Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what were they thinking!!!

what were they thinking!!!

Even though it is on a smaller scale, the town is wasting tax dollars by the bucket full in Dog Control... If this is any indication as to how the rest of the town is run I have concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by Wehner View Post
    Even though it is on a smaller scale, the town is wasting tax dollars by the bucket full in Dog Control... If this is any indication as to how the rest of the town is run I have concerns...
    What are your concerns regarding dog control? Please elaborate.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DebLemaster View Post
    What are your concerns regarding dog control? Please elaborate.

We have so much over spending it's not funny. Many people don't look as it as waste because they are in the system.

I'm going to get everyone's undies in bunch.

I consider "waste" when someone pays more for a service than required. They made it an art form in NYS. You want to see everyone happy but you get to a point where we do pay people more than is required in government. Especially when you are forcing people to pay for those services through taxes.

After to listening to Biden yesterday I see why government is as screwed up as it is. We have idiots throughout government who line their pockets with our money.

Wasting tax dollars by the bucket full? Where, Mike? Let’s put a stop to it!

In looking at past budgets, since 2009, I have been unable to say with certainty where the waste is coming from. Excluding the budget years from 2015-2017 where the town really didn’t have a functioning DCO operation that met state standards, THE waste is difficult to ascertain as the budget has three components – Personal Services (salaries), Equipment and Contractual - and they vary year-to-year in spending.

Total Dog Control Department Expenses

2009 - $99,750
    2013 - $104,677
    2014 – $104,701
    2018 - $92,284
    2019 - $166,594
    2020 - $150,300

Personal Services (department wages)

2009 - $79,006
    2013 - $95,177
    2014 - $95237
    2018 – $72,984
    2019 - $96,144
    2020 - $100,550

Equipment

2009 – 2018 Ranged from $1,400 per year to $7,000.
    2019 - $42,000
    2020 - $20,000

Contractual

2009 – 2018 Ranged from $8,100 to $12,300 (2018)
    2019 - $27,950
    2020 - $29,750

Increase in Personal Services (wages) doesn’t appear to be out of line.

Are the significant increases in equipment and contractual spending fiscally responsible or wasteful spending? Your thoughts, Mike, especially considering the effort that has been made in bringing this department to meet state standards.

I would like to see a report showing department revenue increase because of the department’s operation improvement.

And, how much more revenue could be had in this department if that dog census promised several years had been fulfilled and more dogs were licensed. Licensed and guaranteeing the public that the dog has been vaccinated for rabbis.

A couple revenue items

Dog licenses
    2009 $57,000 (Budgeted)
    2013 $49,858 (Actual)
    2014 $54,574 (Actual)
    2018 $70,064 (Actual)
    2019 $75,000 (Budgeted) $27,328 (Received up to 6/30/19)
    2020 $75,000 (Budgeted)

Fines and penalties
    2009 $1,000 (Budgeted)
    2013 $0 (Actual)
    2014 $0 (Actual)
    2018 $735 (Actual)
    2019 $200 (Budgeted) $205 (Received up to 6/30/19)
    2020 $200 (Budgeted)

Georgia L Schlager

Thank you, Gorga!

Examining the 2019 revenue stream you posted:

$75,000 in dog licensing is a credible amount.

According to the 2019 DCO activity report I posted in another thread:

Complaints or Calls Received: 1,966

Call Responded to/Follow-ups: 655

Compliance Notices: 757

Final Notices: 249

Appearance Tickets Issued: 92. Fines Collected: $560.00

Bite Reports Filed: 35

Dogs Redeemed: 91

Rescue Transfers: 8

SPCA Transfers: 3

Dogs Euthanized: 1

Dogs Deceased: 5

$560 collected for 92 court appearance tickets issued in 2019 – an average of $6 per court appearance. The answer I was given by the court when questioned on this was contestable. Perhaps former DCO Wehner can follow up on this and get a better understanding for the reason of the low revenue stream from violation penalties.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    $75,000 in dog licensing is a credible amount.
    According to the town clerk's annual report for 2019,
    the net total after senior discounts for dog licenses and redemption fees was -
    $70,769

Last edited by gorja; August 22nd, 2020 at 04:52 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

Even with it being a Covid year, this year's numbers seem to be on track with the numbers of the last 2 years

Licenses and redemption fees
    January $4,589.00
    February $4,540.00
    March $4,207.00
    April $3,791.00
    May $5,981.00
    June $9,023.00
    July $8,962.00
    $41,093.00

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So in the end this service costs more money than what it generates. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    So in the end this service costs more money than what it generates. Correct?

Indeed, as in every other service provided by municipalities that I am aware of and why we pay taxes.

The rate of revenue return to expenditure is quite high in this department and the tax load is low – especially compared to highway departments where revenue taken in to expenditure ratio is near non-existent and the tax load is high, and is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    According to the town clerk's annual report for 2019,
    the net total after senior discounts for dog licenses and redemption fees was -
    $70,769

does the late fee send up any red flags....it does with me...if i'm a senior paying an annual license dog fee of 5.00 and because of any number of circumstances i am late lets say two months renewing my license i would pay a ten dollar late fee...a annual late fee percentage of TWELVE HUNDRED PERCENT...what possible reasoning could justify an increase like this...this is the reason why through the efforts of the late Stanley Keysa, Bob Thill and myself we developed a delinquent notification program that insured the highest rate of renewals with the least amount of appearance tickets issued and by following procedure insured that DCO patrols covered the entire town...a total win win...increased visibility =less dog complaints= happy citizens...this program worked like a charm for over ten years...I can't see why it wouldn't again...

does the late fee send up any red flags....it does with me...if i'm a senior paying an annual license dog fee of 5.00 and because of any number of circumstances i am late lets say two months renewing my license i would pay a ten dollar late fee...a annual late fee percentage of TWELVE HUNDRED PERCENT...what possible reasoning could justify an increase like this...this is the reason why through the efforts of the late Stanley Keysa, Bob Thill and myself we developed a delinquent notification program that insured the highest rate of renewals with the least amount of appearance tickets issued and by following procedure insured that DCO patrols covered the entire town...a total win win...increased visibility =less dog complaints= happy citizens...this program worked like a charm for over ten years...I can't see why it wouldn't again...

Seriously, this is a big issue for you? Especially at a time when we are in the midst of a pandemic and county, town and school taxes are going to rise significantly for many Lancaster taxpayers.

Like all tax and fees are expected at a set time and weeks / months notices are submitted for payment, it is no different for dog licenses. Like you, as a senior I only pay $5, receive my payment notice several weeks in advance and pay the fee weeks in advance of due date, I have been a dog owner all my life and have never once missed a due date.

What I would like to see happen is for the town to finally conduct the promised dog census of a few years ago and get the thousands, yes thousands of unlicensed dogs registered - have the owners pay their fair share into the DCO program. More importantly, to have THE necessary certification that their dogs have had rabbi shots, thus ensure when dog bites occur the individual bitten is assured that he is safe from contacting rabbis.

As a former DCO, I would hope you would support this avenue to ensure public safety instead of concerning yourself with a late fee penalty of $10. At the same time, the added revenue would make the department more self-sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Seriously, this is a big issue for you? Especially at a time when we are in the midst of a pandemic and county, town and school taxes are going to rise significantly for many Lancaster taxpayers.

Like all tax and fees are expected at a set time and weeks / months notices are submitted for payment, it is no different for dog licenses. Like you, as a senior I only pay $5, receive my payment notice several weeks in advance and pay the fee weeks in advance of due date, I have been a dog owner all my life and have never once missed a due date.

What I would like to see happen is for the town to finally conduct the promised dog census of a few years ago and get the thousands, yes thousands of unlicensed dogs registered - have the owners pay their fair share into the DCO program. More importantly, to have THE necessary certification that their dogs have had rabbi shots, thus ensure when dog bites occur the individual bitten is assured that he is safe from contacting rabbis.

As a former DCO, I would hope you would support this avenue to ensure public safety instead of concerning yourself with a late fee penalty of $10. At the same time, the added revenue would make the department more self-sufficient.
    As DCO I conducted a dog enumeration every summer... with the help of two college students we were able to cover one third of the town every year without having to require an increase in budget...every year these students paid for themselves through the increase of licenses issued...a win win...

As DCO I conducted a dog enumeration every summer... with the help of two college students we were able to cover one third of the town every year without having to require an increase in budget...every year these students paid for themselves through the increase of licenses issued...a win win...
    Agree, Mike. Any money spent to perform a dog census would be more that compensated for by the increase in license fees - and again, more importantly, ensuring the dogs licensed would require rabbi vaccination / certification and eliminating a public safety threat from a dog bite.

I know the DCO has been advocating for the census and the town promised a census would be done several years ago. Hopefully, this process takes place with approval in the upcoming budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Agree, Mike. Any money spent to perform a dog census would be more that compensated for by the increase in license fees - and again, more importantly, ensuring the dogs licensed would require rabbi vaccination / certification and eliminating a public safety threat from a dog bite.

I know the DCO has been advocating for the census and the town promised a census would be done several years ago. Hopefully, this process takes place with approval in the upcoming budget.
    Yes, I think it's more doable the way Mike did it, a portion of the town every year

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information