Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WNY continues to 'lead the show' in Covid-19 cases statewide

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Covid, take it seriously

Sometimes it has to become personal before one believes the seriousness of an event, or to hear from the public rather than the media.

In the past few days I know personally of two individuals hospitalized with Covid, one recovering at home and several testing positive and in quarantine. The great majority work in the health industry. Also hearing from nurses on the seriousness of the virus and on concerns of staffing shortages and worker fatigue.

The one health care worker recovering at home sent me the following email this morning describing her grim Covid experience:

Lee,

I have been coping with Covid since Nov 15th. It was grueling. Asked LVAC to take me to the hospital and they advised against it since my lungs were clear.
    I'd never wish it on my worst enemy.

My dog TIpper was with me through most of it but had a heart attack or stroke on Thursday. My grandson volunteered to come get her and take her for cremation.

Waiting for my retest results. If I can get a negative Monday; back to work Tuesday. Have no idea of how things at work except what I read in the paper.
    My co-workers have been sheltering me against any info from work wanting me to build up my strength and not get stressed.

It is real, Lee.

Stay safe!

God bless the first responders and essential workers, every one! Stay safe!
    I know the animal lover that your friend is. The friend shared my grief when I had such a loss recently and want the friend to know that I share her grief as well.

I wish the friend a full and complete recovery, and if the friend needs anything, to let me know.

This year sucked and continues to suck.

I echo your "God bless the first responders and essential workers, every one! Stay safe!"
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Why Covid-19 test data released by New York State and Erie County rarely agree

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/w...home-top-story

Interesting, especially the following:

County residency

Many people are tested and hospitalized in Erie County who are from other parts of Western New York. Erie County epidemiologists weed out cases from people who do not live in the county when collecting the Covid-19 data.

It is unclear how the state is accounting for its data geographically, Poloncarz said, but it's possible the state is not doing the same type of residential sorting as Erie County.

Comment

Regardless of Covid data entry/presentation discrepancies I would be remiss if I did not declare that the individual recovering from Covid who sent me the email is a friend and contributor to Online Buffalo many of you know and may like to express like get well wishes to.

Get well soon and back to work, Gorja. Although not always agreeing, I respect your opinion, your candor, and in-depth research.

As you are a frontline worker in the health care profession, I well appreciate your email attesting to the seriousness of the pandemic regarding its spread in our area and its debilitating impact. Thank you for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Why Covid-19 test data released by New York State and Erie County rarely agree

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/w...home-top-story

Interesting, especially the following:

County residency

Many people are tested and hospitalized in Erie County who are from other parts of Western New York. Erie County epidemiologists weed out cases from people who do not live in the county when collecting the Covid-19 data.

It is unclear how the state is accounting for its data geographically, Poloncarz said, but it's possible the state is not doing the same type of residential sorting as Erie County.

Comment

Regardless of Covid data entry/presentation discrepancies I would be remiss if I did not declare that the individual recovering from Covid who sent me the email is a friend and contributor to Online Buffalo many of you know and may like to express like get well wishes to.

Get well soon and back to work, Gorja. Although not always agreeing, I respect your opinion, your candor, and in-depth research.

As you are a frontline worker in the health care profession, I well appreciate your email attesting to the seriousness of the pandemic regarding its spread in our area and its debilitating impact. Thank you for sharing!
    I always thought of myself as a tough old bird. At 68, working on my feet 10-14 hours a day between 5 and 7 days a week was tiring and doable.
    I just wonder if I will still have that same drive and stamina. Then not having the comfort of my little friend of 18 years to come home to will make it even less tolerable.
    Hopefully, Tuesday, I'll see what I got left in me.
    Thank you Lee

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I always thought of myself as a tough old bird. At 68, working on my feet 10-14 hours a day between 5 and 7 days a week was tiring and doable.
    I just wonder if I will still have that same drive and stamina. Then not having the comfort of my little friend of 18 years to come home to will make it even less tolerable.
    Hopefully, Tuesday, I'll see what I got left in me.
    Thank you Lee
    gorja,

I hope you are feeling better. Praying for a speedy recovery.

You are one of the toughest and straight forward folks I know, whom I respect!

Get well soon.

Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    gorja,

I hope you are feeling better. Praying for a speedy recovery.

You are one of the toughest and straight forward folks I know, whom I respect!

Get well soon.

Shorty
    Thank you shortstuff,
    Back to work tomorrow. We'll see what tomorrow will bring.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Thank you shortstuff,
    Back to work tomorrow. We'll see what tomorrow will bring.
    Sorry to hear about your sweet pup

Vaccine safety / distribution priority

At last night's Lancaster Town Board meeting Supervisor Ron Ruffino declared he was disappointed with the bad press Lancaster received on the surge of Covid cases when in fact the surge was countywide in near the same average percentage of confirmed cases - Lancaster 49%, other municipalities 45.5%. Ruffino also ststed that within 2-1/2 weeks the number of confirmed cases increased from 587 to 1,120. No fatality number was provided.

Vaccine approval is predicted later in the week and distribution priority is uncertain. Where a higher percentage of the public is ready to accept the vaccine than early in its announcement, some are still unsure of its safety and will wait for further confirmation.

Count me in!

Demand for Covid vaccines expected to get heated — and fast

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

Initially, vaccine supplies will be tight. Federal officials plan to ship 6.4 million doses within 24 hours of FDA authorization and up to 40 million doses by the end of the year. A panel of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that the first shots go to the 21 million health care workers in the U.S. and to 3 million nursing home staff members and residents before it is rolled out to other groups based on a hierarchy of risk factors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information