I write to update you on the COVID situation in New York State.

We have made incredible progress over the last five months. New York State was the nation's first epicenter and now we are one of the very few states where COVID is under control. We didn't just bend the curve, we shattered it — thanks to the effort and smart choices of all New Yorkers.

Total hospitalizations have fallen below 600, reaching record lows. We are testing more than any other state and more than any other country per capita, and thousands of contact tracers are working around the clock to trace and prevent outbreaks. Every community in the state is now in Phase 4 of reopening (see the industry-by-industry guidance here). Happily, the infection rate has continued to decline even as the whole state entered Phase 4, showing that our cautious and science-based approach to reopening worked.

For a full list of Coronavirus-related resources available by the state, visit https://coronavirus.ny.gov.

All this progress, however, comes with a flashing caution sign. Our state still faces two dangerous threats.

The first is the threat of COVID spreading from other states. In response to this threat, we have issued a travel advisory for people coming from states with high COVID rates, but our progress remains at risk until the COVID pandemic is under control nationally.

The second threat is that we become lax and let our guard down, allowing the virus to spread. Unlike the threat from outside infections, this one is in our control. We have the ability and the duty to act responsibly. That means wearing a mask. It means not hosting or attending large and crowded parties. It means getting tested, especially if you have symptoms, and it means cooperating with contact tracers if you are positive for COVID. In brief, it means looking out for one another.

On a separate note, this year is also the year of the 2020 Census, and it is crucial that all New Yorkers fill out the Census, because we know by now that New Yorkers should never be overlooked, and we shouldn't be undercounted, either. Please fill out the Census and tell friends and loved ones to do the same — it will help ensure that all New Yorkers get the federal representation and benefits that are their right.

Finally, I know that for all New Yorkers, this has been an extremely trying experience — whether you lost a loved one, a job, or if you continue to lose sleep due to the stress of this pandemic. I mourn with all New Yorkers on behalf of all those lost to this virus, and I share in the anxiety, too.

But we are New York Tough. I have no doubt that we can continue our progress in our fight against COVID by depending upon the solidarity, strength and compassion that makes New York New York.

Ever Upward,

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo