Thread: Someone asked me if I sit on facebook all day

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Someone asked me if I sit on facebook all day

Someone asked me if I sit on facebook all day

I will skim facebook when I'm on hold or waiting for a client's computer to do it's thing while I'm connected remotely.

Today I worked on 5 computers on the bench, did paper work for billing, helped 3 walk-ins.

Here was an interesting one....

Client calls, makes a point of saying he's a college student and needs his laptop repaired. Screen stopped working. Got out of him that it was recently dropped, worked after the drop but stopped working today. Father comes in a couple of hours later. I was already far behind so I figured another 30 minutes won't make a difference. Didn't see any visible cracks but the hinges did seem loose and the screen really didn't work.

After removing the frame and removing the mounting screws for the screen we saw this:

You can clearly see that the retainer clip was not clipped into place. The drop must have been hard enough that the plug stopped making contact. I was told the screen was replaced shortly after the Dell laptop was purchased.

Dell Laptop Video Cable Connector

After flipping the clip back into it's correct position this is how it's supposed to clip down. Once we verified that the screened worked I put another piece of tape over the original tape to hold everything in place. Hinges were loose because the screws were loose. Got a 5 star google review for that one.

Dell Laptop Video Cable Connector

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Seems school students are being given Chrome books. Had a mom/daughter stop in today. The chrome book was "stuck" on the opening screen. The daughter accidentally turned on some of the accessibility options and magnified everything. They couldn't figure out what was going on. At first I didn't know what was going on because I don't use a chrome books. That was easy to figure out once I knew what was going on....

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Another walk-in was in sorry shape.

A very nice HP x360 i5 who's hinge seized up. Client opened it and literally ripped one of the hinges off the screen lid. Brass screw mounts broken right off the top. When he went to push the "screen" back seeing it separated from the lid it shattered.

A replacement lid was about $70, screen assembly was about $140 and a pair of hinges were $48.

Without shipping that would be about $260 in parts. When asked what would I do I said I would use this as a reason to get a new laptop I said please don't make me fix this one. Just save the data before the video cable that is being pinched by the broken hinge finally fails.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Another walk-in....

People buy very low end tablets which are actually fine for kids. They put them into heavier plastic type holders.

Issue is the power plug sockets wear out and break. They rarely make backups of the photos the kids took.

This gives you an idea what is available.

https://amzn.to/2F0WFiD

Many people don't realize it's just better to go buy a new tablet than take the time to source the needed parts to fix these things.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    These are time wasters when you trouble shoot.

This one just fires up, makes a odd noise, flashes 00 on the diagnostic LED for an instance then repeats.

Uses a ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO motherboard.

Could be the power supply, CPU or board.

This will come apart tomorrow

Computer Parts

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quick screen replacement. Well I thought.

Computer Parts

Figured the customer would be happy it came in early...

Removed the plastic protective plastic and saw this nasty scratch.

Scratch on LCD Laptop Screen

So now a 20 minute job will take an extra few days.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    2 of these today

Mechanical drives fail but hopefully I can retrieve all the data. Many people never backup their data. Pop in SSD drive and reload windows if the laptop isn't that too old.

Computer Parts

SSD laptop drives dropped quite a bit since they came out

https://amzn.to/330andF

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    And just got this one finished up

A Lenovo Ideapad 330s

A very nice woman tried to install a printer driver. By the time she was done trying to do so the laptop would fully load into windows. Just an arrow and a black screen after logging in with her password. Many people just point and click without paying attention to what they are clicking on. Have no idea if she really down loaded a printer driver or not. Took the drive out, copied her files and installed windows 10 clean. Seems to work fine now. All updates went through without issue. Now it will run a memtest for a few hours.

How to do a windows 10 ram memory test

That's easy... Start button > settings > administrative tools > windows memory diagnostics > then restart now. Follow the prompts on reboot.

Lenovo ideapad 330s

Isn't this weird? I wanted to see what optional drivers were available.

INTEL System dated 7/18/1968

Lenovo ideapad 330s

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I was up at 8 am .....

Checked on the lenovo 330s and the memory test passed. Once at work I'll wipe off any covid germs if there are any.

Now I'm going to sound like a commercial

I only use this brand

Max Professional IA-003-951 Isopropyl Alcohol Cleaner - 16 oz.

Moderate evaporation
    Safe on plastics
    Ideal for circuit boards and electronics
    Ideal for equipment and electrical repair
    Electrical grade

https://amzn.to/3bs6P7Y

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It never stops...

A little old but works fine...Gonna see if I happen to have some RAM that will work in this.

Lenovo G575.

Lenovo Laptop G575

This is why you where disposable gloves even before covid

Lenovo Laptop G575

That unit is slow. I'm not a hoarder. At least I tell myself that..

Had only 2 gigs of RAM. Not it has 4. Will help a little bit.

Lenovo G575 Memory Ram

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    These are always interesting

A HP 14-dk 002wm Laptop power jack replacement

People tend to walk around with the power adapter plugged into the side. They hit the side on a door jam or catch the cord on their foot and bust the power jack.

In some cases they even rip out the brass threaded pieces from the laptop lid. This wasn't that bad but they did mangle up the snaps that hold the power jack in place. Super glue works but they are told don't break it again. It ain't coming back out.

I wonder how well UV cured glue works

Something like this:

https://amzn.to/3m689lF

Thread Information