Thread: The Thruway

The Thruway

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- The Seneca Indian Nation says the state is trespassing on Seneca land after tribal leaders voted to rescind a 1954 resolution that allowed part of the state Thruway to cross the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation.

The Governor's office issued a statement in regards to the issue:
    "The Senecas sued over this matter in 1999 and lost."

According to the UB Law Library, the Senecas, in 1999, sued for land rights to Cuba Lake, Grand Island and contested the State and New York Thruway Authority's 1954 right-ofway
    over the Cattaraugus Reservation. The Seneca's tried to appeal, but were denied.

In a sign of heightening tension between the state's new governor and the western New York tribe, the Senecas say leaders are reviewing agreements with New York. They say the move comes in light of discussions in state government about possibly taxing Indian reservations sales statewide.

Seneca President Maurice John Senior says he outlined Tribal Council's unanimous vote in a letter to Governor Spitzer on Wednesday.

The Senecas and Spitzer are at odds over the state's plans to collect sales tax on cigarettes sold by reservation retailers to non-Indian customers. The Senecas say federal treaties dating to the 1700s shield the nation from state taxation.
    Are those burning tires I smell????

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    Are those burning tires I smell????
    yup, I believe so. The Indians aren't gonna say "UNCLE" anytime soon.

Exclamation Honor Treaties!

The treaties read ,

As long as the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

As long as Creeks and Rivers flow to the Lakes and Oceans.

Whats so hard to understand - Honor Indian Treaties .
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Exactly which treaty provides any form of tax exemption to non-Indians on Indian land?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Looks like trouble

Looks like the tribe wants to bring back the violence they created before.
    I thought gambling was illegal in NY

Break their god damned backs this time. If they frig with Interstate Commerce then that's domestic terrorism. I wonder what provisions there are in the Patriot Act that can be applied?

The tire burners should be flogged. People that put tires out on the front yard for the purpose of having some tool burn them should be flogged. The whole "weeping indian" is a white man's creation. Those animals don't give a flying fig about "nature". A quick drive through the Cat Res is proof positive.

During the rally downtown a month or so ago, a Seneca speaker got up and said that they can no longer burn tires and block the thruway because they would be seen as terrorists.

This should be interesting to see how it plays out.

It will show us Elliots true colors!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    During the rally downtown a month or so ago, a Seneca speaker got up and said that they can no longer burn tires and block the thruway because they would be seen as terrorists.

This should be interesting to see how it plays out.
    I don't think there is much tolerance for this type of behavior with terrorist from all over attacking the US.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I thought gambling was illegal in NY

Quote Originally Posted by justaxme
    Looks like the tribe wants to bring back the violence they created before.
    I hope they do.

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    Exactly which treaty provides any form of tax exemption to non-Indians on Indian land?
    You Just amaze me with your logic

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    You Just amaze me with your logic

Can you answer the question?
    “We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” ― Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dtwarren
    Can you answer the question?

DT,
    That question is unfair because it immediately stops the tax free people n their tracks...

Let the Indians buy all the tax free gas and smokes they want, it's the least we can do for them after defeating them...
    Non-Indians aren't entitled to tax free purchases though.

Now, as I said earlier, let the indians try to fool around with the Thruway or "utility raight of ways"...We'll cut off the gas, electric, and water to the couple of hundred that are current on their bills.

I believe it's the 1847 treaty by which the Senecas were forced to give up their Buffalo Creek Reservation, which included what is now much of what is now South Buffalo as well as parts of West Seneca and Orchard Park.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Actually the 1838 Treaty of Buffalo Creek ( http://digital.library.okstate.edu/k...es/new0502.htm ) eliminated all of their reservations in New York. Some Senecas did not want to remove and were dissatisfied with it and protested which resulted in the 1842 Treaty of Buffalo Creek ( http://digital.library.okstate.edu/k...es/sen0537.htm ) which permitted them to keep the land they presently have. The Tonawanda Band of Senecas negotiated their own treaty to keep their land in 1857 ( http://digital.library.okstate.edu/k...es/sen0767.htm ). None of these treaties provide any exemption from taxation to any non-Indian.

Unregistered

For DT

I found this just for you ...

Thread Information