Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Petition To The Lancaster Central School District?

A Petition To The Lancaster Central School District?

I understand this to be the text of a petition prepared for the consideration of the LCSD community, and it is presented for your information without comment:

Given the horrific acts of racial injustice perpetrated over the past several weeks by police officers and ordinary citizens alike—themselves only a snapshot of the racist acts and systematic racial abuses committed for centuries prior—we are deeply concerned that the education being provided by the Lancaster Central School District is insufficient to prepare its students for understanding and acting in service of the social problems of our modern world.

Social constructs of race, along with concepts of structural and institutional forms of racism, are social scientific facts taught in classrooms across the country as a fundamental part of any academic coursework in sociology, political science, history, anthropology, and psychology, among other disciplines. Moreover, concrete knowledge of federal and local exclusionary policies that uphold this system - policies such as redlining, school segregation, and other forms of economic and racial exclusion - are imperative to a thorough modern education, as the effects of these policies are still alive and well today. Yet these ideas were absent from the curriculum throughout our tenure in the Lancaster Central School District.

Failing to provide this comprehensive education is irresponsible to Lancaster's students as future members of their communities and citizens of this country as a whole. Unless the district takes a stand on these issues, teachers will not have the support or resources to teach these ideas and information in the classroom. As one of the best school districts in the state, we have a mandate to do better by our students. As a community that cares for its residents, we have a mandate to do better by all who call Lancaster home.

The superintendent has released a public statement on the death of George Floyd but this statement does not go far enough. The LCSD should take an explicit anti-racism position and directly affirm that Black lives matter. Currently, there is not even a statement of equality in relation to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or ability on the district website that is authored by the administration.

In Lancaster, we pride ourselves on a high standard of achievement and so we demand that the LCSD do better in this regard. Therefore, we demand that the Lancaster Central School District take the following actions, across all grade levels, to correct this educational injustice for future generations of students:

- Release a public statement affirming that Black lives matter and that LCSD is working on an anti-racism curriculum.

- Publish a statement of equality on the district website.

- Develop an English curriculum that includes more works by people of color, at minimum proportional to the representation of each of the major non-White racial groups (Black, Hispanic, Asian) in the United States.

- Develop an “un-whitewashed” American history curriculum that centers the experiences of African Americans in the Transatlantic Slave Trade, Native Americans in the colonization of North America, and other non-White racial groups in major historical events.

- Develop a social studies curriculum that includes explicit pedagogy of social scientific concepts of race, including, but not limited to: structural and institutional racism; racial segregation, race as a social construct; national and global legacies of racial inequality.

- Develop a social studies curriculum that includes explicit pedagogy of social scientific concepts that have been shown to intersect with race, including, but not limited to: structural and institutional classism, sexism, and heterosexism; social constructs of class and gender; heteronormativity; privilege and inequality broadly.

- Implement mandatory summer reading for high school students that comprises texts addressing issues of racism, classism, sexism, and heterosexism as a first step toward developing an introductory course for all high school freshmen focused on these issues.

- Actively recruit teachers of color and district board members of color, e.g. by posting job opportunities to graduates of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), enlisting the help of teachers’ unions, and reaching out to specialized programs that recruit teachers of color.

- Create a transparent system for tracking recruitment efforts and reporting race statistics for candidates interviewed, offers given, and tenure granted. Publish reports and review goals annually.

Reference: https://www.change.org/p/diversify-a...chool-district
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 1st, 2020 at 09:00 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

People need to contact their BOE members and really scrutinize the details of this thing, just my opinion of course.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    People need to contact their BOE members and really scrutinize the details of this thing, just my opinion of course.
    THis is just my opinion.
    - Release a public statement affirming that Black lives matter and that LCSD is working on an anti-racism curriculum.
    Releasing a public statement affirming that Black lives matter is putting a segment of the population on a pedestal
    Releasing a public statement that LCSD is working on an anti-racism curriculum is on my opinion better alone

- Publish a statement of equality on the district website.
    That's the way to go in my opinion as All lives matter.
    Anti-racism is something that should be taught at home.

The rest is just going overboard in my opinion

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

The rest is just going overboard in my opinion
    To a significant extent I share your opinion Gorja.

Among other curiosities, the petitioners, although seeking redress for sins, which in part, arise out of issues of EXCLUSION...

"Moreover, concrete knowledge of federal and local EXCLUSIONARY policies that uphold this system - policies such as redlining, school segregation, and other forms of economic and racial EXCLUSION..."
    ... seem to seek a solution which smacks of the exact same transgression(s) for which they beg remedy...

-" Develop an “un-whitewashed” American history curriculum that CENTERS the experiences of ...NON-WHITE racial groups in major historical events."

As such, the demand referred to above appears to contradict, or at the very least seemingly reduces in intended effectiveness, the petitioners' previous philosophical demand...

"- Publish a statement of equality on the district website."
    Just my opinion, but the petitioners seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouths.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 2nd, 2020 at 10:30 AM.

The petition was posted 3 months ago, for some reason when you open the link it shows zero signatures then starts counting up towards 1500. Piece of garbage cut and paste change.org posted by someone in town with white guilt

I understand this to be the text of a petition prepared for the consideration of the LCSD community, and it is presented for your information without comment:

Reference: https://www.change.org/p/diversify-a...chool-district
    IMO, I think social and racial divide have been around generationally. I would like to quote from the Atlantic Education History, "If a race has no history, if it has no worthwhile tradition, it becomes a negligible factor in the thought of the world, and it stands in danger of being exterminated." In reading your aforementioned post Mark, I got the impression that it was only Black history that needs to be taught and white history was to either take a back seat or be "whitewashed" as they implied. I think it is important to teach history that is inclusive to "all" races and how we got here in present times. It should be taught with a comprehensive approach.

The danger I see in teaching "black lives matter" and not "all lives matter" limits and segregates in a conditional manipulative fashion. If the hope is to integrate all lives as "we are in this together" as people of all colors, all religious beliefs, all political viewpoints and all sexual orientation(s) without biases-we might be able to move past this segregation that has been manufactured since Obama.

Education should focus on math, science and history. Social and political viewpoints should be taught at home. It should be the responsibility of the parents to guide their children. Education has become a football to whatever is popular under the Democratic party. We cannot stigmatize by legitimizing that one race is better than another race. How did we get here? I believe in irradiating social injustice 100%, but we are humans and humans have held preferences since the beginning of time.

I totally believe in school choice and think that if parents do not feel comfortable with their school districts format, options should be available for families.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I would like to quote from the Atlantic Education History, "If a race has no history, if it has no worthwhile tradition, it becomes a negligible factor in the thought of the world, and it stands in danger of being exterminated."
    YES...

In reading your aforementioned post Mark, I got the impression that it was only Black history that needs to be taught and white history was to either take a back seat or be "whitewashed" as they implied.
    ...YES...

I think it is important to teach history that is inclusive to "all" races and how we got here in present times. It should be taught with a comprehensive approach.
    ...and YES ! ! !

As written, the demand would view the history of our black brethren only through the prism of the Transatlantic Slave Trade; an exclusive focus on the Native American only in the consideration of colonization and the attendant Westward Expansion, and the exclusive contributions of the Non-White to history.

It is curious that the term "unwashed" is used by the petitioner to refer to the proposed history Curriculum, because it focuses strictly on the sin that stains some whites, without regard to the broader more inspiring story of redemptive cleansing.

Such obsessive focus upon the racial and social atrocities, may be analogous to an exclusive obsession by those who believe in the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin, upon the distressing bloodstains of the scourging and execution, rather than the resident evidence of divine resurrection.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 2nd, 2020 at 01:36 PM.

In light of some semantic curiosities, I wonder exactly what possible organization and/or affiliated individual(s) may have actually authored this "petition?"

The petition specifies that it was generated by "Members of the Lancaster Community."

With that expressed, this comment employs a rather curious choice of words...

As a community that cares for its residents, we have a mandate to do better by all who call Lancaster home.

...as does this rather suspicious comment...

Yet these ideas were absent from the curriculum throughout our tenure in the Lancaster Central School District.
    I did not think that the residents of the Lancaster Community hold a MANDATE, and had , or still hold, a TENURE in the Lancaster Central School District.

Do we get a pension and other retirement benefits?

Perhaps "OBLIGATION" would be a more appropriate term than "MANDATE?"

Perhaps "EXPERIENCE" would be a more appropriate term than "TENURE?"

Curious, curious, curious.

Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 2nd, 2020 at 04:19 PM.

The danger I see in teaching "black lives matter" and not "all lives matter" limits and segregates in a conditional manipulative fashion.
    shortstuff, All Lives Matter goes without saying, it's a given, and the BLM folks agree with that 100%.

There's a lot written that explains the reason for BLM, maybe check some out to better see where people are coming from.

Let me be clear: stating that black lives matter doesn’t insinuate that other lives don’t.

BY RACHEL ELIZABETH CARGLE - APR 16, 2019

"As someone who is constantly bombarded with the howling of “but all lives matter”—and the heated conversations that inevitably follow—let me explain. Black Lives Matter is not a term of confrontation or an exclusionary demand. As Columbia Law Professor Kimberle Crenshaw explains, saying black lives matter “is simply aspirational;” it's a rallying cry for a shift in statistical numbers that show that people who are black are twice as likely to be killed by a police officer while unarmed, compared to a white individual. According to a 2015 study, African-Americans died at the hands of police at a rate of 7.2 per million, while whites were killed at a rate of 2.9 per million."

"We Are Trained Marxists" - Patrisse Cullors, Co-Founder, #BlackLivesMatter
    Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEUbSzOTZ8
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 3rd, 2020 at 09:22 PM.

So, the co-founder of the racist Make NY Red, Mark Blazejewski, posts another misleading dog whistle in order to beat up BLM.

Have you no shame, sir?

All of the BS "Projection," and wanton distortion aside, I wonder if the Democrat Supervisor Ron Ruffino and, given the values that he expressed, if the Democrat candidate for Town Council Mike Wozniak have signed, or will sign, this petition?

After all, does not the petition suggest that it was generated by Members of the Lancaster Community?

As a Lancaster resident, I feel that I am entitled to know where our town's Supervisor and the Democrat candidate that he endorsed for Town Council, stand on an issue which may so broadly effect the families and the children of Lancaster.

Click On My Wozniak's words:

image (85).jpg
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 3rd, 2020 at 10:38 PM.

So #Breezy just tipped us the Lancaster DemControllers have recieved their #DNC #BLM talking points. He's been reading the required propaganda and party lines - so we can assume our elected local #Dems will follow suit at least until November 3rd.

Desperation is growing every day !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post

Desperation is growing every day !
    Absolutely 4248, and that is why all of the meaningless posts which exclusively celebrate name-calling and twisted interpretations, but offering nothing else. Those posts are invariably filled with venomous name-calling, dog whistling and blatant lies such as "co-founder of the racist Make NY Red."

(Gee, if I only had screen shots of my complete past social media activity, just musing.)

Most concerning is the dog whistling, which potentially serves to risk the well-being of innocent children, elderly residents, people, and property of a peaceful community. Is it any wonder that such actors write under an anonymous screen name?

And those same radical Leftist outsiders would seek to tell us what our values should be, and how to vote?

BTW, this is a genuine co-founder of a group, who actually admits to her Marxist COMMUNIST training and philosophy...

And good for her.

Does she not nobly stand in contrast to the Left-wing extremist Democrat party hacks who want to repackage themselves as moderates or even Conservatives, and project their extremist behavior on to others, all in a shallow, deflective, and pathetically feeble attempt to feed their disgusting, but thinly-disguised, Marxist poison to the nation, including Lancaster, eh?

Just askin'.

Once again, this is a genuine co-founder of a group, who actually admits to her Marxist COMMUNIST training and philosophy...

Pathetic and Evil!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 4th, 2020 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    shortstuff, All Lives Matter goes without saying, it's a given, and the BLM folks agree with that 100%.

There's a lot written that explains the reason for BLM, maybe check some out to better see where people are coming from.

Let me be clear: stating that black lives matter doesn’t insinuate that other lives don’t.

BY RACHEL ELIZABETH CARGLE - APR 16, 2019

"As someone who is constantly bombarded with the howling of “but all lives matter”—and the heated conversations that inevitably follow—let me explain. Black Lives Matter is not a term of confrontation or an exclusionary demand. As Columbia Law Professor Kimberle Crenshaw explains, saying black lives matter “is simply aspirational;” it's a rallying cry for a shift in statistical numbers that show that people who are black are twice as likely to be killed by a police officer while unarmed, compared to a white individual. According to a 2015 study, African-Americans died at the hands of police at a rate of 7.2 per million, while whites were killed at a rate of 2.9 per million."
    Absolutely Breezy I believe that when we teach about something that is systemic and intolerant to our societal norms, the pathways to teaching zero-intolerance must be youth and community based. If school choice, community involvement, youth centers integration into the district learning, organizational sporting events that involve all youths and spiritual guidance will help families and children navigate with a comprehensive approach. If we integrate all lives rather than segregate the term Black Lives matter, we show a model of "being in this together." We need to teach about all cultures and its struggles and successes historically, we need to integrate the "exceptional child" as we are all different but collectively we are again "in this together" philosophy.

It's just the intent Breezy of expecting white people to admit/confess that they are inherently racist is simply not true. I can tell you that I am not a racist person, therefore I have nothing to apologize for. I don't see people by their color, I see people by their behavior(s). That is what we should teach in school aside from the history of all cultures. We should teach that behaviors will put you on two different paths, a good path that brings you a great life or a bad path that brings you to the prison cell. They are teaching school to prison not by the behavior but by the color of ones skin. Let's change that stigma and emphasize behaviors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information