Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Town of Lancaster 2021 primary / election updates / comments

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Hopefully, Dan Amatura will get the Conservative write-in win in the June primary. He is the most qualified.
    https://www.superintendentsprofile.c...ile.php?id=314
    Hi gorja,

I agree with you on this one, but for goodness sakes when is Danny going to retire? Sometimes, it is good to have a fresh set of eyes. No pun intended. Danny has done a good job. But I do think he will not get the Conservative endorsement. But most likely he'll get the write in.

"An old hand" with a lot of experience seems to me to be the answer even more so in challenging times, just saying, especially with all the uncertainties with municipal finances due to the Covid crisis, weather calamities like the storm that dumped what, 5 feet of snow in Lancaster, or even down to the equipment knowledge and work-around plans for the unexpected. I'd say a stable steady path is a better bet for the Highway Superintendent. Having someone in this important position who clearly knows the department is so much better than having such a newbie.

Hopefully, Dan Amatura will get the Conservative write-in win in the June primary. He is the most qualified.
    https://www.superintendentsprofile.c...ile.php?id=314
    I agree that Amatura has done a commendable job since becoming Highway Superintendent. He has proven to be more than qualified for re-election.

However, we have yet to hear anything about Pilato's qualifications.

But, as a recent registered conservative have you questioned or have any information as to why Amatura interviewed with the conservative party and did not receive its endorsement?

Breezy writes that Amatura is 'beloved' and doesn't need the conservative party endorsement to be re-elected. Yet, at the 11th hour Amatura changed his party registration from Democrat to Conservative. The Democrats have been doing that in the past year to make them eligible to primary the endorsed conservative candidate.

As a registered conservative, you post that you hope he wins the conservative endorsement as a write-in. Did Amatura change party affiliation to simply enhance a write-in challenge opportunity or to be able to primary the endorsed conservative candidate? Will he still be endorsed by the Democratic Party?

Ah, the intrigue of politics. Do you really know who you are voting for? Breezy will be there to guide the 'unhinged' wackos!

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    "
    As a registered conservative, you post that you hope he wins the conservative endorsement as a write-in. Did Amatura change party affiliation to simply enhance a write-in challenge opportunity or to be able to primary the endorsed conservative candidate? Will he still be endorsed by the Democratic Party?"

I have no idea why he changed party affiliations. I know the conservative chair feels he should not have oversight of the park's departnent along with the stipend. I believe Mr Amatura validated the reasons that he should have that oversight last year when questioned by Councilman Leary. Whether he will be endorsed by the Democratic party, you'd know better than me.

Sorry, unlike you Lee, I don't have conversations or share emails with anyone involved in either party.

As you say? I, too vote for the person that I feel is the most qualified for the elected office. I don't care what party they are registered in or what party endorsed them.

Yeah Breezy, with all the pressure on the budget, Danny Boy has found a way to pay himself an extra 5280$ and 5783$ of tax payers dollars as a stipends. And Gorja is it ok with you that Christen McCracken,former Lancaster Democrat Committee member and wife of Dem bigwig Terry, is now along with Danny Boy, a BRAND NEW CONSERVATIVE PARTY member
    Frank Lee Speaking....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lee Blunt View Post
    Yeah Breezy, with all the pressure on the budget, Danny Boy has found a way to pay himself an extra 5280$ and 5783$ of tax payers dollars as a stipends. And Gorja is it ok with you that Christen McCracken,former Lancaster Democrat Committee member and wife of Dem bigwig Terry, is now along with Danny Boy, a BRAND NEW CONSERVATIVE PARTY member
    Really, with her Conservative values, I thought Kristin McCracken was previously a registered Conservative. Guess I thought wrong. Glad she's in the party that matches her values.

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    "
    As a registered conservative, you post that you hope he wins the conservative endorsement as a write-in. Did Amatura change party affiliation to simply enhance a write-in challenge opportunity or to be able to primary the endorsed conservative candidate? Will he still be endorsed by the Democratic Party?"

I have no idea why he changed party affiliations. I know the conservative chair feels he should not have oversight of the park's departnent along with the stipend. I believe Mr Amatura validated the reasons that he should have that oversight last year when questioned by Councilman Leary. Whether he will be endorsed by the Democratic party, you'd know better than me.

Sorry, unlike you Lee, I don't have conversations or share emails with anyone involved in either party.

As you say? I, too vote for the person that I feel is the most qualified for the elected office. I don't care what party they are registered in or what party endorsed them.
    If you don’t have conversations / share emails with anyone how do you know the conservative chair feels Amatura should not have oversight of the Parks, Rec, Department or get a stipend. I never heard that. Councilman Leary brought that up as a counter to the Supervisor Ruffino’s attempt to strip the Town Clerk of her stipends. So far, all we have heard on that matter is crickets.

I agree 100% on voting for the most qualified candidate - regardless of his or her party affiliation!

In another post you wrote: Question - I thought in this country that residents had a right to choose which political party they would like to register with, don't they?

Indeed they do, if it is for an altruistic reason, not a self-serving act. Politicos seeking office this year are registering in other political parties to be eligible to primary another party’s endorsed candidate.

There is a bill that has been approved by the NYS Legislature (S4381), sitting on the Governor’s desk awaiting his signature, that would disallow petition to primary for 2021. What I take this to mean is that an individual may only be eligible to primary another party’s endorsed candidate if he or she is a registered voter of said party.

https://www.nysenate.gov//legislation/bills/2021/S4381

The Republican and Democratic Parties have yet to formally announce their endorsed candidates. It is likely that the following individuals will be endorsed by the Democrats: Amatura for Highway Superintendent, Wozniak and McCracken for council. All were Democrats and have registered within the year as Conservatives. None have been endorsed by the Conservative Party. One has to question whether all three have changed party registration for altruistic reasons or for self-serving line-stealing, vote-getting reasons.

Will the Republicans and Conservatives be playing the same game? We shall see.

Everything is fair in war and politics. Ethics be damned!

Lee, you again see through the fog of war. Meanwhile the voters swim in the muddied waters of information they need to make a sound elective decision. Is that the way the system should run?
    Frank Lee Speaking....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lee Blunt View Post
    Meanwhile the voters swim in the muddied waters of information they need to make a sound elective decision. Is that the way the system should run?
    Just my opinion, but I think that a necessary pre-requisite for a voter to become truly informed is to have the self-control to objectively harmonize its own support for, and opposition to, a candidate with its own intellectual honesty.

In that regard, my own matured political philosophy is to beware of the Machiavellian axiom "The end justifies the means."

With such a standard(s), the voter should then let its own "Conscience be your guide," and do so without serious consideration to slick packaging and shaded sentences.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 22nd, 2021 at 04:07 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Know who you will be really voting for in the primary

The Lancaster Republican Party held a general committee meeting this week to interview candidates petitioning to receive party endorsement for Highway Superintendent, 2 council seats, and Town Justice. I was surprised to hear that several of the applicants were democrats turned conservatives within the past year, as recently as the past month, and applying for Republican Party endorsement.

I would have to believe that longtime democrats turned conservatives who did so to be able to challenge endorsed conservatives would not have any chance of getting the Republican Party endorsement – especially since party linchpin Ralph Mohr took umbrage to the party’s endorsing a democrat for Town Clerk last year. Mohr ran and mentored an opposing Republican.

What will be interesting this primary is to watch who will primarying party endorsed candidates. Not hearing yet of formally endorsed Republican or Democratic Party candidates, nothing to note there.

Considering councilmember Wozniak was endorsed by the Democratic Party (DP) last year, switched registration to Conservative Party (CP) to primary the endorsed (CP) candidate and won, he will likely primary the endorsed CP candidates for council again this year. Kristen McCracken and Dan Amatura have switched party registrations this past year (DP TO CP) as well making them eligible to primary endorsed CP candidates.

One must question whether Wozniak, McCracken and Amatura will be endorsed by the Democratic Party this year. If so, what will voters be thinking when making their candidate voting choice? What will influence their decision-making process:

• Party affiliation
    • Party values / ideology
    • Integrity – candidate seeking endorsements on multiple party lines
    • Candidate qualifications / experience

As a lifelong ‘blank’, candidate qualifications, agenda favoring town best interests, and integrity hold equal priorities in the decision-making process. As a ‘blank’, I cannot vote in a primary, but the primary outcome could well impact my candidate not being on the election ballot.

As stated numerous times in the past, I abhor casting a vote on either Republican or Democratic lines, looking rather to voting on a minor party line. The Independence Party line is no more, leaving but the Conservative Party line.

With the games being played this year to get votes, the Conservative Party will be targeted to that end. Conservative ideology / values / integrity should be upheld.

If one is posited to vote on any line this year, be sure you know who you are voting for – that they share the same values as you.

Just my opinion, as far as I'm concerned anyone who votes just by party line and not by candidate is an idiot.

Georgia L Schlager

Convoluted process, indeed

Today’s Buffalo News reported that retired Buffalo Detective John C. Garcia will challenge endorsed Republican Karen Healy-Case in the June primary. Garcia recently changed party affiliation from conservative to republican because he did not receive the Conservative Party endorsement for County Sheriff. Karen Healy-Case did.

Garcia said he was not the endorsed Republican candidate but will let the Republican voters decide who is the best candidate. He respects the process.

Garcia also said he will ask Erie County Conservative Chairman Ralph C. Lorigo to reconsider after his party also backed Healy-Case earlier this month.

“I will reach out to the Conservative Party chairman and respectfully request he allow me to run a primary on the Conservative side,” he said.
    Lorigo rejected Garcia’s request, and criticized him for recently joining the GOP, seeking its endorsement, and then running against it.

“If you want to be part of a political machine you need to work within the framework of that political machine,” he said. “This is the exact opposite.”

Erie County Democratic Party Chair Jeremy Zellner noted the possibility for myriad candidates and reiterated his disapproval of the “fusion voting” process that allows major party contenders to run on minor party ballot lines.

Zellner’s Republican counterpart, Karl J. Simmeth Jr. spoke on an apparent “anti-team” theme aimed at Garcia. “Sure I’m concerned about that, but sometimes a person’s ambition gets in the way of the team,” he said.

Comment

Like Garcia, political party candidates well understand they cannot win an election without a major party endorsement. Lancaster political candidates have come to realize the importance of getting the Conservative Party endorsement.

Because the NYS Legislature adopted bill S4381, candidates cannot petition to primary another party’s endorsed candidate unless they are a registered member of said party. Garcia switched political parties and is not eligible to primary Healy-Case for the Conservative line endorsement.

In Lancaster, candidates have been changing party affiliations to gain votes – three democrats in the past year from Democrat to Conservative. Republicans and Conservatives share like values and ideology. Democrats and Conservatives or Republicans, not so much.

Breezy declared Amatura is beloved by the town and doesn’t need the conservative line endorsement. Yet Amatura changed his party registration from Democrat to Conservative and interviewed the other night for the Republican Party’s endorsement as well.

Picking the most qualified candidate this year will become more difficult when factoring in integrity / character / party values.

In announcing first, the Conservative Party well understands its candidates cannot win an election without candidates getting major party endorsements. The Conservative Party also well understands its importance for major party candidates to get its endorsements. In announcing first, the Conservative Party has made it known its endorsed candidates were interviewed by committee, vetted, and endorsed based on sharing like values and ideology / polices.

There will be primaries. Do you really know the person you will be voting for in this year’s primary?

The drama has just begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Breezy declared Amatura is beloved by the town and doesn’t need the conservative line endorsement.
    Need for another quick correction of Lee Chowaniec: My comment involved the Democratic Party, and it was a quip, noting that the man is well-regarded, It was in response to Mr. Frank Lee Blunt inferring that the highway superintendent is vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    He's so beloved that he doesn't even need the Democratic line, heck, he could win a write-in in November, gorja!
    Lee sounds legit through his writing, but pull back the curtain, readers, and he's not as sharp as he thinks.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Need for another quick correction of Lee Chowaniec: My comment involved the Democratic Party, and it was a quip, noting that the man is well-regarded, It was in response to Mr. Frank Lee Blunt inferring that the highway superintendent is vulnerable.
    Doesn't this site have an emoji to designate a "quip?"

No wonder that Numbnut could not convey that intention.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 25th, 2021 at 07:42 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

I assure you Lee, when the proper time comes the posers in the Conservative Party ARE going to be called out. If you think that sham Republican endorsement show was raucous, wait till the lying Democrats newbies get a letter painted on their chests at the proper time. Danny boy, Christen, all of you are in for an awakening.More voices than you think have come to join in the fight against you. Exspect no decorum, none is earned. Spotlight is on now and going to be turned up hot.
    Frank Lee Speaking....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information