Thread: Tell us how you feel??!!

Tell us how you feel??!!

Buffalo News, Saturday, June 26, 2010, Quote:

Tell us how you feel

Amherst Supervisor Barry Weinstein thinks town officials could use a little coaching on how to deal with unhappy members of the public.

So he’s invited Amherst psychologist John Northman to Monday’s work session to speak about “Communicating with Distressed Constituents.”

Weinstein said he thought the topic would interest both council members and department heads.

But at least one board colleague was unimpressed to find this Dale Carnegielike session on an agenda typically reserved for policy discussions such as downsizing.

“A psychologist?? Are you kidding me???” Council Member Mark Manna wrote in an e-mail. “Barry really wants to ‘shrink’ the board.”
    Written by Stephen T. Watson with contributions from Dan Herbeck and Sandra Tan.offmain@buffnews.com--

Supervisor Weinstein would be well-advised to have his board members focus on actually caring about voter concern rather than being taught how to pretend that they do.
    Last edited by Trajan; June 28th, 2010 at 08:40 AM.

Well what can we expect from such a "selfless" person as weinstein?
    Check out this editorial from the SNOOZE.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/2...h-funding.html

Try not to hurl.

Quote Originally Posted by Add It Up View Post
    Check out this editorial from the SNOOZE.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/2...h-funding.html

Try not to hurl.
    Can't find a place to spend 4 million in Amherst??!! Weinstein "selfless"??!!
    Pardon the cynicism, but these pronouncements stretch credulity.

Concerns and observations from another blogger:
    "Since when does the Town Supervisor have the power to make this decision on his own. Isn’t this a Town Board decision? I don’t recall this being discussed and voted on at any public meeting.

Is this the process now for finding developer applicants to get Federal money through the Town of Amherst? You ask a buddy if they know someone who needs the cash? Also, if this was a good idea and would benefit Amherst, why weren’t we allowed to have a say in who actually gets the money, not just EC or Buffalo."

The TV news posting of this issue showed one manufacturing business benefiting from these $$$, whereas the balance went to a building conversion process to apartments and a mixed use building in Kenmore. Most of these $$$ seemed to go to the same developers that have been prominent in the news for some time.
    Now why could these $$$ not be used to rehabilitate areas that need to be in the Eggertsville/Snyder area or others in the Town (even infrastructure improvements)?
    I agree on where was the balance of the TB on this massive give away?

Quote Originally Posted by forreason View Post
    The TV news posting of this issue showed one manufacturing business benefiting from these $$$, whereas the balance went to a building conversion process to apartments and a mixed use building in Kenmore. Most of these $$$ seemed to go to the same developers that have been prominent in the news for some time.
    Now why could these $$$ not be used to rehabilitate areas that need to be in the Eggertsville/Snyder area or others in the Town (even infrastructure improvements)?
    I agree on where was the balance of the TB on this massive give away?
    It will be fun to see if the Board has the stones to adopt a resolution asking for an opinion from the town attorney on the legality of the supervisor unilaterally giving away town assets to "sex sigma". If nothing else the voters have learned once and for all that Weinstein still views himself as a county representative and not a representative of this town. We'll have to be vigilant to watch more carefully as he tries to further dismantle the town and give it to "sex sigma".

Weinstein couldn't care less about Amherst. If he did, he could have found plenty of uses for that money. He is all about metro government and that is where we are headed with him at the helm. That is his objective with all the departments. Not saying some of it isn't a good idea (combining youth and rec.) but I think reducing services is his objective for as many departments as he can manage. He would love to have the county handle everything, regardless of the impact on services. And anyone who has dealt with the county knows many of their services are a bureaucratic nightmare and a mess. People should think long and hard before jumping aboard this train.

And, don't forget, boys and girls, Weinstein has told a number of people that when he is not re-elected, he will be leaving town permanently - for Florida. I think that sums up his commitment in a nutshell. Amherst is not a community he plans to stay in. So, why should he care?

Quote Originally Posted by left wing View Post
    Weinstein couldn't care less about Amherst. If he did, he could have found plenty of uses for that money. He is all about metro government and that is where we are headed with him at the helm. That is his objective with all the departments. Not saying some of it isn't a good idea (combining youth and rec.) but I think reducing services is his objective for as many departments as he can manage. He would love to have the county handle everything, regardless of the impact on services. And anyone who has dealt with the county knows many of their services are a bureaucratic nightmare and a mess. People should think long and hard before jumping aboard this train.

And, don't forget, boys and girls, Weinstein has told a number of people that when he is not re-elected, he will be leaving town permanently - for Florida. I think that sums up his commitment in a nutshell. Amherst is not a community he plans to stay in. So, why should he care?
    Did he give a reason for leaving town?

Said he has always wanted to retire to Florida. That's his business, and fine. But I don't have a lot of confidence in someone who plans to leave town determining the future of my Town. Where I plan to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    It will be fun to see if the Board has the stones to adopt a resolution asking for an opinion from the town attorney on the legality of the supervisor unilaterally giving away town assets to "sex sigma". If nothing else the voters have learned once and for all that Weinstein still views himself as a county representative and not a representative of this town. We'll have to be vigilant to watch more carefully as he tries to further dismantle the town and give it to "sex sigma".
    Blogger on Amherst Times wrote:
    July 8, 2010
    "Did you note that the 4 million dollar give away was done via the Consent agenda, so that no one present at the Town Board meeting or watching it later on tv heard or will hear any discussion related to this. It also means that the decision to give this opportunity for low cost financing away was a unanimous decision by all Town Board members. So much for public disclosure."

These people would not need a psychologist to teach them how to handle concerned citizens if they would do their job in representing the people in an open and honest manner.
    BTW. Who paid the doctor bill?

Tell us How You Feel

Tell us how you feel??!!
    work session to speak about “Communicating with Distressed Constituents.”
    “A psychologist?? Are you kidding me???” Council Member Mark Manna wrote
    actually caring about voter concern
    Can't find a place to spend 4 million in Amherst??!! Weinstein "selfless"??!!
    Pardon the cynicism, but these pronouncements stretch credulity.
    Town Supervisor have the power to make this decision on his own
    giving away town assets to "sex sigma".
    Weinstein couldn't care less about Amherst
    their job in representing the people in an open and honest manner.

the dictator and his stooges
    watch the man read and switch glasses while others speak
    rude and crude, and diverter of bad taste to others
    again he makes Satish look like a guy of his ilk but couldn't get his will imposed
    even the department heads resist any comments

Quote Originally Posted by left wing View Post
    Said he has always wanted to retire to Florida. That's his business, and fine. But I don't have a lot of confidence in someone who plans to leave town determining the future of my Town. Where I plan to stay.
    The sooner he leaves the better.

Tell us how you feel about Meeting participation

The Town receives grants to broadcast meetings so if the current arrangement expires January 1 - find another way to televise meetings (on the Town web if necessary).
    Discourse is discouraged with Draconian rules on who is worthy to speak on what and when they may speak.
    We elected the Board. They were happy to take the job which is due to our support- now they do whatever they want (until next election). "They" refers to Emperor Weinstein and his "Groupthink" Bobbleheads.
    One example of the dysfunctional system were the budget preliminary and final passage meetings which were staged to make people believe everyone is delighted.
    Department heads know their businesses and they had Board members who were sympathetic to their needs. Those Board members put forth changes in an open system when needed. Those days are gone. The Bobbleheads are only allowed to make very minor adjustments in anything discussed.
    Remember that it only works when assessed values rise, rates remain, but we pay more taxes.

Thread Information