Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be the ideal population for the United States?

What would be the ideal population for the United States?

What do people think is a good, sustainable population for the United States?

The current population is now:307,006,550 citizens, plus about 12 million or so illegal aliens and also some temporary visitors. Compare this with the population around the time of our independence, which was only 5,308,483.

We know this country was founded on immigration, but at what point is the United States "full"? 400,000,000? 500,000,000? 1 Billion or more? The more people there are, the more poverty there will be, the less open space there is, and the environment will be degraded even more.

Is there an endgame when the US is full, or do we just sell out everything from quality of life to nature in order to make a quick buck of the back of low paid immigrants?

"We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad." --Barack Obama

I have 2 answers.

350 million

500 million

The first is if the US wants to eat it's own food, drink its own water and power it's own lights... The second number is if we want mexico, China and Canada to do it for us...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    I have 2 answers.

350 million

500 million

The first is if the US wants to eat it's own food, drink its own water and power it's own lights... The second number is if we want mexico, China and Canada to do it for us...
    I don't see us stopping at either number. What's scary is that business interests more or less control the number of people we allow into this country. It's currently at over ONE MILLION per year, and that's just legal immigrants. Our future standard of living is in the control of those who are willing to sacrifice everything for a quick buck.

What would it take to get a "cap" for immigration, ie rewriting laws or making an Amendment to the Constitution? Can we have an honest debate in this country about it... or would it get hijacked by special interests and people playing the race card?

Knowing our recent history, I think the US population will get to over 1 billion before this question is ever raised.

Actually, the biggest reason why we have seen a big population spike has to do with social programs!

During the first 180 years of the US, when we didn't have as many hand outs, you didn't have kids unless you could afford them... now, they group having the most kids are the bottom 20% of our population... which lives off the rest of us!

As long as we continue our welfare programs we will see to a huge number of poor people having kids they can't afford!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    Actually, the biggest reason why we have seen a big population spike has to do with social programs!

During the first 180 years of the US, when we didn't have as many hand outs, you didn't have kids unless you could afford them... now, they group having the most kids are the bottom 20% of our population... which lives off the rest of us!

As long as we continue our welfare programs we will see to a huge number of poor people having kids they can't afford!
    You may be surprised, but the population increase is NOT due to native born populations giving birth. We are at a reasonable replacement rate in this country.

The problem is immigration from third world countries, which bring in 1,000,000+ per year.

Immigration accounts for 75% of the increases in population. Births, the other 25%.

Overpopulation is the biggest threat to mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Overpopulation is the biggest threat to mankind.
    Correct. If only people in third world countries would understand this as it is them that is the problem.

Many of the problems we have right now can be fixed. However, adding billions of people to the planet will only make these things infinitely harder to fix.

Overpopulation is not the primary problem...

Over-using resources with reckless abandon and yes trying to make a quick buck off the backs of immigrants. Incidentally who is making this money? You guessed it agri-business / meat-packers and anyone else who can exploit this labor.

If people trimmed down their consumption then we wouldn't have to worry so much (yes overpopulation is a problem, but not the most major problem).

Ideal population for a country so large is kind of meaningless to ask.

I think the population density of Buffalo proper could be raised. In fact I say make WNY the new palestinian homeland, or the new zionist state (I really don't care) and get people to move in here. We have capacity, just not enough bodies to support the infrastructure. I say open it up to some third world nations like Burma, Indonesia, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Genoobie View Post
    O

In fact I say make WNY the new palestinian homeland, or the new zionist state (I really don't care) and get people to move in here.

Yes, because both sides have shown thmselves to be rational people.

I think we should limit our population to one child.. preferably a male.

I remember a good catholic family would have at least 6.. This was pre TV period.
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Over-using resources with reckless abandon and yes trying to make a quick buck off the backs of immigrants. Incidentally who is making this money? You guessed it agri-business / meat-packers and anyone else who can exploit this labor.

If people trimmed down their consumption then we wouldn't have to worry so much (yes overpopulation is a problem, but not the most major problem).

Ideal population for a country so large is kind of meaningless to ask.

I think the population density of Buffalo proper could be raised. In fact I say make WNY the new palestinian homeland, or the new zionist state (I really don't care) and get people to move in here. We have capacity, just not enough bodies to support the infrastructure. I say open it up to some third world nations like Burma, Indonesia, etc...
    Mexico City

Mumbai

Haiti

Funny seems like they are the ones with the most problems.

We can overpopulate all we wnat the Earth will take care of its own. Nothing we do will change that. Natural disater, plague... it will just happen. Just like it always has..

Quote Originally Posted by PickOranges View Post
    I think we should limit our population to one child.. preferably a male.
    Planned parent hood coined this. worked well for China didnt it?

Trimmed down their consumption? cut back? didnt waste as much? you need a reality check pal.

Those doing the waste is govt, and the ultra rich. Us poor people cant afford to waste ****... here how about this, from now on, YOU and YOUR family consume 1/2 the food you consumed last week, and YOU start conserving, set an example if you will...

This whole 'America consumes to much' is pure and utter bull****. It is being used to DRIVE us down... we consume too much this or too much of that, and we are paid too much... and we get too much health care... and on and on... people like you are going to turn the US into another india, with mass poverty and ultra poor, cause the US consumes too much...

get real
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Uh, have you ever seen pictures of other countries??

People are on a starvation diet pal (not advocating that for people in the US). But that's not the consumption I'm referring to. Yes I am aware that the ultra-rich are consuming as well.

I can tell you that in the school cafeterias food gets thrown away by the dumpster-full on nearly a daily basis. People have choices here and sadly many bad choices are made.

People here when compared with most other countries are doing quite well. To be poor in America is to be rich globally. Food is not a problem, shelter is not a problem, clothing is not a problem, that's 90% right there! The rest is gravy.

So don't get on your high-horse saying that I'm bringing America down.

I garbage picked a 35" CRT TV. Two working lawnmowers. Two bicycles. I mean what more do you want??

BTW, not that it matters and I'm not looking for woe-is-me, or pity, but I live in a double with rental income to support my family and myself. The five of us share 1500 sq. ft. and one bathroom. I just fished wire and mudded holes in the wall after working on my car all day, so don't give me crap. At 40K + 7K in rental income I'm able to set aside about 6K / year in savings. Just smart with the money and the skills and don't buy lots of crap...that's all.

It seems to me, when compared to other nations, our population density is quite low.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information