Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a question about the Arizona law

I have a question about the Arizona law

Suppose a police officer pulls over a guy, because the officer has reason to believe that he looks as is he may be illegal. Turns out the guy is legit - shows his ID, everything's cool.

BUT...the guy's carrying a little bit of weed, and the cop sees it. Or, maybe he's got a warrant out for an outstanding ticket. Or, he has unpaid child support...

Can the guy be arrested?

could be wrong but I am not sure the law provides for pulling over because they look illegal, there has to be another offense. But I admit I havent followed that closely

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Suppose a police officer pulls over a guy, because the officer has reason to believe that he looks as is he may be illegal. Turns out the guy is legit - shows his ID, everything's cool.

BUT...the guy's carrying a little bit of weed, and the cop sees it. Or, maybe he's got a warrant out for an outstanding ticket. Or, he has unpaid child support...

Can the guy be arrested?
    The law specifically states that the individual person has to be pulled over for an offense, not looking illegal. If you are speeding and get pulled over they will and always have asked for identification. If you provide a drivers license and there are no other issues you will be let go. If you can't provide identification and there are other factors, then they will have to inquire further into legal status.
    Here is the link to the law:
    http://www.azleg.gov/alispdfs/council/SB1070-HB2162.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by govtchecker View Post
    The law specifically states that the individual person has to be pulled over for an offense, not looking illegal. If you are speeding and get pulled over they will and always have asked for identification. If you provide a drivers license and there are no other issues you will be let go. If you can't provide identification and there are other factors, then they will have to inquire further into legal status.
    Here is the link to the law:
    http://www.azleg.gov/alispdfs/council/SB1070-HB2162.PDF
    Thanks.
    I started reading it - only got to page 2, where it says "any lawful, stop, detention, or arrest."

IMO, it's much better that they can't technically stop you for just looking Mexican. But...I would imagine there are gonna be some pretty Gung Ho cops, who will suddenly be looking for reasons to pull over brown people.
    And, we all know - that, on any given day, everyone of us does something illegal while driving.

I mentioned it in another thread before but someone said it was unnecessary: why don't we make AZ cops ask EVERYONE they pull over their citizenship? This would avoid any of the racial profiling nonsense that people seem to be concerned about.

If you ask everyone, they can't accuse anyone of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan2009 View Post
    I mentioned it in another thread before but someone said it was unnecessary: why don't we make AZ cops ask EVERYONE they pull over their citizenship? This would avoid any of the racial profiling nonsense that people seem to be concerned about.

If you ask everyone, they can't accuse anyone of racism.
    Because it's not the job of a local podunk police officer to determine whether, or not, someone is a citizen.

Tax cheats are rampant, too. Do you want the cop to ask your W2's and tax forms every time you're pulled over?

Because I will tell you to pound salt, I am not required to prove my citizenship while traveling within the United States. Even those Border Patrol checkpoints you hear so much about down south, lack the authority to force me to prove I am a U.S. Citizen

To answer Rising's question, SB1070 makes the immigration "violation" a secondary offense. Sorta like seat belts used to be in NYS and still are in some states. As a secondary offense, you could not effect a traffic stop based solely on a seat belt violation.

That said, most cops will tell you that if you follow a car long enough, they will commit some sort of traffic violation so I suppose there could be those zealots who would do anything to make that immigration stop.

b.b.

every government workers job

every government worker should be required to make sure you are a citizen before allowing you to use a tax payer provided service. driving a car should require a valid license from a citizen or a visitor with a proper visa. clinics traffic stops or any other government worker who provides a service or regulates one should check everyone for citizenship. that is why they all require photo IDs and birth certificates. AZ> law states they all should be checked not just Mexican looking people. and yes if the IRS has an Appearance warrant out for you the local police will have to arrest you for it thus they enforce tax laws.
    I also think businesses should check your IDs before hiring it only makes sense for them to make sure the backround meets their requirements. and if they do hire an illegal with or without checking they should be fined
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

how about appling for the license to drive photo Id and birth certifacte to prove citizenship once you have a valid license that says you are legal or a least it should
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob View Post
    how about appling for the license to drive photo Id and birth certifacte to prove citizenship once you have a valid license that says you are legal or a least it should
    It would only be a matter of time before they started being faked.

The main problem here is that this law will actually work. Many Democrats want "free voters" so they favor amnesty. They wll oppose any efforts to enforce immigration laws and remove illegal aliens.

They are willing to sell out national security in exchange for 12 million or so potential voters.

The main problem here is that this law will actually work. Many Democrats want "free voters" so they favor amnesty. They wll oppose any efforts to enforce immigration laws and remove illegal aliens.

They are willing to sell out national security in exchange for 12 million or so potential voters.
    Enough with the propaganda. President Obama is not offering illegals 'amnesty,' which is a blanket pardon:
    There are those in the immigrants’ rights community who have argued passionately that we should simply provide those who are [here] illegally with legal status. … I believe such an indiscriminate approach would be both unwise and unfair. … The 11 million who broke these laws should be held accountable. -- President Obama, 7-1-2010
    His current proposal may make them legal residents or give them work visas, but not the right to vote. That comes with citizenship, which they could apply for later. But first they would be required to "register, pay their taxes, pay a fine, and learn English."
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post

Can the guy be arrested?
    First, the cop can't pull over/stop ANYONE for "looking illegal". This is a "secondary offence law", meaning they can only ask for proof of citizenship if they are already involved with the police, whether it be a traffic stop or murder investigation...

If the cop sees the guy smoking POT, then he can ask for his “papers” as the left loves to call them.

Anyone who responds differently is WRONG.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
    Enough with the propaganda. President Obama is not offering illegals 'amnesty,' which is a blanket pardon:

His current proposal may make them legal residents or give them work visas, but not the right to vote. That comes with citizenship, which they could apply for later. But first they would be required to "register, pay their taxes, pay a fine, and learn English."
    But he is giving them a pass to the front of the line... ahead of those who have waited LEGALLY for years...
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
    But first they would be required to "register, pay their taxes, pay a fine, and learn English."
    This part is NOT going to happen, both you and I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information