Thread: August 23, 2021, Town Board meeting – clarification please

August 23, 2021, Town Board meeting – clarification please

Unable to attend town board meetings anymore, I am no longer able to personally address the board seeking clarification on pre-file resolutions, the communications, or issues plaguing the town.

I would hope to hear from committee reports, public comments on pre-filed resolutions, and at resolution consideration clarification on the following:

Resolution 11

Why does the town need two additional new two (2) new and unused 2022 Western Star 4700SB Truck Cabs & Chassis with Viking Cives Equipment for use by the Highway Department? They are not replacements and cost the town $528,708.00. The great percentage of new development is from patio homes, town houses and apartments – where all are HOA’S, plow their own roads and get huge tax breaks as well.

Resolution 16

Am I correct in assuming Ronald Hoffmann’s Highway Department hiring is not an employee position addition but a replacement for an opening the result of a retirement?

In fact, isn’t Mr. Hoffmann transferring from the Parks & Recreation department leaving an opening in that department?

I ask because no such information is not provided in the language of the resolution or in the Communications.

Resolution 17

Reason for the hiring of a ‘provisional accountant’? Was the new position posted and open for public application? What are Ms. Chamberlain’s qualifications? Resume?

What is the status of the town audit performed by the Drescher-Malecki Accounting firm? Were the audit findings the reason for the hiring of a town accountant to assist the Director of Budget & Finance?

New dog shelter construction

Progress report from Dog Control Committee Chair Wozniak. The construction bid was awarded at the July 12th town board meeting. We have heard nothing on the project’s process since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Resolution 11

Why does the town need two additional new two (2) new and unused 2022 Western Star 4700SB Truck Cabs & Chassis with Viking Cives Equipment for use by the Highway Department? They are not replacements and cost the town $528,708.00. The great percentage of new development is from patio homes, town houses and apartments – where all are HOA’S, plow their own roads and get huge tax breaks as well.
    Transparency is needed here.

Resolution 17

Reason for the hiring of a ‘provisional accountant’? Was the new position posted and open for public application? What are Ms. Chamberlain’s qualifications? Resume?*
    I hope this is not arrogantly explained away with the "Basically, I have three votes" mantra.

What is the status of the town audit performed by the Drescher-Malecki Accounting firm? Were the audit findings the reason for the hiring of a town accountant to assist the Director of Budget & Finance?
    A very good question which is deserving of an answer before the 2022 Budget process begins; a future endeavor which should be scrutinized by the entire Town Council with the sage admonition "Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice, shame on us."

Progress report from Dog Control Committee Chair Wozniak. The construction bid was awarded at the July 12th town board meeting. We have heard nothing on the project’s process since then.
    Let's hope that God's creatures animals are not going to continue to be, in my opinion, political pawns.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 21st, 2021 at 07:12 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Town Board clarification responses

Too often resolution language is incomplete or opaque.

Reponses to my request for resolution and other clarification:

Resolution 11

Why does the town need two additional new two (2) new and unused 2022 Western Star 4700SB Truck Cabs & Chassis with Viking Cives Equipment for use by the Highway Department? They are not replacements and cost the town $528,708.00.

Response: The two trucks will replace two of the current fleet when received and the two in use will be traded in.

Resolution 16

Am I correct in assuming Ronald Hoffmann’s Highway Department hiring is not an employee position addition but a replacement for an opening the result of a retirement?

In fact, isn’t Mr. Hoffmann transferring from the Parks & Recreation department leaving an opening in that department?

I ask because no such information is not provided in the language of the resolution or in the Communications.

Response: My assumption was correct. An opening will have to be filled in the Parks & Rec. Department

Resolution 17

Reason for the hiring of a ‘provisional accountant’? Was the new position posted and open for public application? What are Ms. Chamberlain’s qualifications? Resume?

Response: The town audit opinion has yet to be rendered. The accountant position is the result of the audit findings and recommended by Drescher-Malecki Accounting.

Supervisor Ruffino declared the position was posted and that Ms. Chamberlain was one of many applicants that were reviewed. No one asked whether the new position required a Civil Service exam and where Ms. Chamberlain placed on exam results.

Response: Dog Control Committee Chair Mike Wozniak informed the board that a meeting was to take place Wednesday between the town and engineering to move the project along. Absent a ‘curveball’ construction will begin sometime in September and move along.

Other

In listening to the website recording of last night’s meeting, certain parts were indistinguishable because speakers were either not using the microphones provided or positioned too distant from them. The recordings lose their value to individuals who are unable to attend the meetings but still interested in how their town is being managed.
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; August 24th, 2021 at 03:48 PM.

Response: Dog Control Committee Chair Mike Wozniak informed the board that a meeting was to take place Wednesday between the town and engineering to move the project along. Absent a ‘curveball’ construction will begin sometime in September and move along.
    Lee, I also listened to the remarks of Councilman Wozniak.

I am somewhat concerned about the "curveball" reference; an obvious qualifier suggestive of complications not dissimilar to those which attended the previous "think out of the box" metaphor. I believe that metaphor also can be attributed to Councilman Wozniak. If I am wrong about that citation, someone please correct me.

Indeed, such an unspecified "curveball" may concern issues which could delay the suggested mid-September start date; a potential obstruction which, given seasonal considerations, could result in increased costs necessitated by winter construction adaptations.

Of course once construction begins it will be full steam ahead, but the question is, when specifically, will the project begin?

Why does this project never seem to move forward without hesitation?

In listening to the website recording of last night’s meeting, certain parts were indistinguishable because speakers were either not using the microphones provided or positioned too distant from them. The recordings lose their value to individuals who are unable to attend the meetings but still interested in how their town is being managed.
    I also experienced some problems hearing some comments. Those muffled voices need to be directed into a microphone prominently planted in front of them. To do otherwise is to have the effectiveness of an actor who plays a game of darts blindfolded, just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 24th, 2021 at 05:14 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Thread Information