Thread: SPCA of Erie County

SPCA of Erie County

nogods keeps mentioning how the SPCA kills all these animals. I don't know about other SPCAs but the one in Erie county is trying to do something about it. I remembered this story and decided to look it up.

Erie County SPCA gets $5 million "no kill" grant

The SPCA called our rescue group to save a dog who was deemed un-adoptable "as is." I fostered this dog that had issues. We worked on retraining him and he turned out to be a very smart and fun dog. He was adopted by a couple from Detroit.

While I was there filling out the paperwork to get him, I met several other people who were there as fosters.

The point I am trying to make is that the SPCA,at least our local SPCA, doesn't just go around killing it's dogs and cats the way nogoods would like us to believe. They work with rescues and local foster parents.

I know there are shelters out there that don't work with rescues and don't try to adopt out their dogs and cats. They have PTS days once a week and the conditions there are deplorable. nogoods should go after these places instead of painting the SPCA as such a horrible place.

My experiences with the SPCA of Erie County have always been positive. They have a beautiful, clean facility. I would be interested in hearing people's experiences with the SPCA.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald View Post
    nogods keeps mentioning how the SPCA kills all these animals. I don't know about other SPCAs but the one in Erie county is trying to do something about it. I remembered this story and decided to look it up.

Erie County SPCA gets $5 million "no kill" grant

The SPCA called our rescue group to save a dog who was deemed un-adoptable "as is." I fostered this dog that had issues. We worked on retraining him and he turned out to be a very smart and fun dog. He was adopted by a couple from Detroit.

While I was there filling out the paperwork to get him, I met several other people who were there as fosters.

The point I am trying to make is that the SPCA,at least our local SPCA, doesn't just go around killing it's dogs and cats the way nogoods would like us to believe. They work with rescues and local foster parents.

I know there are shelters out there that don't work with rescues and don't try to adopt out their dogs and cats. They have PTS days once a week and the conditions there are deplorable. nogoods should go after these places instead of painting the SPCA as such a horrible place.

My experiences with the SPCA of Erie County have always been positive. They have a beautiful, clean facility. I would be interested in hearing people's experiences with the SPCA.
    Our SPCA is one of the best run, most successful in the country,

Nogods I am convinced that he has some type of relationship with Hoskins
    otherwise he would not make such assinine statements. I feel for any dog ever owned by him.

All one has to do is look at the pictures and make their own conclusions

I remember when I was a kid and if you had to give up your animal, YOU NEVER GAVE IT TO THE SPCA.

If they were unable to place it after two weeks, they euthanized it.
    Kiss someone that's different. It helps.
    Lets get the facts first, then go for the jugular!!
    It's all transparent, just read between the lines..

Quote Originally Posted by PickOranges View Post
    I remember when I was a kid and if you had to give up your animal, YOU NEVER GAVE IT TO THE SPCA.

If they were unable to place it after two weeks, they euthanized it.
    Things have changed at the SPCA since you were a kid. Have you been there recently?
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald View Post
    Things have changed at the SPCA since you were a kid. Have you been there recently?
    That was the way they did things back then, but things have changed. I had a bad run in with the SPCA a long time ago,
    A cat was hit by a car in front of my house. Its head was run over but it didnt die. It kept walking in circles andcircles and up my driveway its head swelled up like a softball and it eyes were bugging out. It had frothy stuff coming out of its mouth.. horrible! I called the SPCA and it took them hours to come, finally they showed up and said if i didnt give them 50 bux they werent going to take the cat. I told them I didnt have 50 bux at that time I was broke and they drove away. I actually had to euthanize the cat myself...and I suppose if they found out about that I would have been charged with some bull**** animal cruelty. I went to the SPCA the next day and filed a formal complaint and supposedly the animal control officer was "reprimanded" for his poor judgement.
    I know things have changed since then (1994?) but that really made me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Save Us View Post
    Our SPCA is one of the best run, most successful in the country,

Nogods I am convinced that he has some type of relationship with Hoskins
    otherwise he would not make such assinine statements. I feel for any dog ever owned by him.

All one has to do is look at the pictures and make their own conclusions
    Maybe you should read the story:

The Erie County SPCA and its partners — public and private shelters countywide—have been awarded a $5 million grant that will be used to help pets and pet owners, making all shelters no-kill facilities within five years.

Here is how the SPCA is putting that into effect: They don't take strays and give-ups that are not likely to be adopted. Yep - that's the grand plan. That's like an orphanage saying "we are going to place every orphan we take in within 3 months" and then they only take in white infants in perfect health.

Great plan. Waste of $5 million. In the meantime the SPCA still kills 2 to 3 million dogs every year.

!

All true but you have to understand that the SPCA does put down cats and dogs weekly but they don't speak about this part of their job.

What I think the SPCA can do in this day and age is get a new Animal Control Bill to be passed focusing in on birth control of animals like cats and dogs. I am not talking about the owners but targeting the breeders giving the SPCA's the power to shut down those uncontrolled puppy farms and other uncontrolled breeders who go beyound the set amount of dogs or cats that can be bred within the set allotment allowed within the Bill. This is the only way to control rapid growth of animal population in terms of dogs and cats.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    All true but you have to understand that the SPCA does put down cats and dogs weekly but they don't speak about this part of their job.

What I think the SPCA can do in this day and age is get a new Animal Control Bill to be passed focusing in on birth control of animals like cats and dogs. I am not talking about the owners but targeting the breeders giving the SPCA's the power to shut down those uncontrolled puppy farms and other uncontrolled breeders who go beyound the set amount of dogs or cats that can be bred within the set allotment allowed within the Bill. This is the only way to control rapid growth of animal population in terms of dogs and cats.
    Until every dog has a home there should be no breeding allowed. People and their status symbols aren't dog lovers, they are narcissist. Want a dog - go get one from the SPCA or any other pound with homeless dogs. Want a status symbol - go buy an SUV..or a horse.

There wouldn't be an overpopulation problem if owners weren't so cheap or stupid to spay and neuter.

I am sure they just love killing cats and dogs

People are getting more and more stupid about breeding, too. Now -poo dogs are all the rage. People are idiotic enough to pay hundreds of dollars for a MUTT. Yes, dipships, a mixed breed dog is a mutt. I laughed in someone's face who told me they paid $450 for a cockapoo.
    If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

Thread Information