Thread: Village of Lancaster noise ordinance

Village of Lancaster noise ordinance

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
    VILLAGE OF LANCASTER

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Village of Lancaster Board of Trustees passed a resolution at their July 26, 2010, Village Board meeting, to conduct a public hearing in the Council Chambers of the Lancaster Municipal Building, 5423 Broadway, Lancaster, New York on Monday, August 9, 2010, at 7:15 p.m.

The purpose of this hearing is for consideration of amending Chapter 114, “Peace and Good Order” of the Code of the Village of Lancaster.

If enacted Chapter 114, “Peace and Good Order” of the Village Code would be amended as follows:

Section 114-1 shall read:
    "The Anti-Noise Ordinance of the Town of Lancaster, New York as presently found at Chapter 38 of the code of the Town of Lancaster, together with all subsequent modifications, amendments and recodifications shall be deemed incorporated within the Code of the Village of Lancaster as if fully stated herein."

Sections 114-2 and 114-3 of the Code of the Village of Lancaster shall be repealed.

Section 114-4, of the Code of the Village of Lancaster “Obstruction of exits
    prohibited” shall be renumbered Section 114-2.

Section 114-5, of the Code of the Village of Lancaster “Penalties for offenses” shall be renumbered Section 114-3.

At said hearing, all persons so desiring shall have the opportunity to be heard.

If they are going to enforce it unilaterally, then I have no issues with it. If they pick and choose who gets cited, it's just another series of words on a page....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
    VILLAGE OF LANCASTER

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Village of Lancaster Board of Trustees passed a resolution at their July 26, 2010, Village Board meeting, to conduct a public hearing in the Council Chambers of the Lancaster Municipal Building, 5423 Broadway, Lancaster, New York on Monday, August 9, 2010, at 7:15 p.m.

The purpose of this hearing is for consideration of amending Chapter 114, “Peace and Good Order” of the Code of the Village of Lancaster.

If enacted Chapter 114, “Peace and Good Order” of the Village Code would be amended as follows:

Section 114-1 shall read:
    "The Anti-Noise Ordinance of the Town of Lancaster, New York as presently found at Chapter 38 of the code of the Town of Lancaster, together with all subsequent modifications, amendments and recodifications shall be deemed incorporated within the Code of the Village of Lancaster as if fully stated herein."

Sections 114-2 and 114-3 of the Code of the Village of Lancaster shall be repealed.

Section 114-4, of the Code of the Village of Lancaster “Obstruction of exits
    prohibited” shall be renumbered Section 114-2.

Section 114-5, of the Code of the Village of Lancaster “Penalties for offenses” shall be renumbered Section 114-3.

At said hearing, all persons so desiring shall have the opportunity to be heard.
    If you read this carefully, you will find that all they are doing is:

Re-wording section 114-1
    repealing sections 114-2 and 114-3
    and renumbering the other sections to line the numbers up with the repealed section

This is simply a housekeeping action.

Quote Originally Posted by gshowell View Post
    If you read this carefully, you will find that all they are doing is:

Re-wording section 114-1
    repealing sections 114-2 and 114-3
    and renumbering the other sections to line the numbers up with the repealed section

This is simply a housekeeping action.
    So you believe that changing 114-1 (current Village code) to the Town of Lancaster's noise ordinance is simply a housekeeping action? I just don't read it that way. We shall see, eh?

And I agree with Safewny concerning enforcing the code and enforcing it unilaterally. The town sems to have a problem doing that.

In starting to get a bit involved in the village politics, it seems like everyone (or the vast majority) wished that the village PD was still around. Based on my experiences, I have to say I agree.

We'll see how this all plays out though. I think that the village board has started hearing a lot of complaints from people about noise, and other quality of life issues.

I'd like to be upbeat that this will be a good thing for the village, but like other ordinances, they are only as good as the LPD is at enforcing them.

Not bashing the LPD by any means - but if it is against an ordinance, or against the law, it needs to be addressed -not ignored.

Thread Information