I am sure that they would have been appalled at the campaign conduct of the 2021 Democrat ticket.

I would be remiss if I did not note that among those elected on November 5, 1963 was a young Bob Thill, who defeated the incumbent Republican Town Clerk.

Lancaster is grateful that Mr. Thill, although without elective office, continues to honorably and actively serve this town, we can all agree that Lancaster is richer for his continuing service.

BTW, no Supervisor Ruffino, Mr. Thill was not "out of order; you were "out of line."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 11th, 2021 at 05:07 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    So strong was its grip on power, from 1963-1979, with the exception of Receiver of Taxes, not one elected position in the town was held by a Republican, and the Receiver of Taxes position flipped Democrat, I believe in 1965.
    My Bad!

In 1971, David Sisti did manage to wrestle a Town Board seat, but he resigned shortly after assuming office. That position was filled by a Democrat in early 1973.

That seat held by the same Democrat actor until January, 1980.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 13th, 2021 at 04:12 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Thread Information