Thread: Lancaster 2021 Budget Update

Lancaster 2021 Budget Update

Considering the 2021 budget must be adopted by November 20th and there was nothing on the agenda that spoke to the budget, I addressed the board at the public comment session at meeting’s end.

I first asked whether there was a distinction between the terms ‘tentative budget’ and ‘preliminary budget’. It has been my understanding through the near 20 years that I spoke on budget proposals that before filing the budget the board is asked if the tentative budget meets their approval, and if not, changes are made. If approved, the tentative budget is filed, and a public hearing date is set to speak on the ‘preliminary budget’ before the board can make further changes – adjustments / amendments.

The public hearing date was set at the October 4th town board meeting for October 19th. A Legal Notice appeared in the Lancaster Bee announcing a public hearing on the ‘Preliminary’ budget. The town board agenda stated the public hearing was on the ‘Preliminary’ budget.

On Saturday, October 17th, a revised tentative budget appears on the town website. I am not informed of it until 11 am Monday, October 19th – leaving little time for examination. Unilateral changes made by the Supervisor and Budget Director. One thing was still evident, namely, both budget proposals had tax levy increases that exceeded the tax cap limit. When I comment on this at the public hearing, I am told they just realized it that day and increased the fund balance use to lower the tax levy to meet the tax cap limit.

On October 20th, the day after the public hearing, a third ‘tentative’ budget appears on the website tiled ‘Supplemental’ – a second revision with different data, still containing many errors and questionable entries and no planned public hearing to speak on ‘whatever you want to call this disaster. No 'Supplemental' version available for public hearing comment.

Council member Robert Leary requested the Supervisor hold a teleconference work session to allow the public an opportunity to listen in and get some insight as to what is discussed and what changes will be made to the budget prior to its adoption. Changes need to be made – IMHO, and in the best interest of the community.

NEXT: What makes this budget a disaster; an embarrassment!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Considering the 2021 budget must be adopted by November 20th and there was nothing on the agenda that spoke to the budget, I addressed the board at the public comment session at meeting’s end.

I first asked whether there was a distinction between the terms ‘tentative budget’ and ‘preliminary budget’. It has been my understanding through the near 20 years that I spoke on budget proposals that before filing the budget the board is asked if the tentative budget meets their approval, and if not, changes are made. If approved, the tentative budget is filed, and a public hearing date is set to speak on the ‘preliminary budget’ before the board can make further changes – adjustments / amendments.

The public hearing date was set at the October 4th town board meeting for October 19th. A Legal Notice appeared in the Lancaster Bee announcing a public hearing on the ‘Preliminary’ budget. The town board agenda stated the public hearing was on the ‘Preliminary’ budget.

On Saturday, October 17th, a revised tentative budget appears on the town website. I am not informed of it until 11 am Monday, October 19th – leaving little time for examination. Unilateral changes made by the Supervisor and Budget Director. One thing was still evident, namely, both budget proposals had tax levy increases that exceeded the tax cap limit. When I comment on this at the public hearing, I am told they just realized it that day and increased the fund balance use to lower the tax levy to meet the tax cap limit.

On October 20th, the day after the public hearing, a third ‘tentative’ budget appears on the website tiled ‘Supplemental’ – a second revision with different data, still containing many errors and questionable entries and no planned public hearing to speak on ‘whatever you want to call this disaster. No 'Supplemental' version available for public hearing comment.

Council member Robert Leary requested the Supervisor hold a teleconference work session to allow the public an opportunity to listen in and get some insight as to what is discussed and what changes will be made to the budget prior to its adoption. Changes need to be made – IMHO, and in the best interest of the community.

NEXT: What makes this budget a disaster; an embarrassment!
    Did we all misunderstand the explanations Lee?

Is it perhaps a Common Core math budget, explained in Orwellian newspeak, which is intended to be understood only if one applies doublethink?

Maybe one must hold Mr. Wozniak's "skills and thought processes" to understand this piece of fiscally conservative work?

Welcome to Lancaster's "New Normal," ala Ruffino and Cuviello, eh?

Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 3rd, 2020 at 03:21 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

I still need clarification why I was misled into thinking I was speaking on the Preliminary Budget on October 19th – which was listed on the agenda as Preliminary Budget and in the Lancaster Bee's Legal Notice section as such, and where the ‘Tentative Budget’ term is being used.in all three budget proposals.

In the past when I spoke on the ‘Preliminary Budget’ it was at a stage where the board examined the tentative budget and voiced its approval. If that happen here then it becomes filed, and a ‘Preliminary Budget' public hearing date is scheduled – no last-minute changes to be made as was done on October 17th and October 20th.

I was prepared for and set to speak on the October 1st filed budget at the October 19th public hearing, was informed the budget had been revised two days earlier (October 17th) and informed at the public hearing it was revised that very same day to meet the tax cap limit. The three versions are on the town’s website.

Budget Changes made by the Supervisor and Budget Director without the knowledge and approval of the board members as well as the public, that were not supposed to be part of the process; changes that deprived me of speaking on the 'authentic preliminary budget'.

October 1st filed budget

Budget - $35.16 million
    Tax levy - $25.35 million (6.6% increase)
    Fund Balance - $10.38 million ($9.72 + $666,376
    Fund Balance Use - $353,000

Budget proposal exceeds tax cap limit
    Budget incomplete / vague / inaccurate – no comparative budget history, missing / incorrect data, schedules, etc.

Oct 17th – Revised Budget

Budget - $35.22 million
    Tax levy - $25.04 million (5.35% increase)
    Fund Balance - $10.38 million ($9.72 + $666,376)
    Fund Balance Used - $308,000

More information reported, but data still inaccurate and Budget proposal still exceeds tax cap limit.

October 20th Supplemental Budget

Budget - $35.22 million
    Tax levy - $24.79 million (4.56% increase)
    Fund Balance - $8.65 million ($7.98 + $666,376)
    Fund Balance Used - $562,000

Budget proposal meets tax cap limit.
    $254,000 more of fund balance used - $84,000 from General Fund-Townwide, $170,000 from General Fund Town Outside Villages.
    Still too many accounting errors.

$254,000 more of the fund balance is used to lower the tax levy to meet the tax cap limit, however, within two days, from version #2 to the Supplemental proposal of October 20, the fund balance total differs by $1.73 million (from $10.38 million to $8.65 million). The public needs to hear where the money went, and what the real fund balance amount is..

Council member Robert Leary requested Supervisor Ruffino hold a teleconference work session that would allow the public an opportunity to listen in and get some insight as to what is discussed and what changes will be made to the budget prior to its adoption. Supervisor Ruffino offered no comment.

The board needs to address fund balance discrepancy, question how much there really in the fund balance, and why more fund balance cannot be used to further lower the tax levy, reducing property owner tax liability – especially at a time where COVID is impacting job loses, seniors and low-income families, and property owners experiencing large property assessment increases.

Inaccuracy examples

Budget Appropriations and Revenue totals remain the same, yet there is a near $4,000 difference between the two Appropriation numbers.

Summary of Revenues by Category numbers do not match with budget summary numbers.

Budget (Oct 20th) $35,222,525
    Total Revenues - $34,735925
    Difference - $486,600
    Fund Balance difference between October 17th and October 20th - 41.73 million.

I have no faith in the accuracy / credibility of this budget. I fail to understand why more fund balance cannot be used to further lower the tax levy (Amount to be raised by Taxation), resulting in lower property tax liability.

I am confident the board will come up with a fiscally responsible response to this budget proposal debacle. One would hope that the Supervisor would honor Council member Leary’s request for a teleconference work session that would allow public participation. Supervisor Ruffino promised openness and transparency when elected. This budget proposal has been far from that.

The contradiction between the two Fund Balance figures perplexes me:

Oct 17th – Revised Budget

Budget - $35.22 million
    Tax levy - $25.04 million (5.35% increase)
    Fund Balance - $10.38 million ($9.72 + $666,376)
    Fund Balance Used - $308,000

More information reported, but data still inaccurate and Budget proposal still exceeds tax cap limit.

October 20th Supplemental Budget

Budget - $35.22 million
    Tax levy - $24.79 million (4.56% increase)
    Fund Balance - $8.65 million ($7.98 + $666,376)
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 5th, 2020 at 10:25 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    The contradiction between the two Fund Balance figures perplexes me:

I am sure the Lancaster Bee will comment on the budget discussion during the public comment session of Monday's town board meeting.

The paper has done an excellent job of reporting on the budget disaster so far - NOT!

LMAO!

The paper has done an excellent job of reporting on the budget disaster so far - NOT!

LMAO!
    Irony aside Lee, you raised the most profound issues questions during the meeting, and I was stunned that no reference was made to your comments.

Apparently the Lancaster Bee found the revocation of a dumping permit more news worthy than a $35 million dollar budget and its tax impact on the the Lancaster taxpayers.

Special Meeting of the Town Board

A Special Meeting of the Lancaster Town Board will be held on Monday, November 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM via teleconference, to hold a Work Session to discuss the 2021 Town Budget.

To access the meeting, call 1-716-800-4267 and use Pin #1232.

It is my understanding the public will not be able to ask questions but will be able to do so at the following week’s regular scheduled meeting on November 16th.

Thank you, Councilman Leary, for requesting this work session be made public. Up till now, transparency was certainly not evident.

2021 Social Security and Medicare increases

The average Social Security recipient will receive $240 more this year with the announced 1.3% COLA increase. Some of that will be eaten up with increases in Medicare costs leaving little left to cover ever increasing day-to-day living expenses.

As for Lancaster senior taxpaying property owners experiencing significant increases in town, county, and school taxes, dipping into savings is a must – that is, if you are fortunate to have any savings – ever, or any left.

BTW – We have yet to know what our town tax liability really is. Hopefully, Monday evening’s public teleconferenced ‘special budget work session’ will reveal what the final budget will look like.

The budget’s adoption is due by November 20th and so little public interest / media attention is being paid to a budget proposal that is at this stage is a mess.

WASHINGTON (AP)Medicare's ‘Part B’ monthly premium for outpatient care will go up by $3.90 next year to $148.50, officials announced late Friday afternoon.

The bite could have been deeper. It was feared that emergency actions the government took to help stabilize the health care system in the coronavirus pandemic could have triggered large premium increases. That prompted Congress to pass bipartisan legislation that limited the increase for 2021 but would gradually collect the full amount later under a repayment mechanism.

The Part B premium is set by law to cover about 25% of the cost of Medicare's supplemental insurance for outpatient services. Inpatient care is covered by Medicare's “Part A," which is financed with payroll taxes from workers and employers.

Medicare also announced that the Part B deductible next year will be $203, an increase of $5. The deductible is the amount patients pay each year before their insurance kicks in.

The inpatient deductible will be $1,484, an increase of $76.

Most Medicare recipients rely on supplemental insurance or a Medicare Advantage plan to cover their annual deductibles.

Thread Information