Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York going broke..

New York going broke..

New York State government may be facing a possible shutdown by Tuesday morning if an appropriations bill is not passed in the State Legislature...

This is what is posted on the NYSUI web site.

What else will be affected if the State actually goes bankrupt?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Think about it this way. What would you notice any different?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Think about it this way. What would you notice any different?
    Well my sister collects unemployment ins during the Summer months while her head start program she is employed by goes on summer break. They dont fall under the same category as public school teachers, but when she looked on the UI website it stated that if the State goes bankrupt, then all unemployment payments will stop. How many people are on UI in this State right now that will find themselves suddenly not getting the payments they are making due with? What about other State funded programs?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    Well my sister collects unemployment ins during the Summer months while her head start program she is employed by goes on summer break. They dont fall under the same category as public school teachers, but when she looked on the UI website it stated that if the State goes bankrupt, then all unemployment payments will stop. How many people are on UI in this State right now that will find themselves suddenly not getting the payments they are making due with? What about other State funded programs?
    Instead of unemployment why doesn't she get a job for the summer? I see loads of signs at fast food place and other businesses.

Instead of unemployment why doesn't she get a job for the summer? I see loads of signs at fast food place and other businesses.
    Because she has 3 kids all of school age and too young to stay home alone so she works when they are in school and her child care expences would be far more than she could possibly earn from her "summer" job paying if she is lucky a whole of $8 an hour...thats why...

Unless of course she risks it and leaves them home alone to fend for themselves and possibly have a wild party or drown in the pool... but hey better than going on unemployment for 3 months right?

And that would be the inflatable pool she got at wally world.. in case you suggest she sell the aluminum from the pool for scrap value.

Just answered my own question...

In Albany, Questions on Averting a Shutdown
    By NICHOLAS CONFESSORE
    Published: June 13, 2010
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Recommend
    Sign In to E-Mail

Print

Reprints

CloseLinkedinDiggMixxMySpaceYahoo! BuzzPermalink ALBANY — State leaders said on Sunday that they expected to pass another short-term emergency spending bill on Monday, averting a government shutdown, though they could not say exactly how they would muster enough votes in the narrowly divided State Senate to do so.

At the same time, negotiations over a broader budget deal appeared to have broken down anew, with Gov. David A. Paterson resisting a legislative proposal to cancel some of his proposed school cuts in exchange for accepting an administration proposal to eliminate a pool of unrestricted aid to New York City.

“There have been all sorts of rumors that we’re close to a deal,” Mr. Paterson told reporters in his office on Sunday. “I don’t see that.”

On Friday, in a sign of lingering uncertainty over the emergency spending bill, officials at the state’s major agencies began circulating instructions to some of the state’s roughly 200,000 workers detailing how to manage a shutdown. But major questions remained at many agencies as to what operations they would be permitted to continue.

Mr. Paterson and the leaders of the Legislature cannot agree on how to close about $2 billion of a more than $9 billion budget gap projected for the year.

Like last week’s emergency bill, the one to be voted on Monday contains not only appropriations for a week of government operations, but also a portion of Mr. Paterson’s executive budget proposal for the year. If approved, it would cut some $175 million in spending on social services, including a state subsidy to the New York City Housing Authority, and an additional $151 million from programs for the mentally ill and for drug addicts.

At least one Democratic senator, Rubén Díaz Sr., said on Sunday that he would not vote for the emergency bill if it contained Mr. Paterson’s budget cuts.

“I’m not voting for it; I’m a Democrat,” said Mr. Díaz, whose Bronx district is among the poorest in the state. “Democrats are supposed to be the defender and the protector of the poor and the needy. Let the Republicans cut. I am not cutting any more.”

The Democrats have a narrow 32-to-30 majority in the Senate, and it takes 32 votes to pass legislation like the spending bill. Without Mr. Diaz, that means the bill could pass only with the support of some Republicans, who have voted unanimously against the last few emergency bills.

State Senator Roy J. McDonald, a Republican from the Albany region, suggested on Sunday that he might be willing to vote for an emergency bill, but that he would have to see the final version on Monday before deciding. “I don’t want to see government shut down,” he said. “I’m going to be very reasonable, but I have to go in there and be the loyal opposition. I won’t do anything to hurt my community.”

A shutdown — which officials said had never before happened in New York — could prove catastrophic for the state, which has been functioning without a regular budget since the new fiscal year began April 1.

It would mean that New York’s agencies would not be permitted to pay salaries or issue unemployment benefits to some half a million New Yorkers. Aides to Mr. Paterson have concluded that the state would have to close most of its offices immediately, as well as courts and parks; shut down the state lottery; and cease local assistance payments to municipal governments. Notwithstanding a flurry of stimulus-related construction projects, the state would also be unable to pay contractors.

“We are not going to shut down government and risk the safety and livelihood of millions of New Yorkers,” Austin Shafran, a spokesman for the Senate Democratic leader, John L. Sampson, said in a statement released on Sunday. “As we continue to make progress on a final budget, we expect to pass the emergency extender and meet taxpayers’ needs.”

A legislative official involved in negotiations on the budget said that the Assembly and Senate had presented Mr. Paterson with the school aid plan on Friday after being encouraged by the administration earlier in the week. The plan would allow many suburban school districts to reduce property tax bills. But after seeing the plan, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, Mr. Paterson insisted on further concessions, including the Assembly’s approval of his plan to reorganize the state university system.

a half a million New Yorkers are on uneployment... do you think there are a half a million fast food jobs out there?
    Last edited by Rhiannon; June 14th, 2010 at 06:12 PM.

New York State government may be facing a possible shutdown by Tuesday morning if an appropriations bill is not passed in the State Legislature...

This is what is posted on the NYSUI web site.

What else will be affected if the State actually goes bankrupt?

A state can't go bankrupt... a shut down is another thing.
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Because she has 3 kids all of school age and too young to stay home alone so she works when they are in school and her child care expences would be far more than she could possibly earn from her "summer" job paying if she is lucky a whole of $8 an hour...thats why...

Unless of course she risks it and leaves them home alone to fend for themselves and possibly have a wild party or drown in the pool... but hey better than going on unemployment for 3 months right?

And that would be the inflatable pool she got at wally world.. in case you suggest she sell the aluminum from the pool for scrap value.
    Why doesn't she take her 10 month salary and budget it for 12 months?
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

It doesn't look to me like bankruptcy is looming:

Republicans Claim Albany Shut Down Today Unlikely

Monday, June 14, 2010

By Karen DeWitt: Albany reporter, WNYC radio

Republican senators say government will not be shut down when the state’s temporary budget extenders expire later today, and indicate that they will provide enough votes to help Democrats keep things running.

Senate GOP Leader Dean Skelos says some of his members will provide the votes to help Democrats approve the latest budget extender to keep the state running.
    “The bottom line is, nobody wants to have a government shutdown,” Skelos says.
    At least one Democratic senator has said he won’t vote for the measures because they cut too much money to welfare programs and services for the mentally ill and the disabled. The two GOP senators voting for the bill Monday, Sen. Hugh Farley of Schenectady and Sen. Roy McDonald of Saratoga, say they have too many state workers as constituents that would be harmed if there was a government shut down.
    But Senators Farley and McDonald say they might change their minds in the future if Gov. David Paterson tries to put new taxes into his extender bills. That could lead to another round of brinksmanship later this month.

The Republicans did say that they would vote no if any new taxes or fees were added. It looks like they were indeed added. We will see what happens!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Mega friggen BINGO. And I am PAYING for those kids.
    Send those little ****s over to clean my gutters (I am learning to hate maple trees).
    I live responsibly and am charged for those who don't.
    This CRAP has to stop.
    Last edited by Effigy; June 14th, 2010 at 07:29 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin

You didn't mention if the father could baby sit or parents.

then be a good sister and babysit for her.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

You didn't mention if the father could baby sit or parents.
    He works at Kodak and has had a huge paycut to even keep his job.. he is making almost half of what he made 10 years ago... or he would have lost his job. and he works twice as many hours just to keep up the pace..

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    Mega friggen BINGO. And I am PAYING for those kids.
    Send those little ****s over to clean my gutters (I am learning to hate maple trees).
    I live responsibly and am charged for those who don't.
    This CRAP has to stop.
    Do you really want 12 and 6 yr olds climbing ladders on your house and cleaning your gutters?

There was a time when my sister didnt have to work and she stayed home and took care of other peoples kids so they could work. You are barking up the wrong entitlement tree.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue View Post
    then be a good sister and babysit for her.
    I would but I too work and she lives in Rochester...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information