Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster's "Band Shell", "I never intended it to be for rock concerts"

point / counter

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    As usually happens when there are differences of opinion, the focal point is lost to sub issues that cloud the issue. When Robinson proposed using the band shell for a rock concert, the first and foremost questioned asked of her by the Supervisor was, “How do you intend to control the crowd as there may be 1,000 to 2,000 kids showing up for the concert.” The response given was that “we have three police officers and volunteers.”

The average crowd for this group has been at most 200 - as usual Supervisor Giza exaggerates the numbers.

Then throws in crowd control - yes controlling a few thousand youth would cause concerns - and thats why he added about 800 to a thousand more than what was proposed by Miss Robinson.

As the venue is for Lancaster kids aged between 13 and 16, Robinson was asked how the crowd would be limited to only Lancaster students. “We will use their school ID’s,” was the response.

More if maybes to cloud the issue.

Giza asked, “What will you do with kids that enter without ID’s as there are multiple accesses and they will hop neighboring property fences as well?” The answer was, “We will throw them out.” (Really, three cops and volunteers are going to screen a crowd of 1,000 to 2,000.)

More smoke, more scare tactics and bogus assumptions by Supervisor Giza, he paints a picture of unruly youth scaling neighbors fences -

After that it became what about this, what about that, etc. – mainly because the main stage at the Fourth of July celebration was deemed unfit because of the proximity of the beer tent; even when it was suggested putting the event on before the beer tent opened.

Who suggested the 4 Th of July Festival? Then who shot it down? That was no compromise, that was steering the question into a "No Answer"

And when Robinson declared the coalition would consider reducing the size of the event to 500 and come up with a plan to ensure security, safety and crowd control , she not only lost the board but others as well. To many of us this became no more than, “it’s not for the kids”, it’s to push their venue into the band shell.

"Its for the Kids" is the Town Boards reasoning for spending millions, when it suits their agenda. This lady is trying to present a venue for the kids and she was willing to limit the numbers to 500 or less in response to the Town Boards claim thousands could show up.

It is not about a one hour rock music venue, seniors who hate rock and roll and all the other nonsense. It is exactly about crowd control and safety and that the coalition walked in with a proposal that did not assure they had a plan in place.

There has been much planning by the Coalition - the Politicians like to brag about all they do for our youth when they use tax dollars to create new Patronage and agencies in which to place the tax funded party loyal.

But when it comes to actually giving our youth and this coalition a chance to offer alternative venues - they do their best to insinuate our youth aren't responsible enough to handle them selves.

They seem to be saying,
    "The sins of the fathers will be visited upon their children"

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

sounds like your town is against teens

guess what your town has teens and they have friends. do you want the other towns to entertain your teens so you dont have to. O.P. has a "band shell" behind the middle school and we have had local bands play. you dont get woodstock with a half million kids for a local band. Sounds like you either let the teens have their music or stop all concerts and move the band shell to a field where you can build a twenty foot high wall around it to keep out the other kids.. what happens when 2000 seriors get out of controll. and that is not foolish you are judging your own children as uncontrollable and the seniors raised them.
    might as well chase all the teens out of town if you are so afraid of them having fun.
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

I can guarantee more people go to HS football games than this concert would attract. It's a local high school band, not a big national star. I'm sure there won't be 1,000 kids there. As Truth said, there probably won't be more than 200.

Let them play!

Originally posted by outsidethebox:
    I can guarantee more people go to HS football games than this concert would attract. It's a local high school band, not a big national star. I'm sure there won't be 1,000 kids there. As Truth said, there probably won't be more than 200.

Let them play!
    WOW! I can't believe it. I don't think that I have ever agreed with you. But this post, I agree with 100%.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    WOW! I can't believe it. I don't think that I have ever agreed with you. But this post, I agree with 100%.
    I concurr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippie!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    You pose some valid points, and I think Giza and crew are just scared, because they are not controlling the venue. But I don't know what false allegations you are referring too. You sound angry, I think the consensis on this post is that the children should conduct their venue. I for one am in agreement as long as it is not an out of control issue.

I will say, as the Supervisor of this town, he should inquire about the logistics of the venue and instill the safety aspects. That is not an assumption that is his job.
    Sorry if I was unclear about why I am angry. The false allegations I was referring to are related to the comments about children bringing drugs into the venue when regular fans to The Mixtape concerts have never been arrested or convicted of anything drug related or violent. I will not go and say that it is impossible for drugs to enter the venue (or future venues) but this should not be a reason for refusing to let The Mixtape play a public concert which they have won the right to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear about why I am angry. The false allegations I was referring to are related to the comments about children bringing drugs into the venue when regular fans to The Mixtape concerts have never been arrested or convicted of anything drug related or violent. I will not go and say that it is impossible for drugs to enter the venue (or future venues) but this should not be a reason for refusing to let The Mixtape play a public concert which they have won the right to play.
    Oh, thanx for clarifing. I think it is a great idea for the kids, but do see the importance of a clear agenda and outcome.

Hope everyone is having fun and will be safe.

The process started some time ago and Giza was blowing his horn on how great it would be for the residents (voters), to enjoy a night of music and EVERYONE could benefit from the band shelter. But from day one before all this crap came to the front, KIDS and the loud music Giza was dancing around any question about kid bands and that LOUD music. Giza Never thought of any issues and just like purchasing a coldcraft building it a good deal and WHAT is the problem???????? The kids were never going to be allow to use it and that's it!!!!!!!!! Just remember VOTERS not for your kids but for the SENIOR VOTE!!!!!!!!! Gizzers loves the VOTING residents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it ironic that the group pushing the town on having the rock band concert at the band shell is none other than the Depew-Lancaster Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition, an organization that does much good for the community youth and receives heavy support from numerous town sponsored organizations and volunteers.

I also find it ironic that at the town board work session the concern was that 1,000 to 2,000 kids would attend the concert, the individual petitioning for use of the band shell said they would limit attendance to 500 if need be, and in the media we are reading that if 200 kids show up that would be all that would be expected.

I don't believe the concern here is what type of music is played for one hour on an early summer's night, but whether there is crowd control. Yes, even old geezers like myself like rock; after all our generation was introduced to it and we grew up loving it.

Crowd control?

How much money did it cost the tax payers of Lancaster for security and crowd control in the village for this weekends events?

How many paid Town and Village Employees were working it and how many received Over-Time related to it's preperation and clean up ?

How many Officers were assigned and how many were shifted there when calls came in? Like 11:30PM on the 3rd of July when four extra cars were called in as back up? How much was spent on Over-Time?

Crowd control is a issue contrived by the Town Board to justify their position!

Our Town Government is willing to spend millions to bail out the LaFarge Company - to acquire land for "Future" soccer fields. Fields that will not be built or usable for many years to come and only if future taxation allows its financing. Because that makes for good campaign literature.

Yet when our youth could have a one hour, drug and alcohol free concert - they feel its to much to handle.

I bet if those who wanted the concert were of voting age - the Town Board would be falling all over themselves to sponsor it.

4248;657203]How much money did it cost the tax payers of Lancaster for security and crowd control in the village for this weekends events?
    I don't know, please tell me.

How many paid Town and Village Employees were working it and how many received Over-Time related to it's preperation and clean up ?
    And your point is?

How many Officers were assigned and how many were shifted there when calls came in? Like 11:30PM on the 3rd of July when four extra cars were called in as back up? How much was spent on Over-Time?
    How much? We all complain about overtime expenditures by the public sector when not required. I think this affair is a success because families feel comfortable and safe attending them.

Crowd control is a issue contrived by the Town Board to justify their position!
    Not in this case where alcohol is on the premise.

Our Town Government is willing to spend millions to bail out the LaFarge Company - to acquire land for "Future" soccer fields. Fields that will not be built or usable for many years to come and only if future taxation allows its financing. Because that makes for good campaign literature.
    The town did not pay for the LaFarge property.

Yet when our youth could have a one hour, drug and alcohol free concert - they feel its to much to handle.
    Too much for who to handle? This is not a town sponsored event.

I bet if those who wanted the concert were of voting age - the Town Board would be falling all over themselves to sponsor it.
    Their parents vote and it took some balls for the town to buck an organization (Depew-Lancaster Substance Abuse Program) that they are very supportive of. The crowd control concern is a valid one and the party petitioning for the use of the band stand offered no assurances of such control.

Wink No thanks

I am not going to get into a Pi--ing match over this.

I support our youths rights to have a drug and alcohol free concert in the Lancaster tax funded band shell - you don't - end of my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    I am not going to get into a Pi--ing match over this.

I support our youths rights to have a drug and alcohol free concert in the Lancaster tax funded band shell - you don't - end of my comments.

No, you are wrong. I have no qualms with a rock concert taking place there. I have an issue with it being managed appropriately and a plan in place that assures that will happen. There was no such plan. And, if you are saying that adequate adult supervision is not needed for an event such as this where all Lancaster/Depew kids should be invited and assume that all kids will be on good behavior, boy do we disagree.

This event will take place in an area where residential properties are as close as 50 feet away and where access to the event is not restricted to one or two accesses.

senoir securty

do the senior events at the band shell and other events have to provide securty or just your children. and if they do are they required to provide the same amount. last time I checked adults drink and use drugs also
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Angry OK - here we go

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    No, you are wrong. I have no qualms with a rock concert taking place there. I have an issue with it being managed appropriately and a plan in place that assures that will happen. There was no such plan.

You wrote:
    "The Coalition consists of the Churches, police, schools and others.

Robinson stated that three officers would be there in full force to provide security. They would ask for Lancaster school ID’s and that all parties are committed to doing it and will be present to make sure the event is drug and alcohol free

The event would be geared to kids in grades 7-12. The mission is to promote positive ways to help youths steer clear of substance abuse.

In fact, the idea came from kids themselves that appeared at other Coalition meetings, stating that they did not want to attend band concerts and that there were not enough music events that appealed to them.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And, if you are saying that adequate adult supervision is not needed for an event such as this where all Lancaster/Depew kids should be invited and assume that all kids will be on good behavior, boy do we disagree.

You wrote:
    Robinson stated that three officers would be there in full force to provide security.

They would ask for Lancaster school ID’s and that all parties are committed to doing it and will be present to make sure the event is drug and alcohol free.

"Robinson interjected that after hearing all the concerns put forth by the board, she would be willing to come back with a plan that limits the concert attendance to 500.

“Officer Formato (School Resource Officer) says to give the board his word, whatever that means. We have 15-20 volunteers from our coalition and 15-20 people volunteering from other organizations

This event will take place in an area where residential properties are as close as 50 feet away and where access to the event is not restricted to one or two accesses.

Access is limited to two streets - everything else you and the Board keep harping on is if maybe - you could say the same negative things about any open public area or event.

I also believe there is some animosity being harbored by Supervisor Giza because one of the band members is the son of a past Town Board Republican Candidate.

Lets put all the cards on the table. This Board and the Controlling Majority Party never miss a chance to punish their opposition - even if it means disrupting things for their children.

Regardless of whether or not this concert is held - our Town Government is acting out of spite and projecting unfounded, self induced fears. Some of those fears were born in the reality of their own families history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information