Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cansdale Cabal and the "Integrity" Party

The Cansdale Cabal and the "Integrity" Party

In 1989 Bill Cansdale was elected to the Village of Lancaster Board as a trustee. Then, in 1993, he ran for Mayor against Arthur Posluszny, and won. The major issue during that time was an early potential merger of the town and village police departments. Cansdale won his election on the premise that he would not do so. 10 years later however, Bill Cansdale changes his mind, and heads up the merger between the police departments. He is 100% involved in that negotiation and signing of the contract.

9 Years after that, Bill Cansdale steps down near the end of his 5th term, serving 19 years as mayor. He and the board (his cohorts) promote the unaccomplished, unqualified, and impressionable Paul Maute to finish his term. Immediately, Cansdale is then rewarded, by same people he helped get elected (ie Paul Maute and company) the recently vacated Superintendent of Public Works position. A posh job that pays, at that time, starting at $70,000 a year. The contract was written by Cansdale himself. This contract was so extravagant, that when Dawn Robinson the newly appointed trustee read it, she went back to the board to alert them of the contents of that contract. It was realized that not one board member was recorded reading the contract. It was rewritten, and the job was then officially awarded. It is now 2021, do the math. Bill Cansdale has been payed in village tax dollars, a minimum $630,000, by my estimation. This does not included his near five terms as mayor, and one as trustee.

During this entire time, Bill has gotten friends, family, and relatives jobs within the village. His son has a job at the Erie County Water Authority. His brother-in-law was eventually appointed chief of police. His political influence in the village stretches far and wide. At this point in time, Cansdale is currently running a political party out of the DPW. The CANSDALE CABAL must come to an end.

Stay tuned. More to follow. I will be exposing the entire Cansdale Family Tree, how it stretches into the Giza Mafia at the town level, and all of it's underhanded connections. Want to know Cansdale's nefarious future goals? Get ready, names will be named and I will not hold back.

I'm just being me, Frank Lee Blunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lee Blunt View Post

Stay tuned. More to follow. I will be exposing the entire Cansdale Family Tree, how it stretches into the Giza Mafia at the town level, and all of it's underhanded connections. Want to know Cansdale's nefarious future goals? Get ready, names will be named and I will not hold back.
    Intriguing to say the least.

From your vantage point, how valid are my concerns that town political players, including actors of the non-village resident variety, are attempting to extend hegemonic control over both the Villages of Lancaster and Depew?
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Mark as I see it the Ruffino, Cansdale,Gisa and more to be named , are presently and have been for a very long time robbing the citizens of the Town and Village of Lancaster of real representation. This group is just the tip of the iceberg that continues to feed at the public trough and spread tax dollars to their families and friends. I will be exposing the the entire tree of connections the Cansdale Cabal has built between the town and village elected officials. This insidious Group has operated in plain site without any real check to slow it down. This Group, all to be named,are well known residence who has abused their positions to enrich their own family and cohorts at the expense of hard working taxpayers.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    This group is just the tip of the iceberg that continues to feed at the public trough and spread tax dollars to their families and friends.
    But isn't this what is well known as the "friends and family" plan? We hear about it in Cheektowaga, Lancaster along with the rest of the towns. Why would Lancaster be any different?

indeed you are correct! Presently Lancaster may be the worst of the group! Left unchecked Ruffino and Cansdale will continue to abuse their positions and feather their own beds. A side note: Interesting to me is how both the Supervisor of the Village DPW and the Superintendent of Public Works for the Town of Lancaster have used their positions to try to influence paid employees to vote for their candidates. Reports are coming to me daily now about such pressure from both the Town and Village blue collar workers. More to follow

Information is starting to come to me quickly now, as it seems there are many employees of the town and village who have had enough of the work environment pressure to support a certain party and its candidate! This is exactly why longevity in a public office many times corrupts. And it is even more so when one Party can run a municipality without the proper oversight. This is where both communities find themselves today. Stay tuned, your name and history may be showing up soon on my posts

Mark as I see it the Ruffino, Cansdale,Gisa and more to be named , are presently and have been for a very long time robbing the citizens of the Town and Village of Lancaster of real representation. This group is just the tip of the iceberg that continues to feed at the public trough and spread tax dollars to their families and friends. I will be exposing the the entire tree of connections the Cansdale Cabal has built between the town and village elected officials.
    I have been deeply troubled about the motives and the possible unspoken agendas of the actors involved in the creation of the so-called "Integrity Party."

If the widely-circulated public narrative is correct, and to date, I have not read of any refutation of the same, its creation was perhaps the most audacious attempt ever by town politicos to seize control of, or at the very least, to hold excessive influence over, the village government.

In my opinion, historically, village politics can be likened to the proverbial "nest of snakes;" a intertwined venomous mass of power holders and political players who exercise control over lesser political actors, greedy self-interest personages, stalwarts in search of patronage, social and political climbers, political refugees in search of any old port, and those who simply enjoy the assertions of raw politics. The net result of that toxic mixture has been for the most part stagnated and rather inept governance.

IMHO, the Cansdale appointment as Public Works Superintendent is perhaps the most vivid example of what concerns me most about village politics.

Just my opinion, but the creation of this so-called "Integrity Party," which I understand is composed of some of the legacy village actors, town Democrats perhaps at the highest level, some "Rogue Republicans," or combinations thereof, and just some plain old self-serving social and power climbers, risks a village transition from an independent subdivision governed by a cliquish elite, to a suppliant satellite in the strict orbit of the town's political bosses.

In short, an amplified "Cluster Thingy" perhaps at the expense of good governance and taxpayer dollars.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 28th, 2021 at 03:05 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Mark you have an acute sense of the current political atmosphere in both the town and village of Lancaster. Both of these municipalities ..have been co-opted by people who have no restrains to stop their pillage of tax dollars for themselves and their families. Most residents are not aware of what really goes on right in front of their eyes with elected officials. But enough is enough. Shining a "Light of Truth" on those that have lost their way and stop serving the public is what all who are concerned must do

Most residents are not aware of what really goes on right in front of their eyes with elected officials.
    JUST MY OPINION:

Many people do not question the machinations of their elected officials out of a sense of melancholy resignation. Others may fear some sort of pressure to remain silent. But all share a lack of full information resulting from a press which seemingly engages their duties with a lack of journalistic curiosity.

When speaking of their public acts, some of our public officials appear to present themselves with profound clumsiness. In cases were the clumsiness is resultant of a given newspaper interview or press release, should it not be the role of an unbiased press to follow-up the comment with further questions, or otherwise call attention to such behavior, especially when it involves a matter of self-enrichment?

Indeed, while striving to gracefully defend some of their more "curious" acts, in their public comments, many of our officials do appear awkward in theme and cloddish in presentation. These comments from former Mayor Cansdale made in connection with his appointment as Public Works Superintendent, in my opinion, serve as such an illustration:

"After 20 years, the rigors of balancing the job of mayor and his full-time work at NYSEG finally led Cansdale to seek the superintendency at the DPW. Cansdale told the board earlier this year that he would not seek re-election as mayor in 2013. Though he had a lot of latitude at his job with NYSEG, Cansdale felt he didn’t have enough time on his hands to fulfill his mayoral duties."
    Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...village-mayor/

For Heaven's sake, why does it appear that the reporter did not follow-up on that comment?

Cansdale was honored by the votes of Village residents six times I believe. He served in the capacity of Mayor for nearly twenty years. Therefore, in my opinion, the former Mayor's explanation was not entirely convincing.

Am I to understand that it took Mayor Cansdale 20 years to realize that his job with NYSEG did not permit him to give his mayoral duties his "full" attention?

Or, am I to understand that the mayor suggested that he knowingly did not give his full attention to his mayoral duties throughout his tenure?

Therefore, where was the journalistic curiosity, because the reader may have been left with the impression that it either took Cansdale 20 years to recognize the burdens and duties of the office, or he was one who did not completely level with his constituents throughout his reign?

"Democracy Dies In The Darkness," indeed!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 28th, 2021 at 05:21 PM.

For those unable to access the online Lancaster Bee story of September 27, 2012, here is the full article:

Cansdale resigns as village mayor

September 27, 2012

by MIKE MIGLIORE Reporter

William G. Cansdale Jr., the Village of Lancaster’s mayor since 1993, resigned his position on Monday night to become the village’s superintendent of public works.

The board appointed Deputy Mayor Paul Maute as the new mayor, effective Oct. 1.

Cansdale announced his resignation at the end of Monday’s board meeting, which he said drew the largest turnout in his 20 years as mayor — the result of the skateboarding issue.

After announcing his resignation and turning in a handwritten letter, Cansdale spoke of his love for the job of mayor.

“I have loved serving this community for the last 20 years,” Cansdale said. “There hasn’t been a day that’s gone by that I took this for granted or didn’t appreciate the trust that this community placed in me to lead the residents. I’m humbled to have been in this position for so long.”

The DPW superintendent post is a full-time position, and Cansdale will earn $70,000 annually with the job. He will succeed recently retired Superintendent Richard Bulman. Cansdale scored the highest among candidates who took the civil service exam for the open position.

Cansdale has spent the last 35 years working at New York State Electric & Gas. He will retire from NYSEG in order to take the full-time job leading the DPW.

After 20 years, the rigors of balancing the job of mayor and his full-time work at NYSEG finally led Cansdale to seek the superintendency at the DPW. Cansdale told the board earlier this year that he would not seek re-election as mayor in 2013. Though he had a lot of latitude at his job with NYSEG, Cansdale felt he didn’t have enough time on his hands to fulfill his mayoral duties.

“One of my frustrations has been the demands of the office,” Cansdale said. “It didn’t allow me the time to address all the needs of the village on a daily basis.”

Though Cansdale was feeling some frustrations, his sudden departure as mayor was a bit of a surprise, even to him. His official resignation and appointment as the DPW superintendent was not on the agenda for Monday’s meeting as legal issues made Cansdale uncertain he would be able to officially announce his resignation on Monday.

“It was uncertain right until the gavel went down whether or not we would go through with this [on Monday],” Cansdale said. “We had a lot of discussions about filling Paul’s seat and the legal issues with the election next March. We wanted to be certain we knew everything about the election law before we made a motion to step down.”

Maute, who has served on the Village Board since 1998, will fill in as mayor until the end of Cansdale’s term in March. Cansdale said a trustee will be appointed to fill Maute’s position as deputy mayor next month. Maute said he’s excited to take on the challenge and get right to work as mayor.

“I think this village will continue to run the same way,” Maute said.Mayor Cansdale is not going away. He’s a friend of mine, and he’s assured me that any struggles I have I can go to him with. Are they big shoes to fill? Yes they are, but I can handle it, and we’re going to handle it as a team.”

Maute and the other trustees gave Cansdale a standing ovation after he turned in his letter of resignation. Trustee Edward Marki spoke about the things he learned working beside Cansdale.

“He taught me a lot about how to act and behave as a leader,” Marki said. “I’m excited for him.”

Cansdale said he will continue to work for NYSEG until Oct. 1 and will help out Maute as he makes his transition into Cansdale’s old seat. Cansdale is looking forward to what’s next for him.

“I always wondered how my tenure would end,” Cansdale said. “I’ll miss being mayor, but I’m excited to take on a new position. We have a great DPW with great individuals.”

email: mmigliore@beenews.com
    Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...village-mayor/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 28th, 2021 at 05:44 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    indeed you are correct! Presently Lancaster may be the worst of the group! Left unchecked Ruffino and Cansdale will continue to abuse their positions and feather their own beds. A side note: Interesting to me is how both the Supervisor of the Village DPW and the Superintendent of Public Works for the Town of Lancaster have used their positions to try to influence paid employees to vote for their candidates. Reports are coming to me daily now about such pressure from both the Town and Village blue collar workers. More to follow
    This is why I think it's totally wrong to have any party officer in any supervisory position in any town.

If you look at Cheektowaga you'll see our very own Town Supervisor Diane is a Party Vice Chair. In my book it's a conflict if interest when making decision to run our town.

ECDC Vice-Chair Diane Benczkowski

Are people hired on their party affiliation or by their qualifications? If you had someone who collected petitions apply for a job and someone who was otherwise far more qualified apply for the job but not democrat who might be hired? See what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

Are people hired on their party affiliation or by their qualifications?
    A valid question Res. so again just some questions that I have, based strictly on and understandings and opinions..

The September 27, 2012 Lancaster Bee article posted above raises many profound questions relevant to both the past, the present, and the future.

To wit:

(1) Relevant to the time period of 2012-2017, this comment is very curious:

“I think this village will continue to run the same way,” Maute said. “Mayor Cansdale is not going away. He’s a friend of mine, and he’s assured me that any struggles I have I can go to him with. Are they big shoes to fill? Yes they are, but I can handle it, and we’re going to handle it as a team.”
    Does not current this comment of current Trustee and 2021 Integrity Party candidate for re-election as Trustee Maute, at the time Mayor-To-Be, "we’re going to handle it as a team.” suggest that while Cansdale found it necessary to resign as mayor for reasons of time constraints necessitated by the demands of private sector employment, the former may have found it acceptable to depart from his duties as the full time Public Works Superintendent to function in some capacity as Mayor?

Moreover, why was something which some might term as a "co-mayoralty" necessary if Maute himself was qualified for the job?

If Maute was not qualified, why was he appointed in the first place?

Is it not reasonable to ask did Maute get the position because, "He's (Cansdale) a friend of mine," or perhaps Maute was in some way a loyal Cansdale operative?

Of perhaps 2021 relevance, perhaps Mayor Bill Schroeder, after some rather mundane, dutiful service as a Trustee, sought the Mayoralty four years ago with the inspiring intention of being an independent actor as Mayor, and during his time in office, has fully stepped out of constraining shadows, rejected the demands of a presumed political boss(s), and has since both matured as a public servant and governed in such a way as to honor his own independence in the interests of full service to the village that he leads?

Just my opinion, but did not Mayor Schroeder handle the Covid crisis with skill, full deliberation and care, especially when contrasted with the public laments and harsh admonishments of the Lancaster Supervisor?

(2) Also, did not the article address former Mayor Cansdale's concern for time considerations; the primary, publicly stated reason for his resignation as Mayor and his acceptance of the Public Work's position?

In fact, did not Cansdale resign the mayoralty because his job with NYSEG did not afford him ample time to fully serve the village which he led?

Therefore, if taken at face value, do not former Mayor Cansdale's own 2012 publicly articulated standards, seem to raise significant concerns in some minds, regarding Ruda's ability to fully and effectively discharge the duties of Mayor?

Is it not valid to ask how can candidate Ruda, a classroom teacher in a public school , possibly guarantee the voters that she will be fully capable of attending to any emergency which may occur during the course of an instructional day?

Is it not true that class teachers simply can not leave their students unattended, no matter how briefly, until a suitable personage is available to relieve the teacher?

Indeed, those are just some questions raised by a 2012 newspaper story which had relevance way back when, and may have relevance in the 2021 campaign for VOL Mayor and VOL Trustee, and beyond, extending into the remaining and post Covid eras.

Just my opinion, but does the reader think that the foregoing concerns is perhaps why Ruda has prioritized environmental issues; issues while important, do not require an engagement with urgent dispatch?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 28th, 2021 at 07:16 PM.

Mark as I see it the Ruffino, Cansdale,Gisa and more to be named , are presently and have been for a very long time robbing the citizens of the Town and Village of Lancaster of real representation. This group is just the tip of the iceberg that continues to feed at the public trough and spread tax dollars to their families and friends. I will be exposing the the entire tree of connections the Cansdale Cabal has built between the town and village elected officials. This insidious Group has operated in plain site without any real check to slow it down. This Group, all to be named,are well known residence who has abused their positions to enrich their own family and cohorts at the expense of hard working taxpayers.
    What about the Sojka Cabal?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    This is why I think it's totally wrong to have any party officer in any supervisory position in any town.

If you look at Cheektowaga you'll see our very own Town Supervisor Diane is a Party Vice Chair. In my book it's a conflict if interest when making decision to run our town.

ECDC Vice-Chair Diane Benczkowski

Are people hired on their party affiliation or by their qualifications? If you had someone who collected petitions apply for a job and someone who was otherwise far more qualified apply for the job but not democrat who might be hired? See what I mean?
    THERE YOU GO AGAIN!

On one page you crow about losing Second Amendment Rights, opposing "Cancel Cultural" in public discourse, and telling people to read opposing points of view.

Yet, on this page, you try to take away the First Amendment Right of Diane Benczkowski in her Right to serve on a political committee, thereby falling into the same cancel cultural you decry, and always against ECDC when all political parties have officials who also serve as elected officials.

Diane will Stand Tall despite your barbs here.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Of perhaps 2021 relevance,
    Is your angst the same with the current crop of Lancaster Town GOP officials? How about the Town GOP Chairman Greg Sojka ????? Is it OK with you Mark Blazejewski, putting it bluntly of course, that shortly after Sojka is installed as chairman, like magic, the son is appointed to a board position in the town government, and now, is a Village candidate on the slate that you apparently want to assist with your attacks here today????

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information