Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster's "Band Shell", "I never intended it to be for rock concerts"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    I agree that having the event at Westwood Park makes little sense.

Put it at the Speedway. No one seems to care about the residents in that area anyway (sarcasm).
    Lee, you made my day. I laughed so hard, well I'd rather not say....

I did read your article. If everyone is happy with the compromise, then it's a good deal.

Question What did I miss????

Quote Originally Posted by gshowell View Post
    Lee, you made my day. I laughed so hard, well I'd rather not say....

I did read your article. If everyone is happy with the compromise, then it's a good deal.
    Sorry, I must have missed a post or two - where was a "Compromise" offered? Who offered it and whats the offer?

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

I'm astonished that there are still people that seem to subscribe to the whole "Rock and roll is evil" theory. You people still equate rock music with drugs?

Jeez, people - rock and roll has been the dominant music in the US for the past 50+ years. Sure, maybe some of the young kids prefer to listen to rap....would you prefer a rap concert?

Seriously, how old does someone have to be today to have not had positive experiences with rock and roll? 75, maybe?

I feel like I'm in a bad movie that takes place in the Midwest in the 60's. What's next, burning Beatles records??

EDIT PS By the way, where the heck is this stupid band shell anyway? By the Youth Bureau?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    I feel like I'm in a bad movie that takes place in the Midwest in the 60's. What's next, burning Beatles records??
    Next dancing is going to be banned. Then a rebellious teen from Chicago will move here. His classmates will all rally around him and his quest to be allowed to dance.
    If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

Band Shell, Youth Bureau on Oxford Avenue

If you go south on Aurora, about a half mile past Como, on your left you'll see a sign. As you see the road on the east side of the street - straight ahead is the Senior Center. Band Shell is just another few feet south east of the Senior Center before you reach the parking area shared by the Youth Bureau.

Hope that helps!

Loose, Foot Loose, everybody wants to cut Loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Originally posted by therising:
    I'm astonished that there are still people that seem to subscribe to the whole "Rock and roll is evil" theory. You people still equate rock music with drugs?

Jeez, people - rock and roll has been the dominant music in the US for the past 50+ years. Sure, maybe some of the young kids prefer to listen to rap....would you prefer a rap concert?

Seriously, how old does someone have to be today to have not had positive experiences with rock and roll? 75, maybe?

They do a positive thing in getting the kids to work hard and win a "Battle of the Bands". Then the town board more or less tells them that they have a negative impact on their piers.

The 75 year olds were 21 years old when Elvis's "Heartbreak Hotel" came out. The King of Rock 'n Roll was from their generation. Elvis would have been 75 this year. How old is the Giza? Were they doing drugs at every concert he attended? I doubt it.

Originally posted by 4248:
    If you go south on Aurora, about a half mile past Como, on your left you'll see a sign. As you see the road on the east side of the street - straight ahead is the Senior Center. Band Shell is just another few feet south east of the Senior Center before you reach the parking area shared by the Youth Bureau.
    Is it that pink or rose colored tunnel?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post

Hope that helps!

Loose, Foot Loose, everybody wants to cut Loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks. Not that it matters now, as it's already built - but how far away are the nearest homes?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The 75 year olds were 21 years old when Elvis's "Heartbreak Hotel" came out. The King of Rock 'n Roll was from their generation. Elvis would have been 75 this year. How old is the Giza? Were they doing drugs at every concert he attended? I doubt it.
    I didn't pull 75 out of thin air
    Someone who is, say 70, now - would have been 16 when Heartbreak Hotel came out. So, it's safe to say that anyone 70, and younger, grew up with Rock and Roll.
    Pretty incredible when you think about it. Has there ever been a genre of music that remained remained as a dominant art form for so long? And, people are still scared of it?

Seriously, you Lancasterites should talk to some officials in Tonawanda or NT. 40 years ago, the opinion was that if there was a teen concert at Gratwick Park on River Rd. the jails would be overflowing. People wrote letters to the editor of the Tonawanda News likening this to another Woodstock.

Fast forward to 2010 and there are concerts 3 nights a week (used to be 4) at Gateway Harbor. There's music for young and old, and few problems. Remember that these kids are citizens, and you should not be able to just stonewall them. They might not yet vote, but I'd bet that many of their parents do.

Pay at the Bandshell! Oh wait we were just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Giza and other Town Board Members are afraid, "Once youth hear that a band is playing, they would flock to the venue, and policing the crowd and security would become issues.
    Board Members are worried, "about youth sneaking substances into the event and then Supervisor Giza spoke of his days as director of the Lancaster-Depew Boys and Girls Club." He stated, "Ive seen the good, the bad and the ugly." Referring to Lancaster's Boys and Girls Club Members.
    The Coalition is seeking to, "Better serve our kids" - they want to, "promote positive ways to help our youth to steer clear of substance abuse."
    Supervisor Giza stated, "We're scared we'll create a giant we can't control."

With all due respect "Giza and other Town Board Members" are blowing this all way out of porportion. I have been to more than 7 of The Mixtape's concerts with my children at many different venues and not once has a concert gotten out of hand. GIZA AND THE BOARD ARE BASICALLY SAYING THIS CONCERT WILL TURN INTO THE NEXT WOODSTOCK! Before anyone listens to a word the board has to say they should know the facts.

1) At a typical concert The Mixtape usually has 200 "participants"
    2) NEVER AT ANY VENUE HAVE "PARTICIPANTS" BEEN THROWN OUT, ARRESTED, OR CAUGHT FOR DRUGS AND/OR ALCOHOL POSESSION, USE, OR DISTRIBUTION
    3) The Mixtape's fans generally range from 7th grade students to seniors in highschool. The capable Lancaster Police Department has never had a problem keeping large crowds of more than 200 (such as at the Lancaster vs. Depew Football games) under control and now should be no different. This is not "a giant we can't control."

Noise has never been an issue at the 4th of July celebration in the Village of Lancaster. If Giza does not want to have this band play at the Bandshell, then a show at the 4th of July celebration should be arranged for The Mixtape. At the 4th of July proper security measures for controlling large crowds are already in affect and therefore would come at an additional expense.

Any other questions/concerns that may arise should be adressed by finding out the facts before making false allegations that have no evidence to support or contradict them. Such assumptions should be dismissed immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    With all due respect "Giza and other Town Board Members" are blowing this all way out of porportion. I have been to more than 7 of The Mixtape's concerts with my children at many different venues and not once has a concert gotten out of hand. GIZA AND THE BOARD ARE BASICALLY SAYING THIS CONCERT WILL TURN INTO THE NEXT WOODSTOCK! Before anyone listens to a word the board has to say they should know the facts.

1) At a typical concert The Mixtape usually has 200 "participants"
    2) NEVER AT ANY VENUE HAVE "PARTICIPANTS" BEEN THROWN OUT, ARRESTED, OR CAUGHT FOR DRUGS AND/OR ALCOHOL POSESSION, USE, OR DISTRIBUTION
    3) The Mixtape's fans generally range from 7th grade students to seniors in highschool. The capable Lancaster Police Department has never had a problem keeping large crowds of more than 200 (such as at the Lancaster vs. Depew Football games) under control and now should be no different. This is not "a giant we can't control."

Noise has never been an issue at the 4th of July celebration in the Village of Lancaster. If Giza does not want to have this band play at the Bandshell, then a show at the 4th of July celebration should be arranged for The Mixtape. At the 4th of July proper security measures for controlling large crowds are already in affect and therefore would come at an additional expense.

Any other questions/concerns that may arise should be adressed by finding out the facts before making false allegations that have no evidence to support or contradict them. Such assumptions should be dismissed immediately.
    You pose some valid points, and I think Giza and crew are just scared, because they are not controlling the venue. But I don't know what false allegations you are referring too. You sound angry, I think the consensis on this post is that the children should conduct their venue. I for one am in agreement as long as it is not an out of control issue.

I will say, as the Supervisor of this town, he should inquire about the logistics of the venue and instill the safety aspects. That is not an assumption that is his job.

As usually happens when there are differences of opinion, the focal point is lost to sub issues that cloud the issue. When Robinson proposed using the band shell for a rock concert, the first and foremost questioned asked of her by the Supervisor was, “How do you intend to control the crowd as there may be 1,000 to 2,000 kids showing up for the concert.” The response given was that “we have three police officers and volunteers.”

As the venue is for Lancaster kids aged between 13 and 16, Robinson was asked how the crowd would be limited to only Lancaster students. “We will use their school ID’s,” was the response.

Giza asked, “What will you do with kids that enter without ID’s as there are multiple accesses and they will hop neighboring property fences as well?” The answer was, “We will throw them out.” (Really, three cops and volunteers are going to screen a crowd of 1,000 to 2,000.)

After that it became what about this, what about that, etc. – mainly because the main stage at the Fourth of July celebration was deemed unfit because of the proximity of the beer tent; even when it was suggested putting the event on before the beer tent opened.

And when Robinson declared the coalition would consider reducing the size of the event to 500 and come up with a plan to ensure security, safety and crowd control , she not only lost the board but others as well. To many of us this became no more than, “it’s not for the kids”, it’s to push their venue into the band shell.

It is not about a one hour rock music venue, seniors who hate rock and roll and all the other nonsense. It is exactly about crowd control and safety and that the coalition walked in with a proposal that did not assure they had a plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    As usually happens when there are differences of opinion, the focal point is lost to sub issues that cloud the issue. When Robinson proposed using the band shell for a rock concert, the first and foremost questioned asked of her by the Supervisor was, “How do you intend to control the crowd as there may be 1,000 to 2,000 kids showing up for the concert.” The response given was that “we have three police officers and volunteers.”

As the venue is for Lancaster kids aged between 13 and 16, Robinson was asked how the crowd would be limited to only Lancaster students. “We will use their school ID’s,” was the response.

Giza asked, “What will you do with kids that enter without ID’s as there are multiple accesses and they will hop neighboring property fences as well?” The answer was, “We will throw them out.” (Really, three cops and volunteers are going to screen a crowd of 1,000 to 2,000.)

After that it became what about this, what about that, etc. – mainly because the main stage at the Fourth of July celebration was deemed unfit because of the proximity of the beer tent; even when it was suggested putting the event on before the beer tent opened.

And when Robinson declared the coalition would consider reducing the size of the event to 500 and come up with a plan to ensure security, safety and crowd control , she not only lost the board but others as well. To many of us this became no more than, “it’s not for the kids”, it’s to push their venue into the band shell.

It is not about a one hour rock music venue, seniors who hate rock and roll and all the other nonsense. It is exactly about crowd control and safety and that the coalition walked in with a proposal that did not assure they had a plan in place.

Perfect Lee, well put and I hope it dispelled assumptions.

I stick by my guns. Let them have the concert and see what happens.

(Crowd surfing sounds like fun. Although in my case, it may turn into crowd crushing.)

Truth nailed it. Ban HS football games too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information