Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what were they thinking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Yes, I think it's more doable the way Mike did it, a portion of the town every year
    The Town of Tonawanda did a dog census in 2019. The police officers did the census. I think their population is over 70,000 and they found it was doable. I wonder of anyone from the town ever inquired about their process.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The Town of Tonawanda did a dog census in 2019. The police officers did the census. I think their population is over 70,000 and they found it was doable. I wonder of anyone from the town ever inquired about their process.
    Regarding population difference, apples to oranges unless municipalities incorporated into town is known, number of households, dog control department size and budget, number of households visited, etc.

That said, I would question using valuable public safety police resources and costs to conduct a dog census.

I would like to hear the town’s response to your observation. Several years ago the Lancaster town board committed to performing a town wide dog census (incorporated Villages of Lancaster and Depew as well). It never happened.
    The current dog control officer (DCO) included in her budget $5,000 to perform a town wide census. Her dog census budget was cut in half and she was told to do half the town.

The DCO was also advised to do a mail census to reduce census expense – like that will work. And you believe the town would approve police resources and associated costs to do a dog census?

There are over 5,000 licensed dogs in Lancaster. It is conservatively estimated that there are at least that number unregistered. The amount spent to conduct a dog census would easily be returned in licensing fees – more importantly public safety would be enhanced knowing the dogs had been vaccinated for rabbis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information