Today’s Buffalo News’ Everybody’s Column letter was ‘spot on’ – IMO. Respect given is respect earned. A very timely letter considering this is the commemoration of 9/11.

I would also like to commend the Lancaster police for being exemplary in the services they provide and in the manner they provide them!

Show police some respect and get it back in return

Since the killing of George Floyd and now the Jacob Blake shooting there has been violence directed at the police in general. I have known many police over my entire life and everyone has been an outstanding person, and I believe the vast majority of cops are. They too have parents, spouses, children and loved ones who must be traumatized when they go to work.

Destructive rioters throw bricks, bottles etc. at them, spit at them, yell foul names in their faces. Besides the emotional stress hundreds have been injured, many killed and run over.

They come to work facing hostility and danger and try to keep order and it seems to me, many try to demonize them. The media seems to spin everything against them. The politicians seem to throw them under the bus and cater to the mobs and even try to justify their lawlessness and destruction.

As crime is out of control in many cities there are cries to “defund the police.” The police, I believe, are our only hope for law and order. Without them we will be living in fear.

Law enforcement officers are not out to hurt anyone. They have a job to do, often unpopular and sometimes nearly impossible. Show respect, give it – get it. Disrespect works the same way.

Besides the attacks on police they have released prisoners, stopped bail, appeased the rioters and crime has soared.