Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness?

Political Correctness?

Do you feel that being political correct has any social values.
    Other than being a wimp and not wanting to offend any one I can see why some people like it. Other people like it because it stops ideas of being spoken that are counter to the liberal movement.

Lets say I was walking down Chippewa street late at night and was about to be mugged could I stop the assault by being political correct? I think I would have a better chance of avoiding a mugging if I was packing.

PC had led us to no dodgeball, no red ink for correcting kids papers, no picking teams in gym class, everyone gets a trophy, everyone makes the team, etc
    It is setting people up for failure because it's making everyone soft. Adversity is going to destroy the younger generations because they aren't facing any.
    Hell, you can't even say that men and women are different now a days with out losing your job (harvard president).

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    PC had led us to no dodgeball, no red ink for correcting kids papers, no picking teams in gym class, everyone gets a trophy, everyone makes the team, etc
    It is setting people up for failure because it's making everyone soft. Adversity is going to destroy the younger generations because they aren't facing any.
    Hell, you can't even say that men and women are different now a days with out losing your job (harvard president).
    first... dodgeball was stopped by lawsuits (though most teachers just changed the name and still play it), teachers still use red ink, gym classes still pick teams, not everyone gets a trophy and my brother got cut from the basketball team... i agree there are instances when common sense gets pushed aside and replaced by a faux "correctness," but that thar's a bit of a broad characterization. keep in mind, the whole "politically correct" idea was a knee-jerk reaction invented (in its modern usage) by conservatives to describe policies they found unfavorable and to construct the every popular and oft overused "straw man" defense.
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna
    Do you feel that being political correct has any social values.
    Other than being a wimp and not wanting to offend any one I can see why some people like it. Other people like it because it stops ideas of being spoken that are counter to the liberal movement.

Lets say I was walking down Chippewa street late at night and was about to be mugged could I stop the assault by being political correct? I think I would have a better chance of avoiding a mugging if I was packing.
    Huh?

What has political correctness have to do with preventing a mugging on Chippewa street?

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    first... dodgeball was stopped by lawsuits (though most teachers just changed the name and still play it), teachers still use red ink, gym classes still pick teams, not everyone gets a trophy and my brother got cut from the basketball team... i agree there are instances when common sense gets pushed aside and replaced by a faux "correctness," but that thar's a bit of a broad characterization. keep in mind, the whole "politically correct" idea was a knee-jerk reaction invented (in its modern usage) by conservatives to describe policies they found unfavorable and to construct the every popular and oft overused "straw man" defense.

PC has led to the things I mentioned, I didn't think I had to clarify that they actually still existed somewhere.

BTW, the "red ink" ban is so widespread that one of the HMIC's at OfficeMax was on National NPR explaining that sales of red ink pens/markers were affected.

Yeah, when somebody here's PC they immediately think of Conservatives and not whiney libs...

Unregistered

he who controls the speech ... controls the conversation

he who controls the speech ... controls the conversation

if you cant win an argument based on objective evidence then bully and intimidate by being a victim....in an attempt to silence people from voicing their opinion by labelling it hate.

The trail is proceeding for what is it Franklin, the Israeli on trial for spying on the US and releasing classified top secret information to Israel while working for the government....and of course there was a full page spread in the NYTimes explaining that he had a right and that questioning his rights is basically anti-semetic

or who can forget how the republicans and neoconservatives tried accusing everyone against the Iraq war as being anti-semetic because a pull out would threaten Israels national security....

and there are similar tactics by african americans who generously use the N-word but have a huge apoplectic fit of victimization if anyone else uses it

I wont even start on feminists whose professional, educational and personal careers are being advanced not just at the expense of boys in school and college and professions but with the blood of our male soldiers fighting while women 99% who dont serve are getting promoted.

and now the same victimization mentality is being projected from our illegal aliens who want open borders and amnesty since they are citizens of North America.

And of course the only argument holding this country together is the ability to freely discuss and debate ideas....which cannot happen if people on the left and right are editing and silencing the ideas and opinions people can discuss

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Huh?

What has political correctness have to do with preventing a mugging on Chippewa street?
    That is exactly my point. Political correctness is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lackawanna
    That is exactly my point. Political correctness is useless.
    That response makes exactly zero sense. Oh well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    and there are similar tactics by african americans who generously use the N-word but have a huge apoplectic fit of victimization if anyone else uses it
    Whites abused that power when they were lynching, enslaving and raping people while using that word...

Gotdam Liberals Takin Er Jobs!

Heres an excerpt of a NEW YORK STATE APPROVED COLLEGE BOOK

Im going to supply a picture of the book, the author and the page you can find the quote on.

That way if you want to you can look it up for yourself.

Criminological Theory

By Francis T. Cullen and Robert Agnew

QUOTE:

"Conservative commentators on public policy are fond of attributing crime in the inner cities to the faulty culture of community residents. "If youths only had good values, respected the law, dresssed the right way, and saw the value of schooling," so the argument goes, "they would stay out of trouble, get good jobs and achieve the American Dream."

Many criminologists reject such thinking not only because it is simplistic, but also because it conveniently ignores the harch lives that inner-city people face-from birth through adulthood. If culture is to blame, then there is no need to pay attention to the potential "root causes" of lawlessness-conditions such as poverty, inadequate health care, disrupted families, schools in shambles, and the depletion of economic opportunity as jobs move to the suburbs and to other nations. The focus on culture also masks the fact that many of these harsh conditions do not simply emerge naturally but are the result of political choices by elected officials who do little or nothing about them. In short, scholars see attributing crime to "bad culture" as dangerous because it obscures the role of "bad structures" in causing criminal behavior."

(Robert J Sampson and William Julius Wilson, chapter 8, page 102, copyright 2006 by Roxbury Publishing Company)

(Funky waits for Conservatives to complain about Liberal colleges destroying the country along with brainwashed professors) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    Whites abused that power when they were lynching, enslaving and raping people while using that word...
    I don't disagree with you.

But, I'd like to point out that, thanks to some white people, lynching and slavery in America is a thing of the past.

Frankly, I think all people are predjudice, to a certain degree. In order to solve a problem, you have to admit there is a problem. We will never have a productive dialogue on political correctness, racism, sexism, etc., until we all look in the mirror and admit that we all have predjudices.

The first amendment says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress shall make no law....

That doesn't mean we, as human beings, can't resolve to speak to each other with respect and dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by gshowell
    I don't disagree with you.

But, I'd like to point out that, thanks to some white people, lynching and slavery in America is a thing of the past.

Frankly, I think all people are predjudice, to a certain degree. In order to solve a problem, you have to admit there is a problem. We will never have a productive dialogue on political correctness, racism, sexism, etc., until we all look in the mirror and admit that we all have predjudices.

The first amendment says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress shall make no law....

That doesn't mean we, as human beings, can't resolve to speak to each other with respect and dignity.
    Im not saying all whites are racist.

The first thing America needs to do is get rid of this concept of race.

Because its only hurting us.

Once we realize that all people are human regardless of skin tone or body structure we will be much better off.

Unregistered

Dr Funky, I agree but to get rid of race...you cant have a culture based on race

Dr Funky, I agree but to get rid of race...you cant have a culture based on race

it also means that you shouldnt respond based on race either.

there are cultures based on religion
    there are cultures based on ethnicity
    there are cultures based on geographic location

but I do not think there are cultures based gender, race or sexual orientation regardless of what people think....though I do admit there is prejudice towards such people.

I happen to agree with Obama (the african american who isnt even black enough for the black community)....who said it undermines the validity of our point to label every problem a black problem.

we can fix inner cities and in doing some areas with the highest proportion of african americans without labelling it a black problem. If we solve the problem for everyone...then we solve the problem for the majority of dis-enfranchised african americans...

fear, name calling, prejudice, assault, murder, etc..its not a one way street in todays world....blacks can be victims of whites....and whites can be victims of blacks....just as there is black on black and white on white crime too!

I will say it again....rap is the cancer of the african american community and frankly so is the public school system as far as Im concerned and so is municipal housing. I think everyone would be better off with Section 8 Rental Vouchers and school vouchers and school choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    Im not saying all whites are racist.

The first thing America needs to do is get rid of this concept of race.

Because its only hurting us.

Once we realize that all people are human regardless of skin tone or body structure we will be much better off.

I apologize if you got the impression I said, you said all whites are racist.

We are all human.

Humans may never be able to get rid of the concept of race. It's not the concept, it's how we deal with it. In my opinion, how we currently deal with race is hurting us. It's self-inflicted, divide and conquer distruction. We don't need foreign enemies. We are destroying ourselves.

Nowhere in the Constitution will you find the right not to be offended.
    I made a lot of money and spent most of it on booze, fast cars and loose women. I blew the rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information