Thread: Bflo News ends anonymous comments Aug 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered

Bflo News ends anonymous comments Aug 1

Margaret Sullivan's decision to end anonymous blog comments has likely stirred more responses than any other issue.

Yet there has barely been a ripple on SUWNY, despite the site nearly being destroyed by an anonymous "mutiny" & 'dirty tricks' campaign by several former heavy posters early this year.

Rarely are anonymous posts informative & constructive, too often being a shield for vicious (often racist) attacks.

In a democracy, free flow of information & vigorous civic discourse is essential. Depite the powerful 'democratic' potential of the Inter-net to both inform & reform, too often serious posters are driven away by the relentlss anonymous attacks or drivel, as the truthfulness or motivation of many posts cannot be confirmed.

I welcome the Bflo News change of policy.

Franklin Roosevelt's comment is relevant to all those posters whose fear of revelation of their identities borders on paranoia . . ."You have nothing to fear but fear itself"!

And, hopefully, many of the most destructive posters will be embarassed to reveal who they really are . . & find some other outlet for their venom.
    http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/07/1...ing-stirs.html

"We hope online News readers will tell us who they are and get right back in the discussion."

Margaret Sullivan: End of anonymous commenting stirs debate

By Margaret Sullivan EDITOR
    Updated: July 18, 2010, 8:29 AM /

A few weeks ago, I wrote about The News' plans to change our policy on readers' online comments. The gist is this: Beginning Aug. 2, we will no longer post anonymous comments. If you want to comment in The News — both in print and online — you'll have to give us your real name and hometown.

Since then, the response has come fast and furious. The New York Times, CNN, the Boston Globe and Canada's CBC radio network have covered the decision, which seems to be the first of its kind for a metropolitan daily paper in the United States.

The move has touched off the hot topic of anonymous Web flaming.

Plenty of criticism has come our way — and some kudos, as well.

The naysayers (many of whom, interestingly, prefer to remain anonymous) are blasting us for what they see as noxious free-speech violations and an effort to protect our evil political agenda. The Internet, as they see it, is a place where anything goes. Limiting that is a sin against free expression.

The supporters, by contrast, are relieved that the astonishingly hateful and venomous commentary on news stories ("It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots," writes Gene Weingarten in a column that ran today) will likely be restrained once people have to identify themselves. They are hoping for a measure of civility, without the loss of wide-ranging discussion and diverse viewpoints.

Meanwhile, we are working on getting people's identities and verifying them. It's challenging in this era when many people don't have a published listing for a land line telephone, the traditional verification tool for printed "letters to the editor."

Those who are working on the project here recognize that there will be some bumps along the way. We also know that, like so many ventures on the Internet, this one is something of an experiment. We've tried the other way, living in the anonymous Wild West world, for more than a year, and are ready for something else.

Those readers who want to comment on stories can register in advance of the August changeover by clicking here: http://verify.buffalonews.com/

We hope online News readers will tell us who they are and get right back in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by kernwatch View Post

Rarely are anonymous posts informative & constructive, too often being a shield for vicious (often racist) attacks.

I find several topics and posts very informative and constructive on this site, regardless of whether or not the poster is anonymous.

But, I hope that isn't what you were hinting at, because that topic here is getting quite old.

I do agree with you, however, that the News moving away from the anonymous posting is a good idea. It may sound hypocritical, but there is a vast difference between the News site and this one.

Well when there is weirdos who stalk down housing cops and then have to leave town because they are officially a stalker, can you blame us for posting anonymous.

Although I am strong and tough, I try to avoid having to beat up stalkers.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

This is a bad idea. While there are no doubt some trolls, anonymous posting is most often the real, unadulterated TRUTH. It's what people want to say and what is really on their minds, but in real life is self-censored out of fear of ridicule.

To be honest I have no problem with it, I'll keep posting as I did before.

However, I think their choice is based on laziness and nothing more! They don't want to take the time to delete off topic or out of line comments so their hope is that if you have to put your name by it you won't make "dumb" comments.

Also how they are going to really verify who I am?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

they could force everyone to thand over a credit card number to verify identity. there are ways, however people who are anonymous tend to speak their truth more openly than those who are forced to share their identity. I persons true veiw points are often shared when their identity is no an issue.

Its like that liar in the white house, if he could share his true beliefs and his true opinions on certain matters with anonymitty, Most people would say he doesnt believe that. however since its anonymous he feels more comfortable sharing with others that he hates amerika.

in a way this is a good thing for the news as it will get rid of the trolls. however I feel people will be less inclined to share what they REALLY feel...

think about it, certain veiws on certain subjects, can have detrimental effects on not only your personal life but also your professional life as well... A football player for example showing extreme sympathy torwards someone who is gay or a gay issue in the news could have disasterous affects on his career.

When you remove anonymity, you remove the ability for most people to post honestly and truthfully.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Thread Information