Thread: Cheektowaga Town Board candidates go back to the basics

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Cheektowaga Town Board candidates go back to the basics

The six-member Cheektowaga Town Board and supervisor are all Democrats, but they have found plenty to debate as they confront the most basic government issues, from flooding and sewage lines to taxes and revaluation.
    https://buffalonews.com/news/local/g...PDwQJqy23gny84

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    From the Article

Jasinski, 51, has degrees in business management and mechanical engineering and is state manager for a construction company. Republican and Conservative endorsements.

"For change. In my town, people are used to the bureaucratic ways of paying high taxes. A close family member has built their house in the Town of Cheektowaga and lived in that house for just about 50 years, is on a fixed income and paying taxes from years ago. We need to take better care of our seniors, and people that oppose it will be thanking me if I get that passed. We need to cap property taxes. If you live in the town for 10 years, you get a cap. If you're 65 or older, you're done paying high taxes, that's over."

Issues: "Fiscal accountability. ... Between Walmart, Chick-fil-A, Wegmans, Kohls and Target, there is enough tax revenue from all those employers to pay for the tax burden for the Town of Cheektowaga."
    What does he mean "paying taxes from years ago"..... I thought that is why we have timely assessment reviews.

Why would people living in town for 10 years get a cap? OR if you are 65 or older, you're done paying high taxe, that's over?

So he thinks we can charge businesses more to offset what home owners should pay?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Article

Kaznowski III, 64, has a master's degree in business from Canisius College. General manager of Griffco Valve manufacturing, he was a Council member from 2008 to 2013. Democratic endorsement.

"Too often when an individual is elected to public office, they forget why they were elected. I believe the first priority of any elected official is responding to the needs of the people they represent. The top priority is improving residents' quality of life through maximizing government services with efficient use of tax dollars."

Issues: "Neighborhood flooding caused by antiquated storm and sanitary systems, quality-of-life neighborhood crime such as car break-ins, excessive speeding down streets and noise pollution; efficient use of tax dollars."
    Well he hasn't really done any of that since 2008 so why would we expect that to change once elected? Correct?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Nowak, 34, has a bachelor's degree in education and history from SUNY Buffalo State. He works in retail sales and was elected to the board in 2017. Democratic and Working Families endorsements.

"I'm running for Town Council because Cheektowaga needs and deserves representation that invests in our parks, youth programming, senior services and other quality-of-life programs. I will continue being a set of eyes on our town budget that is honest about the needs and challenges facing the town. From public safety to development, we need to manage expenses and invest appropriately for the future."

Issues: "The town has to continue needed and mandated work to improve our sanitary and storm sewer infrastructure. We have an opportunity to save millions of dollars through a conversion to updated street lighting, and there's a need to quickly leverage our new comprehensive plan to get new business investment, government funding and grant assistance to continue development and redevelopment."
    So we are going to save "millions of dollars through a conversion to updated street lighting?" I didn't realize the current street lights burn millions of dollars of electricity.

Typical democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So we are going to save "millions of dollars through a conversion to updated street lighting?" I didn't realize the current street lights burn millions of dollars of electricity.

Typical democrat.
    In Lancaster, our annual bill was $197,000 less using LED than the old bulbs.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Any idea how much was spent to upgrade to LED? I wonder what the payback time frame is.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I wonder which town board members are all giddy that AOC is on her way in support of India Walton.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Any idea how much was spent to upgrade to LED? I wonder what the payback time frame is.

No I don't know the initial cost but was expected 10-12 year pay back but predicting it will be sooner as evidence of the cost savings so far

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

No I don't know the initial cost but was expected 10-12 year pay back but predicting it will be sooner as evidence of the cost savings so far
    I'm ok with led upgrades because they can pay for themselves. The labor saved on bulb replacements including energy savings. From what I read they are more reliable than the older style bulbs.

Only thing people need to consider is the "Color" of the light used.

Thread Information