Thread: ‘Because Integrity Matters’ campaign mailer

‘Because Integrity Matters’ campaign mailer

‘Because Integrity Matters’ campaign mailer

After just writing a few days ago how strange the town council campaign has been with no mailers, up pops a mailer. It is a mailer supporting candidate Michael Wozniak, has his picture on one side and the caption ‘Because Integrity Matters. On the backside it lists reasons why voters should not consider voting for opponent Dawn Gaczewski.

The individual who provided me a copy of the mailer is a Conservative Party member and asked my thoughts as I am not a Conservative Party member but a Gaczewski supporter – the genuine conservative; interviewed, vetted and endorsed by the Conservative Party. .

1. Gaczewski has voted 3 times to override the tax cap.

Not true. Twice, and both times were a proactive move to override the tax cap limit if needed, was not used and much ado about nothing. The current budget overrides the tax cap limit and if not adjusted residents will lose the State refund check.

2. Gaczewski has voted to raise your taxes three times.

Yes, she did. In the four years she served on the board my taxes went up a total of $92. Examining the current budget, best estimate is that my taxes are due to increase by $128 and if the budget doesn’t meet the tax cap limit, I will not see a refund.

3. Gaczewski has voted yes on $283,000 no bid contract to a firm whose spouse works for the town.

Indeed, as did the other board members who approved the contract satisfied with the past work of GAR – recognized as one of the best firms New York State and contracted by many other towns. Much ado about nothing.

And now Gaczewski has collected unemployment insurance payment from the Town of Lancaster Taxpayers in clear violation of NYS Law.

Don’t know where this is going as Gaczewski was not in office in 2020 and whether this relates to COVID.

Lastly, to send out a mailer captioned ‘Because of Integrity’ without any indication of submitter identity is disingenuous and lacking in integrity. In addition, its claims are either false or misleading.

At present, looking at the current budget disaster, Supervisor Ruffino could use the budget expertise of Dawn Gaczewski, not a novice Wozniak ‘yes man’.

My kingdom for a Dave Brown!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    1. Gaczewski has voted 3 times to override the tax cap.

Not true. Twice, and both times were a proactive move to override the tax cap limit if needed, was not used and much ado about nothing.
    Yes indeed. That is my understanding as well.

2. Gaczewski has voted to raise your taxes three times.

Yes, she did. In the four years she served on the board my taxes went up a total of $92. Examining the current budget, best estimate is that my taxes are due to increase by $128 and if the budget doesn’t meet the tax cap limit, I will not see a refund.
    Quite a difference between a $92 increase over four years and the $128 in one year alone, eh?

I suck at math, so do I understand this correctly: If the current tax-increase trend were to continue, at the end of four years of the lavish-spending Ruffino administration, your taxes will increase by $500?

3. Gaczewski has voted yes on $283,000 no bid contract to a firm whose spouse works for the town.

Indeed, as did the other board members who approved the contract satisfied with the past work of GAR – recognized as one of the best firms New York State and contracted by many other towns. Much ado about nothing.
    You get what you pay for, eh?

Why did the name Cuivello just enter my mind?

And now Gaczewski has collected unemployment insurance payment from the Town of Lancaster Taxpayers in clear violation of NYS Law.
    Dawn Gaczewski left government service when her term expired on December 31, 2019. As such, I see no connection to her benefits and the suggestion alleged by the mailer supporting Wozniak.

My understanding is that under normal circumstances, business owners cannot collect unemployment. However, because of the impact of Covid, the NYS Department of Labor offered Pandemic Unemployment Assistance in order to assist and address the needs of small businesses.

In any event, Ms. Gaczewski's application was granted favorable status, and in my mind, her situation raises no controversy whatsoever.

This is directly from dol.ny.gov:

Overview

If you are self-employed, an independent contractor or a farmer you may now be eligible and can file for benefits online.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance is a new federal program that is part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act that provides extended eligibility for individuals who have traditionally been ineligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits (e.g., self-employed workers, independent contractors).

You will not be eligible for PUA if you can telework, or if you are receiving paid sick leave or other paid leave benefits (regardless of meeting a category listed above).

Additionally, the CARES Act provides:

An additional $600 per week, on top of regular benefits, to all UI and PUA recipients through the week ending July 26, 2020.

An additional 13 weeks of UI benefits, beyond the regular 26 weeks already provided, for a total of up to 39 weeks of coverage.

DOL has launched an updated, streamlined online application that allows New Yorkers to apply for either traditional UI or PUA, depending on their eligibility. You do not have to complete a separate application for PUA.
    Why would that mailer, at this time of health and economic uncertainty, apparently chose to attack the owner/operator of one of Lancaster's most renowned small businesses?

Lastly, to send out a mailer captioned ‘Because of Integrity’ without any indication of submitter identity is disingenuous and lacking in integrity. In addition, its claims are either false or misleading.
    I would like to amplify your comment, INDEED!

I am curious about the mailer's reference to the word "Integrity."

First, is not that word used in the name of the new Village of Lancaster political party (Integrity Party is the name as I recall), which consists of interloping town of Lancaster Democrat residents and some rogue Republicans?

Would that not be the same party whose membership was so effective in denying the residents of the Village of Lancaster the joy of revisiting warm memories of holiday decorations of days gone by, during a very dark dark time in our existence?

Methinks perhaps I smell a little stinky collusion in the air, but what do I know?

Second, "Integrity" is a curious term for use in a mailer in support of Mike Wozniak, given the publicly acknowledged fact that Mr. Wozniak is the ideological soulmate of Supervisor Ruffino.

image - 2020-10-30T211822.989.jpg

In spite of those challenges, postponing the town's revaluation was never an option, said Lancaster Supervisor Ronald Ruffino..." Buffalo News, April 29, 2020
    How does one harmonize the use of the word "Integrity" with the Wozniak campaign?

Did not Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, who in 2019 ran for Supervisor on a platform of, and with a pledge to, undertake "fiscal conservatism," prioritize the reinstatement of the Supervisor's stipend for budget duties over all other Town business during the very first Town Council session under his control?

How does one harmonize the use of the word "Integrity" with the Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, represented himself in 2019 as "the most qualified and experienced candidate for Town of Lancaster Supervisor" with these words which were delivered by Supervisor Ruffino in connection with the Covid crisis?...

"I'm new to this" (Reference, Town Council Session, March 16, 2020)
    I certainly can commiserate with the Supervisor during a time of crisis, but was he not elected as a self-professed leader whose "qualifications and experience" were second to none?

Was he not elected based on a confidence his that words inspired?

Not only the health of children and our elderly depend on that leadership, but their entire future is reliant upon a steady hand, not wobbly knees.

Covid notwithstanding, it is apparent that Covid policy was not the only area pointing out Mr. Ruffino's apparent exaggerated self-description as "the most qualified and experienced candidate for Town of Lancaster Supervisor," and if my memory serves, the word "ever" could be added to that Ruffino comment.

This is what Supervisor Ruffino said in response to questions about his engagement of LIDA practices:

I'm still learning" and "I'll get it right..."
    Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...da-violations/

How does one harmonize the use of the word "Integrity" with the Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, with respect to the Covid restrictions, has repeatedly suggested "We are all in this together," but did Ruffino not show very little empathy and commiseration for those Lancaster residents that he leads?...

Going to get a loaf of bread at the grocery store to me is no longer essential,” Ruffino said. April 8, 2020

Lancaster Police will issue tickets and fines to those who do not comply..." April 8, Lancaster Bee

We will be punishing people not obeying this." Lancaster Sun, April 16, 2020
    image - 2020-10-30T214115.524.png

image - 2020-10-30T214138.840.png

How does one harmonize the use of the word "Integrity" with the Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, recently ran on a pledge of "transparency" and good governance only to use these words in reference to call-in participants in Town Council sessions?:

Is there a way to trace callers?" Town Council Work Session, May 4, 2020
    How does one harmonize the use of the word "integrity" with the Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, last year tell the voters "It is time our town is tuned into...the concerns of our residents," only to speak these words regarding citizen concerns about the Covid-era reassessments?:

In spite of those challenges, postponing the town's revaluation was never an option, said Lancaster Supervisor Ronald Ruffino..." Buffalo News, April 29, 2020
    ruffino and ticket 2019 1014 (1).jpg

In my opinion, that mailer was a smear based on flawed logic, twisted facts, and in one case, something akin to either a horrible error or an outright lie. It seems to me that the use of the word "Integrity" in connection with the mailer is oxymoronic.

Ergo, that mailer discredited itself and needs no further comment from me.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 30th, 2020 at 10:12 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Corrections To Post #2:

Correction #1

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    How does one harmonize the use of the word "Integrity" with the Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, represented himself in 2019 as "the most qualified and experienced candidate for Town of Lancaster Supervisor" with these words which were delivered by Supervisor Ruffino in connection with the Covid crisis?...
    I'm new to this" (Reference, Town Council Session, March 16, 2020)
    Correction:

How does one harmonize the use of the word "Integrity" with the Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, who represented himself in 2019 as "the most qualified and experienced candidate for Town of Lancaster Supervisor," yet spoke these words as Supervisor in connection with the Covid crisis?...

I'm new to this" (Reference, Town Council Session, March 16, 2020)
    Correction #2:

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    How does one harmonize the use of the word "integrity" with the *Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, last year tell the voters "It is time our town is tuned into...the concerns of our residents," only to speak these words regarding citizen concerns about the Covid-era reassessments?:

Correction:

How does one harmonize the use of the word "integrity" with the Wozniak campaign, when Mr. Wozniak's ideological soulmate Mr. Ruffino, last year told the voters "It is time our town is tuned into...the concerns of our residents," only to speak these words regarding citizen concerns about the Covid-era reassessments?:
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 30th, 2020 at 11:12 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Click on attachment:

image - 2020-10-31T101403.981.jpg

To whomever sent out the mailer:

From the desk of Gov. Cuomo ...

Notice to Filers Regarding Changes to New York State Election Law Relating to Political Advertisements

As a result of the passage of A4668/S4910 which was signed into law by Governor Cuomo as Chapter 454 of the Laws of 2019 on November 8, 2019, all candidates and political committees should be aware that all political communications (i.e. political advertisements) must contain a disclosure identifying the political committee that paid for the political communication, as follows:

• All political communications must identify the political committee paying for the advertisement or communication in a clear and prominent manner to read or be spoken as follows: “Paid for by [the name of the political committee making the expenditure].” Election Law §14-106(2).

• The disclosure shall be required on all modes of political communications including, but not limited to, brochures, flyers, posters, mailing, or internet advertisements, radio, television, and automated telephone calls.

• Promotional items which support a particular candidate, election or ballot measure or issue and limit the content to the name, office and brief message of support are exempt from this requirement. Promotional items are items of nominal value that are distributed to the general public including, but not limited to, pens, bumper stickers, yard signs, buttons, shirts, bags or balloons. Election Law §14-106(3).

• Digital media which limits the content of communication to name, office and brief message and which is unable to contain the “paid for by” statemen due to its small size may comply with this requirement by containing a link to another webpage where the “paid for by” statement is prominently displayed. Election Law §14-106(4).

• Independent Expenditure committees must comply with this requirement in addition to existing disclosure requirements regarding political communications for such committees. Election Law §14-107(2).

• Applies to all political communications made on or after January 1, 2020.

Tracing Mail Permits

Take a piece of mail bearing a mail permit imprint to the post office and ask the postal worker to trace the mail permit number. You will need to verify that you are either the bearer of the mail permit--the sender--or the recipient of the piece of mail bearing the mail permit. Bring photo identification with you. The post office will be able to trace the mail permit number for you.
    Reference: https://classroom.synonym.com/how-to...-12084499.html

That reminds me, methinks I need a book of stamps.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 31st, 2020 at 10:29 AM.

If the salacious mailer can be traced back to sender, I would relish hearing who the sender is and who was targeted.

It was certainly not sent by the Republican Party. Not by the Conservative Party that interviewed, vetted, and endorsed Gaczewski.

If it was found that it came from the Democratic Party at the 11th hour to discredit Gaczewski, it backfired in my opinion. It not only mistakenly attacks Gaczewski’s budget voting record and the tax increasing budgets she voted approval for, the mailer comes at a time when the Democratic Party’s figure head, Supervisor Ruffino, has proposed a budget that is the worst budget I have witnessed in the 20 years I have been following town budgets – a debacle, an embarrassment!

This scurrilous mailer takes to task an opposing candidate who for four years assisted in budget processes that followed required procedural guidelines, met the tax cap limit and still resulted in four years of reasonably low tax increases. Mr. Wozniak has yet to be heard offering any comment on the current budget fiasco.

Hopefully, the voters will not be influenced by this deceitful piece of trash and vote for the most qualified and experienced candidate – especially needed at a time like this. Ms. Gaczewski has the balls (well, not really) to act independently. Can you say that about Wozniak? I think not.

Please quit acting like we/you dont know this flyer is a typical tactic of the Lancaster Democrat Committee controllers. Its been a last minute thing they have done for years.
    Just like Halloween marks the start of tearing down opponents campaign signs -

The nastiness in Lancaster elections has always mirrored the #DemControllers National tactics -
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    Please quit acting like we/you dont know this flyer is a typical tactic of the Lancaster Democrat Committee controllers. Its been a last minute thing they have done for years.

The nastiness in Lancaster elections has always mirrored the #DemControllers National tactics -
    Indeed, it has been their playbook for years. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

Pulling down Republican signs is also a trademark of the local Dems.

But to be honest, both the Dems and Reps have put both out a lot of false and misleading mailers in the past. The town Republican and Conservative Parties by virtue of not putting out any literature to discredit their opponent this year have not only kept themselves out of harms way, it was a way of showing confidence their candidate has the qualifications and experience to regain the open town council seat. Gaczewski is that person.

The Dems know that and is why they endorsed her in 2016 and with the party mantra that they had chosen the best candidates. Then again, the Democratic Party Chair back then was booted out and replaced with one with a different agenda.

In fact, it was well known that Ruffino wanted to be endorsed for Supervisor by the Lancaster Democratic Party in 2016. When it was announced then Town Clerk Johanna why she accepted the endorsement, her words were: "Because we don't have anyone else."

Coleman ran a good ship, an admirable job as Town Supervisor. Put out a good budget as well - but not according to Ruffino who voted against its adoption 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post

It's a tactic ran by the the Republicans if you recall in 2017 when Leary and Dickman were running for councilmen.
    The Republicans put out a flyer that falsely stated that the taxes had risen 99.72% between the years 2008 and 2018
    when the actual increase was 28.8%.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It's a tactic ran by the the Republicans if you recall in 2017 when Leary and Dickman were running for councilmen.
    The Republicans put out a flyer that falsely stated that the taxes had risen 99.72% between the years 2008 and 2018
    In my opinion, there big difference between a slickly word mailer which shades sentences about government process and this year's mailer which seems to attack a small business owner, is there not?

Why did the mailer attack the owner of a small business for a legitimate exercise of her rights?

What happened to "We are all in this together?"

Does Covid only effect the Supervisor and his patronage buddies?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 2nd, 2020 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Ah, they all lie, Gorga. When they do, if they address where the mailer is coming from, you can hold them accountable.

If someone attacks your credibility and does so anonymously, do you think that's fair? That wouldn't piss you off?

Not one positive thing on that mailer that makes Wozniak a person with integrity, just trash-talking the opponent. In fact, if I were Wozniak I would be pissed at the sender as that did not put him in a positive light.

Just curious Gorga - was the "Republican" mailer complete with the composers or party name - if you still have it what was the PO box number !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thread Information