Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fusion voting corrupt, I’m shocked – NOT!

Fusion voting corrupt, I’m shocked – NOT!

The following report appeared in a recent Buffalo News edition.

The Editorial Board: Parlato ballot swap shows gaps in New York's fusion system

https://buffalonews.com/opinion/edit...e6d1bf967.html

New York’s crooked system of fusion voting has struck again. This time it’s collusion by the Republican and Conservative parties, which jumped through hoops to ensure that one candidate – Conservative Beth Parlato – didn’t drain votes away from the other – Republican Chris Jacobs. Once again, voters have been had.

This is a bipartisan manipulation that Democrats have also been happy to use. If it’s not quite rigging the election, it’s close to it. New York needs to do away with it, and the related, anti-democratic problems of cross-endorsements and of “fusion voting” in which candidates can appear on more than one party’s line.

Fusion voting is a different kind of abomination. It confuses voting and encourages corrupt deals among party bosses. It is unwarranted life support for parties that have too little public backing to survive on their own. So why bother?

Comment

As a lifelong ‘blank’, unable to vote in a primary, fusion voting never bothered me until several years ago when manipulation and corruption between major and minor political parties became so prominent in Lancaster that it took away from an individual the right to vote on a line other than Democrat or Republican.

For years, I found it abhorrent to vote for a candidate on either the Democrat or Republican ballot lines. I will only do so if I can’t find my candidate of choice on a minor party line. It has become more difficult to find that candidate because too often the endorsed party candidate does not appear on the ballot line.

With primarying against candidates endorsed by minor parties, candidates who had requested interview, were interviewed, vetted and selected by majority committee vote, too often that candidate is primaried by an individual who did not request party interview, was not vetted and in fact does not share or represent that party’s ideology / philosophy.

Is that fair? All’s fair in love, war and politics! What is not right is that in Lancaster this year the true registered conservative will not be on the Conservative line ballot.

It is my understanding that some of the minor lines may be gone after this election year based on party voter turnout percentage. No big deal with the Independence Party because it has become manipulated and corrupted. It appears the Conservative Party will exist. If so, I would like to see a rule change where the party endorsed candidate is the one appearing on the ballot – no primary

No l1th hour flip-flopping by an individual endorsed by another party to register into another party to be eligible to run for office – especially when that individual has been a lifelong member of the endorsed party having a different ideology and when serving on that party as a committee member.

It is troubling to hear that the BOE Commissioners may be players in the deceit.

I would miss the independence of fusion voting, but not with the systemic fraud now taking place.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    It appears the Conservative Party will exist. If so, I would like to see a rule change where the party endorsed candidate is the one appearing on the ballot – no primary
    I'd have to disagree. The primaries give the chance for all voters in that party to cast their vote rather than having a candidate chosen just by the party hierarchy.

So you think Fudoli getting on the Conservative ballot in 2011 was wrong, eh?

I don't think so. We need to have every vote count. Then and now, IMHO.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I'd have to disagree. The primaries give the chance for all voters in that party to cast their vote rather than having a candidate chosen just by the party hierarchy.
    I do not presume to speak for Mr. C., but perhaps his comments may go to the issue of the true intent, in connection with what some may perceive to be the new member's time-suspicious and perhaps opportunistic, enrollment in the minor party?

If in fact voters have engaged their new enrollment for reasons of political manipulation, would not such a disingenuous, if not sinister, enrollment serve to disenfranchise those members who truly embrace the party's philosophy?

I know that for myself, I had been a member of the Republican Party for well over forty years, but I simply no longer could not abide, along with its wheeling and dealing, its pale pastels philosophy. As such, I chose to identify with a party whose core philosophy reflected my own; a statement to the Republican establishment and a comfort to myself when I look into the mirror.

With that said, when a party is flooded with enrollments by "new members" who have historically embraced a philosophy opposed to the fundamental principles of their "new party," is it not only common sense to scrutinize and assess their motivation?

The Buffalo News seemed to raise such a question some years ago...

Buffalo News, July 31, 2003
    By NIKI CERVANTES AND HAROLD MCNEIL and NIKI CERVANTES AND ANTHONY CARDINALE and NIKI CERVANTES AND BECKY OSVATH and NIKI CERVANTES AND JANE KWIATKOWSKI and LOU MICHEL AND NIKI CERVANTES and JERRY ZREMSKI AND NIKI CERVANTES and LEN DELMAR AND NIKI CERVANTES and MARY PASCIAK AND NIKI CERVANTES and NIKI CERVANTES and NIKI CERVANTES AND ELMER PLOETZ |Published Thu, Jul 31, 2003

The surprise defections to a rival political party by the wife of Lancaster's supervisor and the wife and daughter of two allies has set off a round of angry finger-pointing and accusations.

But it is not Supervisor Robert H. Giza, a Democrat, who is upset by his wife's decision to switch political allegiances.

The one feeling betrayed here is Hank Gull, the leader of the town's Independence Party -- and an unabashed Giza detractor.

Much to Gull's dismay, his party now counts Giza's wife, Carol, as one of its newer members. Joining her are Michele Montour, the wife of Councilman Mark Montour, and Danielle Ruffino, the daughter of Councilman Ronald Ruffino.

"They are infiltrators," Gull said of the women. "They were deployed on the slim chance that they might be able to do some good later on. It is very devious."
    Both Giza and Ruffino denied that allegation. Montour did not return calls to comment.

"My wife isn't political," Giza said. "She just wanted to be Independence. This is America. You can join any political party you want."

Gull says the new members managed to get enough signatures to force the Independence Party's endorsed candidates into a potentially damaging primary Sept. 9.

Now Lancaster Mayor William G. Cansdale, a Republican running against Giza in the November election, will have to fight to retain the Independence Party line against Nicholas Sherwood, a Depew village trustee.

And the party's two endorsed candidates for the town board, Daniel R. Centinello and Kenneth L.O'Brien III, will run against Michael Myszka.

Both Sherwood and Myszka were leaders in the Independence Party before Gull took over. He accuses them of joining forces with the Democrats in an effort to regain control of the party.
    "It's a contrivance, that's for sure," he said.

Neither Sherwood nor Myszka could be reached to comment.

After learning there would be a primary, Gull said he checked the party's registration rolls and learned that the three women had all joined in October, within 12 days of each other.

They were part of a wave of 40 new members who had joined since 2002 alone, more than two-thirds of them Democrats and 20 of whom had registered in October, according to Board of Elections records.

Giza said the timing of his wife's registration was a coincidence, and that his wife had no idea Michele Montour or Danielle Ruffino had also joined.

Cansdale -- widely considered the strongest opponent Giza has faced in years -- said he believed the family members had been sent to the Independence Party to force him into a primary.
    "I think they're there to make mischief," he said.

The flap underscores the importance of the town's minor parties in the election this fall. The race for supervisor in particular is expected to be so close that either the Independence Party or Conservative Party could bring in the winner.

The Independence Party has 727 members, according to the Board of Elections, or 2.87 percent of the registered voters. The Conservative Party has 669 members, or 2.64 percent.
    Overall, 41 percent of the voters in Lancaster are Democrats; 30 percent are Republicans. Almost 23 percent of the voters are unaffiliated.
    e-mail: ncervantes@buffnews.com

Prior to his challenge in 2011, did not Supervisor Fudoli have a prior record as an Erie County Legislator reflective of conservative values consistent with the Conservative Party?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 26th, 2020 at 09:43 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I do not presume to speak for Mr. C., but perhaps his comments may go to the issue of the true intent, in connection with what some may perceive to be the new member's time-suspicious and perhaps opportunistic, enrollment in the minor party?

If in fact voters have engaged their new enrollment for reasons of political manipulation, would not such a disingenuous, if not sinister, enrollment serve to disenfranchise those members who truly embrace the party's philosophy?
    So political hacks have floated to the top of minor political parties?

I'm a little confused what is going on with Joe Gallo being the conservative party chair in Cheektowaga. Bashing Trump while I'm assuming the party itself supports Trump.

We need to have every vote count.
    Hmmm, "EVERY VOTE" Gorja?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 26th, 2020 at 10:06 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

I don't think so. We need to have every vote count. Then and now, IMHO.
    Again, as someone party unaffiliated and unable to vote in a primary, my outlook may differ from yours. At election time I will seek to vote for a candidate on a party line whose political ideology / identity aligns with that of the party he seeks to represent.

As for your Fudoli example, as I remember he challenged the then Conservative Party endorsed Democrat candidate for Supervisor believing as a Republican his values and political ideology best suited him to be endorsed as the Conservative Party candidate.

For years, the Conservative Party had been endorsing Democrats which was enigmatic to both party members and outsiders.

If I remember correctly, Fudoli won as a primary write-in candidate and won receiving less than 100 votes. That was the first time I heard the phrase ‘stealing the line’.

It was shortly thereafter that the Conservative Party Chair was replaced – whose son just happened to be a Democrat running for a town council position.

Yes, anyone can run for office and the public is best suited to choose the ‘most qualified’ candidate representing that party’s ideology. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case.

How many flip-floppers changed party affiliation this past year to the Conservative Party to serve the interests of their town board candidate choice to secure the Conservative Party endorsement, Gorga? An endorsement that has become more important every town Election.

I have no ‘standing’ in the primary but do have a voice in the election. I will not vote for a candidate who does not represent a party’s values and ideology. Shame on a party that can’t get its endorsed candidate across the finish line. Shame on a voter who is manipulated and misdirected in voting for a candidate who does not represent their or their party's best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

I know that for myself, I had been a member of the Republican Party for well over forty years, but I simply no longer could not abide, along with its wheeling and dealing, its pale pastels philosophy. As such, I chose to identify with a party whose core philosophy reflected my own; a statement to the Republican establishment and a comfort to myself when I look into the mirror.

With that said, when a party is flooded with enrollments by "new members" who have historically embraced a philosophy opposed to the fundamental principles of their "new party," is it not only common sense to scrutinize and assess their motivation?

The Buffalo News seemed to raise such a question some years ago...

Prior to his challenge in 2011, did not Supervisor Fudoli have a prior record as an Erie County Legislator reflective of conservative values consistent with the Conservative Party?
    Yes, but Lee only wants endorsed candidates to be on the ticket and no primary. Fudoli won as a write-in in the Conservative primary that year. Get my drift?

Georgia L Schlager

How many flip-floppers changed party affiliation this past year to the Conservative Party to serve the interests of their town board candidate choice to secure the Conservative Party endorsement, Gorga?
    I don't know but Dave Brown and Johanna Coleman do ring a bell, Lee

Georgia L Schlager

Yes, but Lee only wants endorsed candidates to be on the ticket and no primary. Fudoli won as a write-in in the Conservative primary that year. Get my drift?
    Again, I am not speaking for Lee.

In reacting to your comments, I strictly offered my opinion as a member of a minor party, whose fundamental principles reflect my very longstanding philosophy.

In that regard, I feel somewhat disenfranchised this year in connection with the Town Council race, especially in light of the 2019 Conservative Primary for Supervisor, from which emerged a so-called "conservative" candidate, whose first official act in that elected office, was not one of what I consider to be a true "Conservative" actor...

Lancaster Supervisor Unhappy About Stipend Stiff

Ronald Ruffino sought stipend for being town's budget official
    Reference: https://wben.radio.com/articles/lanc...-stipend-stiff
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 26th, 2020 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Again, I am not speaking for Lee.

In strictly reacting to your comments, I strictly offered my opinion as a member of a minor party, whose principles reflect my very longstanding philosophy.

In that regard, I feel somewhat disenfranchised.
    And this is what I said, "So you think Fudoli getting on the Conservative ballot in 2011 was wrong, eh?

I don't think so. We need to have every vote count. Then and now, IMHO
    ."

I was at that time in total agreement with that outcome. I just can't grasp a minority of voters from one party being the
    total decision makers for that party. If people from their party don't cast their vote, that's on them.

Georgia L Schlager

And this is what I said, "So you think Fudoli getting on the Conservative ballot in 2011 was wrong, eh?

I don't think so. We need to have every vote count. Then and now, IMHO
    ."

I was at that time in total agreement with that outcome. I just can't grasp a minority of voters from one party being the total decision makers for that party. If people from their party don't cast their vote, that's on them.
    From a philosophical standpoint, I have only questioned the quality of the genuine ingredients which were used to create what may have been a rather synthetic and highly diluted philosophical "majority" concoction, did I not?

Moreover, did I not simply ask if Fudoli historically held and applied very significant and commonly perceived, conservative credentials and policies years prior to his 2011 Conservative write-in campaign?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 26th, 2020 at 12:15 PM.

Originally posted by mark blazejewski:
    Moreover, did I not simply ask if Fudoli historically held and applied very significant and commonly perceived, conservative credentials and policies years prior to his 2011 Conservative write-in campaign?
    Yes, you did and I agree.

I joined the party so my vote would be a part of the primary process. I'm sure that's why others moved to the conservative party
    to be a part of the election process. I'd much rather have a candidate that was chosen by the majority of the voters
    of the party than by the chosen few. That's why I won't be a 'blank'

Georgia L Schlager

I joined the party so my vote would be a part of the primary process. I'm sure that's why others moved to the conservative party
    to be a part of the election process. I'd much rather have a candidate that was chosen by the majority of the voters
    My point is Gorja, when Dino Fudoli launched his write-in campaign for the Conservative line in 2011, his Conservative views were articulated in a previous campaign, endorsed by the voters, and very substantially applied while in office.

In 2020, can the so-called Conservative candidate for Town Council, Mr. Wozniak, very recently a Democrat I understand, claim a pedigree similar to Fudoli's?

I just wonder how many of those who in recent years, departed the Democrat Party and swarmed into the Conservative ranks, did so out of sincere shared philosophical values?

I also muse about how many of those Democrat defectors to the Conservative Party, or to the Independence Party for that matter, decisively impacted those lines over the years?

Do such voters in part explain the success of Mr. Ruffino in 2017 and 2019?

Ruffino, IMHO, is a recently-perceived "Conservative," only by virtue of his rather conspicuous touting of a handful of recent of showboat, if not throw-away, votes, which seemingly served to cover-over an approximately fifteen-year record of excessive liberal spending, patronage, and apparent kinship with developers.

Remember this empty, if not deceptive, concern about growth?...

From The Buffalo News, November 20, 2001:

"Ruffino said he's looking forward to the next four years on the Town Board. High on his list of goals is controlling growth, which he says will benefit the community as a whole."
    The Ruffino record on development since 2001...

*Summerfield Farms subdivision, phase 3, approved 12/03, 65 lots

*Whispering Pines subdivision approved 12/2004

*The Woodland at Pleasant Meadows subdivision, approved 2/06, 79 lots

*Summerfield Farms subdivision, part 4, approved 1/07, 45 lots

*Roseland subdivision, phase 2, approved 6/08, 59 lots

*Brookside Townhouses, approved 7/08, 39 units

*Pleasant Heights, approved 9/09, 8 homes

*Prairie Landing subdivision, approved 5/11, 21 units

*Hidden Pines, phase 1, approved 3/12

*The Greens at Pleasant Meadows, approved 5/08, 63 units

*Cross Creek subdivision, approved 1/08, 264 lots

Does that clear my position up?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 26th, 2020 at 03:15 PM.

As someone who treasures free speech and right to opine without fear of intimidation or retribution, I respect your opinion.

Changing party affiliation is noble when done for reason of wanting to align oneself with the values and ideology of the newly chosen party. To make a change to simply support a candidate who recently changed party affiliation in turn to challenge an endorsed party candidate on another party line is deceitful in my opinion – and why I never joined a party to begin.

Your disdain for Gaczewski is obvious and one must suspect that like Wozniak you changed party affiliation to support his candidacy. Where this has become the accepted norm in today’s politics and where all political parties practice like process, I do not favor it and will always remain a ‘blank’.

Your disdain for Gaczewski is obvious and one must suspect that like Wozniak you changed party affiliation to support his candidacy.
    I changed parties before I ever heard the name Wozniak.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information