Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Residents request noise control

Residents request noise control

From Lee's front page article-
    Residents request Noise control at Lancaster Speedway
    In my humble opinion, the Lancaster speedway should be able to run their operations 7 days until 11pm. If there are special events which would last longer into the night, my belief is they should have to go before the board prior to the event and request an extension with public input.
    Their races, tractor pulls, drags, etc should be considered noise being emanated from a legitimate commercial activity, as in the Town Code Chapter 38-7 G Noise exceptions.
    G. Any legitimate commercial or industrial use or activity as long as the noise emanating therefrom does not regularly run beyond the hour of 11:00 p.m. local time and is not otherwise scheduled to run beyond 11:00 p.m. local time.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    From Lee's front page article-
    Residents request Noise control at Lancaster Speedway
    In my humble opinion, the Lancaster speedway should be able to run their operations 7 days until 11pm. If there are special events which would last longer into the night, my belief is they should have to go before the board prior to the event and request an extension with public input.
    Their races, tractor pulls, drags, etc should be considered noise being emanated from a legitimate commercial activity, as in the Town Code Chapter 38-7 G Noise exceptions.

It looks like Marie Bohm, who is behind the complaint, purchased her home in 2005. The speedway has been there since the 60s.

This should be all that is needed to tell her to jump in the lake.

Originally posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS:
    It looks like Marie Bohm, who is behind the complaint, purchased her home in 2005. The speedway has been there since the 60s.

This should be all that is needed to tell her to jump in the lake.
    AGREED. This is nothing like the airport where a flight school opened decades after the airport opened and has planes constantly flying over its neighbors. The speedway does not move its operations off the premises.

The only property that I could find for Tytka and Bohm was a property on Genesee St, Lancaster purchased in 1999, could not find a Pavement Rd property.

Georgia L Schlager

It looks like he lives just East of Hull House.

“I believe that I deserve the same peace and quiet as everyone else in town,” declared Tytka.
    Actually, Mr. Tyka, here's the thing....YOU bought a house 1,800 feet from a speedway. So....no, you don't deserve the same peace and quiet that others in the Town deserve.

“You wouldn’t allow that in the middle of town, why am I being treated differently; just because I live on the outskirts of town?”
    See above

“We need to do something about lessening the noise; by putting in a berm or an acoustical wall like they have along highways to dampen the sound.
    Go ahead. Put it in your yard.

There is no protection between my house and their field where the tractor pulls are taking place,” said Tytka.
    Maybe he doesn't live just East of the Hull House. Cause if that was the case, the Thruway would be between him an the raceway.

10 or 11

it has been awhile since I hung around race tracks but if I remember right most had 10:00 week day and 11:00 week end quitting times. zoning laws and agreements with the towns they were in set the limits. If an event was to be longer they had two choices .start earlier or request an variance that took too much time and effort to get. I remember ten and twenty lap races being shortened just to fit the time limit.
    as far as noise goes its Friday and Saturday night get out of the house and take the wife to diner and a show
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Originally posted by therising:
    It looks like he lives just East of Hull House.

Quote:
    “I believe that I deserve the same peace and quiet as everyone else in town,” declared Tytka.

Actually, Mr. Tyka, here's the thing....YOU bought a house 1,800 feet from a speedway. So....no, you don't deserve the same peace and quiet that others in the Town deserve.

Quote:
    “You wouldn’t allow that in the middle of town, why am I being treated differently; just because I live on the outskirts of town?”

See above

Quote:
    “We need to do something about lessening the noise; by putting in a berm or an acoustical wall like they have along highways to dampen the sound.

Go ahead. Put it in your yard.

Quote:
    There is no protection between my house and their field where the tractor pulls are taking place,” said Tytka.

Maybe he doesn't live just East of the Hull House. Cause if that was the case, the Thruway would be between him an the raceway.
    Good post , rising. The man does it make it sound like his property backs up to the speedway. Isn't his backyard Thruway open 24/7?

Georgia L Schlager

OK i think ill post here...

I have lived in my house for 25 years,..... and I hear the 'roar' if you will of the thruway 24/7 (it was erie during the october storm - no noise)

I acquired the home, 2 years ago... how about MY peace and quite?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

So, despite the fact that weekly events have been increased from two to six days a week, that events can take place from 9 am to 1 am, that the noise has been ramped up with tractor pulls and that rock bands now perform here, the consensus is that no consideration should be given to the community by putting up some form of sound barrier. You seriously believe that the request is unreasonable? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    So, despite the fact that weekly events have been increased from two to six days a week, that events can take place from 9 am to 1 am, that the noise has been ramped up with tractor pulls and that rock bands now perform here, the consensus is that no consideration should be given to the community by putting up some form of sound barrier. You seriously believe that the request is unreasonable? Interesting.
    I think it would have been a reasonable request when the speedway was first built.
    They had to know that there would be noise. If they want to make their property quieter, they should do something about it. However, leave the taxpayer out of it. I'm tired of paying for people's poor choices.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

If you're going to ask about unreasonable....

Anyone who lives in the Town of Lancaster has heard the raceway. It can be heard miles away, and it's been like that for, what? 40 years? 50 years?
    His suggestion of putting up a berm would be the biggest waste of money in the history of money.

I could be wrong, but by checking this guy's name, it appears as if he lives on the north side of Genesee, just east of Ransom. I won't post his address here, but PM me if you want it (at least the one I assume it is.)
    Point being, his property backs up to the Thruway. The raceway is on the other side of the Thruway. I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy who complains about noise when his property abuts the Thruway, and is 1800 feet from a raceway.

As for tractor pulls, I'm not qualified to give an opinion - don't know how loud they are. Do you know?

As far as "rock bands now performing there," as far as I know, there's one concert scheduled there this year - it's in September.

And, has the six day a week thing, and the 1 AM hours, been verified by anyone, except the guy that's complaining?

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    If you're going to ask about unreasonable....

Anyone who lives in the Town of Lancaster has heard the raceway. It can be heard miles away, and it's been like that for, what? 40 years? 50 years?
    His suggestion of putting up a berm would be the biggest waste of money in the history of money.

I could be wrong, but by checking this guy's name, it appears as if he lives on the north side of Genesee, just east of Ransom. I won't post his address here, but PM me if you want it (at least the one I assume it is.)
    Point being, his property backs up to the Thruway. The raceway is on the other side of the Thruway. I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy who complains about noise when his property abuts the Thruway, and is 1800 feet from a raceway.

As for tractor pulls, I'm not qualified to give an opinion - don't know how loud they are. Do you know?

As far as "rock bands now performing there," as far as I know, there's one concert scheduled there this year - it's in September.

And, has the six day a week thing, and the 1 AM hours, been verified by anyone, except the guy that's complaining?
    No board member refuted or questioned any of Tytka's claims at the work session or at the public comment session. Please just don't think about Tytka and Bohn as others in the community complain as well. Think community.

If the noise and the number of events are ramping up, ordinance violations occur and the community as a whole is adversely impacted is it fair for others that are not equally impacted to say screw the NIMBY's; they should have known there would be 6 days of events instead of the two when then moved in years ago.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    No board member refuted or questioned any of Tytka's claims at the work session or at the public comment session. Please just don't think about Tytka and Bohn as others in the community complain as well. Think community.

If the noise and the number of events are ramping up, ordinance violations occur and the community as a whole is adversely impacted is it fair for others that are not equally impacted to say screw the NIMBY's; they should have known there would be 6 days of events instead of the two when then moved in years ago.
    Sorry Lee, but I do disagree with you on this one.

When the man purchases a house with a Thruway in his backyard, a raceway to the north of the Thruway and what looks to be a gravel pit to the east of him, I do believe this time "He should have known better" is a fact. He should be responsible for building his own noise barrier berm if he feels it is needed

Checking the schedule on the raceway's site, it's a 5 day schedule (Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun). I think it's great that they found other events to increase their revenue stream (more sales taxes).

My only issue is the after 11 pm noise violation. Maybe, they could try starting at 7 am. Then, maybe they would be done by 11pm. If we can rev up our mowers, weed whackers and chainsaws at 7am, there shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not a patron of the raceway nor am I a fan of any kind of racing events but do believe this business has a right to conduct their business within the confines of the town noise ordinances.
    Last edited by gorja; June 24th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.

Georgia L Schlager

Lee, I'm not an attorney or expert on this, but wasn't there some legislation, (I searched, no luck), signed by Gov. Coumo in ref. to "buyer beware"?

Example, buying a house across the street from the airport, then complaining about the noise, or buying in a sub-division near an outdoor licensed shooting range, then complaining about the noise. Especially since those entities had been there years prior to the person making their purchase?

Just asking...
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

That is a BIG IF and even you stated:

No board member refuted or questioned any of Tytka's claims at the work session or at the public comment session.
    But you said:

So, despite the fact that weekly events have been increased from two to six days a week,

So I went to the Speedway Site and looked for the Calendar of Events. According to the calendar for the Speedway, there are only 6 events scheduled for June, 15 events for July, 14 for August...

With this being the case, just how can you claim that weekly events have been increased from two to six days a week? Where is your proof of this claim?

What I see are events every Tue, Wed, Fri and Sat. It looks like the Tue and Wed events are newish and the Fri and Sat are more traditional race events.

Regardless, as gorja said first, the Lancaster speedway should be able to run their operations 7 days until 11pm.

Lightbulb My 2 cents

I have lived near the Speedway for over 20 years. I hear many different types of sounds from there. Yes, at times its overly obvious that loud events are happening. Yes, some nights you can even hear the loud speaker announcements. You can even hear the cars tires squealing!

But its a race way, its been there a long time and from past conversations with owners - they have always tried to be good neighbors. Its a noise producing venue, its open to everyone.They even have weekend Flea Markets scheduled, car shows and more.

People come from all over the Country and down from Canada to experience our Speedway. Many locals, including Police are employed there. Many local restaurants, gas stations and bars receive income as a result.

If a berm or other natural burier would help - build one. Stick trees or shrubs on top of it, build a wall. What ever can be done should be.

You wont cure the sound from traveling, some of it is atmospherically influenced. Sound bounces and travels, they are after all "sound waves."

A few years back our Town Board went after the Speedway for "Political Reasons." That seemed to fail when legal actions would have proven the Speedway has always acquired the proper permits and is zoned correctly.

I don't believe in this situation "NIMBY's" are causing a fuss. Quite the opposite appears correct - Its average residents who seek a solution. The Town Board has a right and obligation to protect taxpayers quality of life.

They seem to exaggerate the perceived resistance from the Speedway. They haven't sat down in good faith with speedway owners in an attempt to work out neighbors issues. Perhaps its because the Speedway is "Politically Unfriendly" , or the Speedway is unsure of Lancaster Governments agenda.

Both Party's need to sit down and talk. Town Officials need to quit sniping at the Speedway and do their jobs.

Thats my observations and many others have seen the same thing year after year. The Speedway wants nothing more than to present a family type venue for racing fans.

Stop the games, have a sit down and get it done!

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information