Thread: Yes Lancaster, There Is A Santa Claus: In Depew

Yes Lancaster, There Is A Santa Claus: In Depew

There is little merry or happy about this holiday season, but in this dark, cold winter, a bright spot that warms the heart:

The type of Christmas decorations that adorned downtown Lancaster in years past, will shine once again for all to see after all, but in Depew!

Thank You and Merry Christmas to Tyler Sojka and Mayor Kevin Petersen!

Click on The Lancaster Sun, December 3, 2020:

image (8).jpg

image (9).jpg
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 3rd, 2020 at 05:17 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Everything is about politics

As a 28-year Town of Lancaster resident who has no standing in Village of Lancaster politics but having visited and shopped in the Village for all those years at Christmas, my curiosity is aroused by the Lancaster Sun article, and others prior on the matter

Politics

I drove through the Central Avenue business district and seen the trees decorated with lights, but no other decorations. Can’t remember what was there last year but remember there were some. Resident Tyler Sojka says he had donated 10 and helped the Village of Lancaster DPW hang them

This year Sojka was offering to personally hang all 74 he has collected. The Village board approves, the DPW union disapproves of Sojka’s group hanging them – union breach of contract). The union declares that is their job. Sojka says ok but stipulates that if any are damaged by the Village DPW, he wants compensation. Sojka says The Village Board and he could not come to an agreement. Was the request for damage compensation the cause of the disapproval?

After all, the Village Board was on board with everything Sojka was agreeing to up to the union interference. One Village Trustee boldly asked, “Who is the Village DPW to tell us how to run the government?”

The Village has egg on its face. Shameful! The residents get screwed again because their best interests are not served, rather than that of political agendas.

The Sun reported in another article that the Village of Lancaster was also without an events coordinator, following Christmasville’s founder Dawn Gaczewski founder resigning last year. Resigned? Really? She was so good at it and seemed to relish that appointment. Politics?

Village of Depew

Sojka is quoted in the Sun as saying, “Volunteers would put up decorations in Depew regardless what happened in Lancaster." The Veteran’s Park Gazebo has been decorated and has been approved by Depew Mayor Ken Peterson.

Kudos to the Village of Depew – no arrangement, no grousing by the Village of Depew Highway Department. Residents win.

Sojka’s goal to do good

Sojka’s plan from the get-go was to do good. After being rebuffed by the Village of Lancaster, and after donating 10 decorations to the Village of Depew, his alternate plan is to auction off the remaining decorations and donate the funds to the Lancaster Trinity Food Pantry, at Trinity Episcopal Church.

Kudos, Mr. Sojka, for filling a more noble purpose at this time of pandemic hardship! My best wishes for your having a successful auction!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    As a 28-year Town of Lancaster resident who has no standing in Village of Lancaster politics but having visited and shopped in the Village for all those years at Christmas, my curiosity is aroused by the Lancaster Sun article, and others prior on the matter.
    Lee,

The pandemic and lockdowns have taken an immense physical, psychological, and emotional toll on almost everyone I know, and Mr. Sojka's sentimental kindness certainly is a much-needed shot of warm optimism.

I have been a Lancaster resident for 65 years, and particularly in this year, the one which marks the start of my "Golden Years," I remember with fondness the Christmas season Lancaster downtown business district that once was.

My parents and grandparents shopped almost exclusively in downtown Lancaster in the late 1950s and early 1960s; the pre-mall era if you will. In that regard, for much of those past Novembers and Decembers, there was a metaphoric path from my house to the wonders of the "Christmas Time" village.

I remember seeing the toys in the windows of Murphy's and bikes on display at Western Auto; the toy trains and race cars through the glass at a hobby shop next to the Municipal Building, which displayed that wonderful manger.

I also remember the lights and decorations along Central Avenue and West Main Street and the Santa Claus mailbox in front of the Town Hall. Also, I still remember the free matinee at the Lancaster Show on Christmas Eve, 1960, which was my very first visit to the landmark. I particularly recall the free stocking filled with chocolate candy wrapped in foil to resemble coins.

For me, a less-concentrated memory beckons the displays at New York Store and Dalton's, totally unsuitable to Christmas tastes of a child.

I will always value the ritual post-Christmas romp to Murphy's to empty my pockets of acquired Christmas money. I still have and value an acquisition of a 1963 post-Christmas trip.

My parents and grandparents are all gone now, but Mr. Tyler's thoughtful acts of kindness, which cuts through the hazy fog of time, and for me, is an irreplaceable gift of resurrection.

The Veteran’s Park Gazebo has been decorated and has been approved by Depew Mayor Ken Peterson.
    To Mayor Petersen, also my sincere, sentimental thanks.

Although Tyler's gift can not be shared in its intended venue, Mr. Petersen's willingness to accommodate the display at the Veteran’s Park Gazebo also brings back warm memories for a Village of Lancaster resident who frequented Depew.

Our family religiously shopped at a Red and White on Terrace Blvd., so the trek to view the decorations at the Gazebo will serve to summon a further fond memory of a simpler, happier time.

And, my thanks to you Lee for your comment, which permitted me to share some memories on Speak Up.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 4th, 2020 at 10:05 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Sojka’s ... alternate plan is to auction off the remaining decorations and donate the funds to the Lancaster Trinity Food Pantry, at Trinity Episcopal Church.

Kudos, Mr. Sojka, for filling a more noble purpose at this time of pandemic hardship! My best wishes for your having a successful auction!
    My cousin is closely associated with the Food Pantry, and has asked me to post her very deep appreciation Tyler.

Thread Information