Thread: Spending up 6.55% in new budget

Spending up 6.55% in new budget

From http://www.buffalonews.com/105/story/40888.html

Spending up 6.55% in new budget
    By Mary B. Pasciak NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 03/27/07 6:52 AM

The Lancaster School Board on Monday unanimously adopted a 2007-08 budget that includes a 6.55 percent spending increase.

The budget calls for the addition of a speech therapist for the district and several reading teachers at the elementary level — one each at Central Avenue, Sciole and William Street, and part-time positions at Como Park, Court Street and Hillview.

The $76.37 million spending plan will increase the amount collected in taxes by 6.1 percent. But because total assessments in Lancaster are increasing, the tax rate will go up 1.59 percent, about 25 cents per $1,000 of assessed value in the Town of Lancaster, to $15.93.

“I feel a tax increase of 1.59 [percent] is an incredible value,” said Board President Kenneth Graber.

When residents vote on the budget on May 15, they also will consider three other propositions:

• The purchase of 13 65-passenger school buses and one 18-passenger wheelchair accessible bus, for a total cost of up to $1.28 million.

The bus purchase would not affect taxes the first year, but then would add about 3 cents for every $1,000 of assessed value.

• An $11 million building renovation project, with the biggest chunk going toward roof replacements. The high school would see the biggest share, at $2.9 million, with most of that earmarked for the roof.

At the middle school, $2.07 million of work has been identified, with more than half of the cost going toward the roof.

Officials would use $2 million in EXCEL aid, a one-time state revenue, to offset the local cost. The project would increase local property taxes about 5 cents per $1,000 of assessed value for 15 years.

• The establishment of a school bus reserve fund, using money from the unappropriated fund balance. The account could not exceed $6 million.

Voters also will elect two board members. The seats of Graber and Lorraine Bona will expire at the end of June. Candidates must file petitions by 5 p.m. April 16.

Hopefully this budget gets voted down. I really don't think that my school taxes should be increasing $100 every year.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat
    Hopefully this budget gets voted down. I really don't think that my school taxes should be increasing $100 every year.
    I can almost guarantee you the budget will pass. Administrators will make a big deal about STAR, and tell you your taxes won't increase at all.

At any rate, at least your tax base is growing -- more people to share your pain.

I hope yaksplat's right but I think totalfan probably is.

I'd like to see this budget voted down. The Lancaster School district needs to control spending.

They need a private company to run the bussing. There is no reason for new buses to be purchased.

Thread Information