Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Village of Lancaster Political Party?

A New Village of Lancaster Political Party?

Just Asking For Information:

A friend received what appeared to be an invitation, illustrated below, to attend a purported "Meet and Greet" meeting of a what may be a developing new political party in the Village of Lancaster.

Does any reader have any information about any such purported party, its organizers, its leadership, and any follow-up meeting to the purported "Meet and Greet?"

If any such a party actually has been formed, how does one investigate its philosophy and purpose, and perhaps join that new party?

If you do not want to post the information on this thread, please send me a private message.

Since 1993 the Citizens Party has controlled village government.
    Isn't it time for a change?

On Tuesday March 16th, 2021 village voters will head to the polls to elect a mayor, (2) trustees and the village justice. The office of mayor has not been contested since 1997.

We recently formed the Integrity Party to give village voters a voice in village government, a voice that has been silent for too long.

Government functions best under a two party system, there hasn't been an opposition party in nearly 25 years.
    Isn't time for a change?

On Wednesday September 23rd the Integrity Party of the Village of Lancaster will hold our first meeting at Skoob's beginning at 6:00pm.

This is a meet and greet with no formal agenda planned.

We will provide Pizza, Wings, Beer and Pop in appreciation for everyone taking the time to join us. We pledge to only hold meetings when necessary, elect the best and the brightest candidates, no bylaws, membership dues or mandatory attendance.

Everyone is welcome regardless of your political affiliation or beliefs. We are a diverse group of Republicans, Democrats, Independents concerned about the future of our community - joining together to bring change to village government.

So please find time to stop in and join us as we plan the future of Lancaster Village Government.
    We promise an enjoyable evening of friendship, food and drink!

Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 24th, 2020 at 10:25 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Hey Mark, if my memory serves me correct, didn't Russ Sugg organize a new party back in the day for the Village of Lancaster?

I do not know how Russ Sugg's past political activity can possibly have any relevance to this thread, but in the interests of testing the history teacher's memory, yea, I think, if my memory is correct, that you may be right that Russ formed a true reform party intended to stand in opposition to the existing "power" party that existed at that time.

If I also remember correctly, Russ was pretty much a one-man movement; a truly noble, principled, and well-intentioned maverick, with perhaps an opportunistic tag-along in 2013, do I have my facts correct shortstuff?

Perhaps of more relevance to this thread and the 2020 world in which we live, is my understanding and opinion that the "power party" and structure that Russ challenged had its origins with Peoples Party, that brought Cansdale into power in 1993, am I not correct?

Since 1993, I understand that the Peoples Party has re-branded itself, perhaps in the interests of opportunism, perhaps in reaction to some members held in the ruling clique's disfavor, or perhaps just to create mischief, under various labels, but with the same old core-power players, clique if you will, running things, am I correct on that understanding?

Does that answer your question?

What that said shortstuff, the intention of this thread is to gather information about this new party, not to resurrect past noble attempts at reform.

Now, more relevant, do you have any information about the subject of this thread, this purported new party?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 24th, 2020 at 01:06 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Hey Mark, if my memory serves me correct, didn't Russ Sugg organize a new party back in the day for the Village of Lancaster?
    That was the "Integrity of Choice" party

Georgia L Schlager

Re-branding itself? Clarification please. I am not a resident of the Village of Lancaster, have no standing, but interested in what context you use the word as I have never heard of the Citizen’s Party referred to by any other label.

However, like you infer, will this be a new party devoid of all current Citizen’s Party board members, or an attempt to oust a current member in the coming March election?

I ask because as a Town of Lancaster resident I received my first absentee ballot and was disappointed to see that I would have to vote for my Town Council candidate choice on a major party line (which I abhor doing) because the endorsed Conservative Party candidate was challenged by the endorsed Democratic candidate in the primary and lost the endorsement by less than 20 votes.

Dawn Gaczewski was interviewed by the Conservative Party Committee, vetted, and endorsed because she was found to hold conservative values. Mike Wozniak, a registered Democrat who up until his recent registration change to the Conservative Party that would allow him to challenge Gaczewski for the Conservative ballot line, served as a Democratic Committee member for years. Wozniak who claims now to be the ‘official’ endorsed Conservative Party candidate never petitioned the Conservative Party committee for an interview, was not vetted, and not considered deserving of being labeled a conservative.

I would vote on the Independence Party line, but Wozniak has been endorsed by that party, which was quite surprising, and supposedly as a favor to a high-ranking county operative. Oh well, that’s politics!

As a lifelong ‘blank’ I abhor voting for a candidate on either the Democratic or Republican line, however, I find it even more disturbing when a voter chooses party affiliation over candidate qualifications / agenda.

BTW- The reference to one party Village rule sine 1993 is interesting in that the town has been likewise under Democratic Party control since 1996, and in fact, with the exception of one Republican Party administration (1992-1996) for the past 70 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Re-branding itself? Clarification please. I am not a resident of the Village of Lancaster, have no standing, but interested in what context you use the word as I have never heard of the Citizen’s Party referred to by any other label.
    Lee,

I think I have my history correct, so bear with me.

The village has always been controlled by two organizations consisting of major party players. Each of those parties appeared to be a blend of Democrats and Republicans. Each village party seemed to serve as a bi-partisan bastion of the competing wings of each party.

For example, throughout the 1960s and throughout most the 1970s, the village possessed to parties: The Independent Party, and if memory serves, The Progressive Party.

Back in those days, the Progressive Party seemed to be home to Republicans and Democrats who were disaffected with their own party(s); if you will, the rogue elements of the major parties. Successes for The Progressive Party were few and far between throughout the 1960's and early 1970's.

It was the Independent Party, with the blended talents of the major party establishment players, that held the high cards and pretty much controlled the village, actually through the 1980s.

To illustrate by examples the make-up of the Independent Party, Howard Benson, the long-time village mayor of the Independent Party wore a Republican collar; Walter Ciszewski a long-time Independent village trustee wore a Democrat collar. While the Progressive Party occasionally picked-off a VOL seat during the 1960s and early 1970s, The Independent Party seemingly held iron-fisted control in the VOL until 1973, which was the year Progressive Rozler unseated Independent Benson.

Rozler held the seat for only one term, and the Independent Party returned to power in 1977.

After the Rozler tenure, the Progressive Party seemingly became the People's Party. That new party had political talent and rose to prominence with the very close election of March, 1979 when Darlene Humphrey came within a handful of votes of ousting a long-time Independent incumbent*for a VOL Board seat.

Starting in 1981, the "Peoples Party" had a terrific run; they held board control and the Village Justice position. In 1985 the Peoples Party elected a mayor, who served for one term. However, after that election, the Peoples Party kind of crashed and burned, and in 1989, the Independent Party made a resurgence with the election of a mayor.

That new mayor in part for reasons of personality, but in large measure for reasons of ill-timed advocacy, entirely discredited himself when he prematurely pitched a police merger through popular referendum in the late spring of 1990. Village residents overwhelmingly rejected the merger, and discredited that mayor.

The Peoples Party, exploited the Independence Party screw-up, and apparently rebranded itself as the Citizen's Party and seized control in 1993.
    Since then, the Citizens Party has held near-exclusive control.

IMHO, the Citizens Party since 1993, seemingly has become home to a myriad of politically well-connected residents, who it would seem, gratefully attended, and continue to attend, the whims and wishes of one controlling boss; an opportunistic sort who in my opinion, who holds no readily discernible philosophical values; whose sole purpose and* passions seem to reside in the greedy world of self-enrichment; and appears to me to be a power-obsessed actor, who posses savant-quality talents when it comes to scheming and manipulation.

William G. Cansdale Jr., the Village of Lancaster’s mayor since 1993, resigned his position on Monday night to become the village’s superintendent of public works.

Reference:https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...village-mayor/

In that connection, perhaps the label "Integrity Party" may be just an exercise in political gimmickry; a shallow, superficial illusion of reform, applied to disguise a distasteful application of raw political warfare, which can be metaphorically likened to Stalinist politics?

But why such shenanigans?

Perhaps the New Republican Party did not grant the prime village power actor its 2019 endorsement for Supervisor or Town Council, so penalize the New Republicans?

Maybe such an endeavor is undertaken to undermine and discredit the Mayor of the Village, who, as Mayor, IMHO, has been very competent, skillful, and attendant to the needs of his residents?

Or, perhaps is it just another play from the Town Democrats' tactics manual, form-fit to the 2020 Town Council campaign: a component tactic to the more broad effort to spitefully reduce the candidacy of Dawn Gaczewski, through the advancement of a disingenuous narrative touting the so-called strong conservative credentials of her opponent?

In that connection, for a new party that purportedly welcomes "all political affiliations," why does it seem that the Conservative Party has been specifically excluded from the "diverse group" which is planning the "future of Lancaster Village Government."

So please find time to stop in and join us as we plan the future of Lancaster Village Government.
    Wow, could not one read that as "Come watch as our cliquey group decides your future?"

I am curious to know the roster of the Republican, Democrats, and Independents who attended that meeting, and if the planning group and its invitees included non-village residents, who really are not full stakeholders in village affairs?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 25th, 2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I do not know how Russ Sugg's past political activity can possibly have any relevance to this thread, but in the interests of testing the history teacher's memory, yea, I think, if my memory is correct, that you may be right that Russ formed a true reform party intended to stand in opposition to the existing "power" party that existed at that time.

If I also remember correctly, Russ was pretty much a one-man movement; a truly noble, principled, and well-intentioned maverick, with perhaps an opportunistic tag-along in 2013, do I have my facts correct shortstuff?

Perhaps of more relevance to this thread and the 2020 world in which we live, is my understanding and opinion that the "power party" and structure that Russ challenged had its origins with Peoples Party, that brought Cansdale into power in 1993, am I not correct?

Since 1993, I understand that the Peoples Party has re-branded itself, perhaps in the interests of opportunism, perhaps in reaction to some members held in the ruling clique's disfavor, or perhaps just to create mischief, under various labels, but with the same old core-power players, clique if you will, running things, am I correct on that understanding?

Does that answer your question?

What that said shortstuff, the intention of this thread is to gather information about this new party, not to resurrect past noble attempts at reform.

Now, more relevant, do you have any information about the subject of this thread, this purported new party?

Well the reason I mentioned it was perhaps that is the party you might be asking about, since you asked about a new party. So I thought, maybe it is that party. Russ Sugg was an amazing person. He would have made a great Mayor.

Well the reason I mentioned it was perhaps that is the party you might be asking about, since you asked about a new party.
    Nah, that's an old party shortstuff.

Russ Sugg was an amazing person.
    "Was?"

Yikes, I am pretty sure that he still is.

In the last four hours or so, I have received information from multiple sources concerning Supervisor Ruffino, Vice Chair Giza and Trustee Ruda.

IMHO, Ruffino's presence would be very perplexing.

Is anyone aware of suggestions such attendees, or, can anyone actually confirm their presence at the meeting?

Also, from sources, I understand that a high-level VOL official was denied participation in that meeting. Any information on that?

Nah, that's an old party shortstuff.

"Was?"

Yikes, I am pretty sure that he still is.
    How silly of me, yes I agree I meant "is" .. I was referring to the past tense when expressing my thoughts. BUT another error of mine, he ran for Legislator against Monica L. How I wished he had won that race. I am not sure if he ran for Mayor at some point. I know he was thinking about it.

In the last four hours or so, I have received information from multiple sources concerning Supervisor Ruffino, Vice Chair Giza and Trustee Ruda.

IMHO, Ruffino's presence would be very perplexing.

Is anyone aware of suggestions such attendees, or, can anyone actually confirm their presence at the meeting?

Also, from sources, I understand that a high-level VOL official was denied participation in that meeting. Any information on that?
    Wait Mark, are you really talking about rumors on here? LOL I would be curious about that question too...

Wait Mark, are you really talking about rumors on here? LOL I would be curious about that question too...
    Indeed shortstuff, I am curious.

I have watched VOL political parties over the years, and in the distant past, have participated in such politics.

Those parties have always been a complicated mix of civic concern, social advancement, self-interest, and political advantage. In that regard, I want to know just what this so-called new party would offer taxpayers, myself included, who sign a hefty tax check each year, and that does not count the "water" or "sewer line" fees.

I have been burned many times in the past to buy into what may actually be only political manipulation and a not-so-clever superficial PR scheme.

I had egg on my face when I bought into the Peoples Party's 1979-1985 self-presentation as a rather populist movement, purportedly standing in contrast to the Independent Party which during the 1970s, had become entirely unresponsive to constituent needs. Originally, the Peoples Party seemingly offered some fresh faces and bold ideas, but it soon became evident to many supporters, myself included, that we were just being played by competing political and social factions and actors.

To our disdain, the Peoples Party rewarded us with what might be termed an administration of "questionable character," and a VOL Board which imposed a rather disturbing "water meter" changed which directly impacted the physical structure of the home.

Furthermore, on the issue of local neighborhood deterioration, the perception of the Peoples Party as a populist organization quickly dissipated, and that party, IMHO, was only the reverse side of the same coin.

The only player offered by the Peoples Party which I still value today remains Judge Detzler.

In 1989 when many reached for an antidote to remedy the Peoples Party, we were rewarded with a back-to-the future Independent Party bunch that quickly squandered its good will by dividing the village with the advancement of a premature police merger plan.

Nah, I have been burned way too many times in the past, and that is why I am asking these questions. I am hearing whispers, leers, growls and snickers, so in that connection, I want to know what this purported new party is all about. Based on past performances and historic trends, I am inclined to think that this so-called "new party" may in fact be rooted in some sort of self-interest and political shenanigans.

I really do not want, or need, anymore high-profile manipulative political drama, disguising itself as a transparent, grassroots reform movement, especially if it involves Lancaster's premier thespian. I certainly would resent paying a significant, future tax bill which may in reality, only serve as the price of admission to an encore performance of "Theater-In-The-Roundabout."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 26th, 2020 at 09:49 AM.

If in fact Ron Ruffino was present at this meeting, and is a member of this group, I must ask what interests does a non-VOL resident have in village politics? After all, the village is a component subdivision of the town, not the other way around.

It seems to me that the exertion of the Supervisor's influence should be take place within the proper scope of his town duties, and not as a direct planner for the village's future. Any such decisions should properly reside with the village residents and taxpayers, just my opinion of course.

Furthermore, if in fact Supervisor Ruffino was present, does it not appear that Mr. Ruffino, who has previously spent so much time and effort touting superficial conservative credentials and engaging the Conservative Party membership for his own electoral purposes, either supports, or is part of, a group that appears to have perhaps intentionally marginalized Conservative Party participation in that exact same group?

If in fact Ron Giza was present at the meeting, and is a member of this group, should I not find irony in the purported name "Integrity Party?..."

Two Lancaster residents were arrested Monday and charged with promoting gambling and possession of gambling records.

Paul Rath, 31, of 5440 Broadway and Ronald Giza, 33, of 61 Lombardy St. were arraigned before Lancaster Village Justice Ann Detzler and released on their own recognizance.

The arrests followed a lengthy investigation by Town and Village of Lancaster police and Lt. Vance Scioli of the Village of Depew police. Police accused Rath of running a bookmaking operation from his apartment over the Lancaster Boys & Girls Club on Broadway. According to police, gambling records and $2,500 in cash were seized from Rath's apartment in a raid last week.

https://buffalonews.com/1992/03/16/2...ting-gambling/
    Enough said about that, because, if in fact Mayor Cansdale's rumored presence is true, is that not perplexing?

Did not Ron Giza's father literally humiliate the then-Mayor who conveniently morphed into a highly compensated self-appointed Public Works Department head, in the 2003 election for Supervisor?

From The Buffalo News...

BOARD MEMBERS' FAMILY ACCUSED OF INFILTRATING PARTY

By NIKI CERVANTES AND HAROLD MCNEIL and NIKI CERVANTES AND ANTHONY CARDINALE and NIKI CERVANTES AND BECKY OSVATH and NIKI CERVANTES AND JANE KWIATKOWSKI and LOU MICHEL AND NIKI CERVANTES and JERRY ZREMSKI AND NIKI CERVANTES and LEN DELMAR AND NIKI CERVANTES and MARY PASCIAK AND NIKI CERVANTES and NIKI CERVANTES and NIKI CERVANTES AND ELMER PLOETZ |

Published Thu, Jul 31, 2003

The surprise defections to a rival political party by the wife of Lancaster's supervisor and the wife and daughter of two allies has set off a round of angry finger-pointing and accusations.

But it is not Supervisor Robert H. Giza, a Democrat, who is upset by his wife's decision to switch political allegiances.

The one feeling betrayed here is Hank Gull, the leader of the town's Independence Party -- and an unabashed Giza detractor.

Much to Gull's dismay, his party now counts Giza's wife, Carol, as one of its newer members. Joining her are Michele Montour, the wife of Councilman Mark Montour, and Danielle Ruffino, the daughter of Councilman Ronald Ruffino.

"They are infiltrators," Gull said of the women. "They were deployed on the slim chance that they might be able to do some good later on. It is very devious."

Both Giza and Ruffino denied that allegation. Montour did not return calls to comment.

"My wife isn't political," Giza said. "She just wanted to be Independence. This is America. You can join any political party you want."

Gull says the new members managed to get enough signatures to force the Independence Party's endorsed candidates into a potentially damaging primary Sept. 9.

Now Lancaster Mayor William G. Cansdale, a Republican running against Giza in the November election, will have to fight to retain the Independence Party line against Nicholas Sherwood, a Depew village trustee.

And the party's two endorsed candidates for the town board, Daniel R. Centinello and Kenneth L.O'Brien III, will run against Michael Myszka.

Both Sherwood and Myszka were leaders in the Independence Party before Gull took over. He accuses them of joining forces with the Democrats in an effort to regain control of the party.
    "It's a contrivance, that's for sure," he said.

Neither Sherwood nor Myszka could be reached to comment.

After learning there would be a primary, Gull said he checked the party's registration rolls and learned that the three women had all joined in October, within 12 days of each other.

They were part of a wave of 40 new members who had joined since 2002 alone, more than two-thirds of them Democrats and 20 of whom had registered in October, according to Board of Elections records.

Giza said the timing of his wife's registration was a coincidence, and that his wife had no idea Michele Montour or Danielle Ruffino had also joined.

Cansdale -- widely considered the strongest opponent Giza has faced in years -- said he believed the family members had been sent to the Independence Party to force him into a primary.

"I think they're there to make mischief," he said.

The flap underscores the importance of the town's minor parties in the election this fall. The race for supervisor in particular is expected to be so close that either the Independence Party or Conservative Party could bring in the winner.

The Independence Party has 727 members, according to the Board of Elections, or 2.87 percent of the registered voters. The Conservative Party has 669 members, or 2.64 percent.

Overall, 41 percent of the voters in Lancaster are Democrats; 30 percent are Republicans. Almost 23 percent of the voters are unaffiliated.

e-mail: ncervantes@buffnews.com
    I am interested to know what on earth could bridge the gap of that seeming 2003 political tension?

Then there is Trustee Ruda, whom I perceive to be fresh off the stage from her majority-acclaimed performance in "Theater In The Roundabout."

What's next for her?

Perhaps a Lancaster rendition of Shakespear's Julius Ceasar, with Ruda playing the role of Portia, perhaps to the reluctant former Mayor Maute's role of Brutus?

More appropriately, would not Cansdale be the perfect Cassius, ya know what I mean?

Perhaps Ron Giza is the natural choice to play Quintus Ligarius? ( For the less sophisticated reader, Ligarius, whose previous transgressions were masterfully defended by Cicero, was pardoned by Roman authorities, and permitted back into the inner circles of power, only to become one of Caesar's assassins.)

And, who better than Ron Ruffino to play the role of the transformative Mark Anthony; he seems to have the military leader's temperament with all of his recently-threatened COVID punishments?

Ah, beware the Ides of March, and November!

Those planners best keep that soothsayer out of their inner councils, because he just may reveal a plot.

Would not Art Herdizk make a magnificent Soothsayer?

Personally, I think Schroeder would look lousy wearing a toga and the Imperial Laurel, just my opinion of course, but what do I know?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 26th, 2020 at 01:06 PM.

Enjoyed reading the past 30 years of the VOL political party history, Mark. From all you have written and from personal involvement in the town and village politics, this is my perspective. BTW- rebranding, excellent verbiage.

The Integrity Party invite read:

Everyone is welcome regardless of your political affiliation or beliefs. We are a diverse group of Republicans, Democrats, Independents concerned about the future of our community - joining together to bring change to village government.

Ah, the plot thickens!

Everyone welcome, except conservatives and the Chair of the Citizens’ Party.

Everyone welcome I would have to believe refers to only Village of Lancaster (VOL) resident voters. I understand Village Attorney Art Herdzik appeared but was not welcomed to stay. Understandable in one way as he is no longer a resident of the VOL, but then neither is Town Of Lancaster Supervisor Ron Ruffino. And, Herdzik to my knowledge is still VOL counsel.

Shortly after being elected Village Trustees 4 years ago, Citizen Party candidates Maute and Ruda stopped attending Citizen Party meetings. Doesn't this 'new party' creation not imply Ruda will be challenging Schroeder for Mayor and that Maute will run for Trustee on the Integrity Party line?

How ironic that the new party touts that the Village has been strapped with only one-party representation since 1993 when it did everything possible to eliminate opposition.

Ironic in that former Mayor Cansdale, now Department of Works Superintendent, served the majority of those years as the Villages Mayor.

More ironic is hearing Republican Cansdale and Democrat Ron Giza (Co-Chair of the Town Democratic Party) partnering to get this party organized. Oil and water years ago.

The invite read: We pledge to only hold meetings when necessary, elect the best and the brightest candidates, no bylaws, membership dues or mandatory attendance.

Kinda sounds like the ‘we’ is a select few who will make the decisions and have no accountability to the voters.

The Integrity Party attendees give the appearance of a cabal; an unholy alliance committed to damaging the political re-election campaign of current VOL Mayor Schroeder and Town of Lancaster council candidate Dawn Gaczewski.

Ah politics, you can almost smell the manure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Enjoyed reading the past 30 years of the VOL political party history, Mark. From all you have written and from personal involvement in the town and village politics, this is my perspective. BTW- rebranding, excellent verbiage.

The Integrity Party invite read:

Ah, the plot thickens!

Everyone welcome, except conservatives and the Chair of the Citizens’ Party.

Lee,

If one analyzes the composition of the purported "integrity Party," it seems to be a blend of disaffected rogue Republicans who stand in challenge to the "New Republicans" and the ruling hardline-Democrat Party machine; a near-mirror image of the same collective actors that in 2019, supported Ruffino over Gaczewski, and presumably gambled the appropriate functions and competency of the Town Clerk's Office in their joint efforts to unseat Diane Terranova.

Now, that same bunch wants to weaponize their toxic politics against the village? YIKES!

IMHO, that September 23 meeting was not a political or civic gathering; it was a tour, for a select audience, of Lancaster's political version of the Wuhan Lab.

"All Welcome?"

LMAO.

That "All Welcome" invitation appears to have been circulated to a limited audience, and may have been cynically developed as a contingency therapeutic, should the true origins of the virus become known.

Perhaps they will patent the therapeutic under the label...?

"Mohrffino"
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 28th, 2020 at 02:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information