Lancaster mayor seeks reelection for second term

January 14, 2021
by MARIA PERICOZZI Editor

Current Village of Lancaster Mayor William Schroeder has announced that he will be running for reelection with the Citizens Party in the March 16 village election.

For the first time since 1997, the race for the Village of Lancaster mayor will be contested. Current trustee Lynne Ruda announced her candidacy for mayor with the Integrity Party. The election is slated for March 16.

Schroeder was elected mayor in March 2017 and has since worked to help the constituents of Lancaster.

“I can’t think of a better place to do that from than the mayor’s seat,” Schroeder said. “I think we’ve done a very good job in the Village of Lancaster.”

Schroeder said the village is a customer service-based business that provides services to the residents, and that he tries his best to help the residents.

“It’s very gratifying to do that,” Schroeder said, adding he gets a lot of satisfaction from helping residents. Even if he can’t help personally, he often knows someone who can.

The Village of Lancaster has seen unprecedented progress in the last three years with the West Main Street extension project.
“It’s nice to see it finally come to fruition,” Schroeder said. “The other development that’s been going on in the area, it’s 50 years in the making. There’s been a lot of trial and error, but it’s finally coming to life.”

Schroeder said there is quite a bit to do in the next four years, including rezoning Central Avenue from Walden Avenue to Broadway to allow residents to open a business out of their homes.

“Because of the pandemic, people are looking at other income opportunities,” Schroeder said. “If they can open a business in their home, then they don’t have to pay rent to somebody.”

Schroeder said he likes seeing the business district grow. He has also sent a letter to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, urging him to reopen restaurants and bars.

“I’m so upset about our bars and restaurants being shut down,” Schroeder said. “If they go out of business, they’re not coming back. The saddest sign to see in a business window is ‘For Rent.’”

Being a life member of the Lancaster Fire Department himself, Schroeder said he would like to see Fireman’s Park come together as a tribute to firefighters. He joined in 1979, which was something he wanted to do since he was a little boy.

“I went through all the ranks,” Schroeder said, adding he was fire chief and received a number of awards within the department.
Schroeder said he is most proud of receiving the Fire Safety Educator of the Year award from the Fireman’s Association of the State of New York. He has also received the Fireman of the Year award, as well as the president’s award.

Working with the state assembly woman at the time, Schroeder started a Fire Safety Education program.

“We built an award-winning fire prevention and safety program,” Schroeder said, adding he’s presented the program to thousands of people. “I had a wonderful career with the Lancaster Fire Department. I enjoyed every minute of it. I enjoy supporting them now because I understand what they need.”

Schroeder is also in the process of pursuing an addition for the West Drullard fire station to allow for showers, a workout facility and laundry area.

Schroeder enjoys going out, meeting residents and hearing their concerns. He is trying to safely go door to door for campaigning, but has also started a Facebook page.

Most people he’s spoken to have been very satisfied with the job the current board has been doing, and he has very little negative feedback. Residents were especially worried at the beginning of the pandemic when sales tax would take a hit. The Village of Lancaster has not received Erie County sales tax since 2003, so the village was not impacted.

We’ve been able to stay fiscally stable,” Schroeder said, adding he’d like to continue to keep the tax rate for residents low. “In my term as mayor, we’ve had two years of a zero tax increase, and one year of 1.5% of an increase.”

Schroeder said the low or no tax increase helps add to the quality of life.

“We’re able to keep the tax rate down and still maintain and improve our services,” Schroeder said. “I’m very proud of that.”

Schroeder said he may be the “chief executive officer” but he has 10,000 bosses: the residents.

“We work for the people,” Schroeder said. “We answer to them.”

Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...r-second-term/